DNS Error 4004 and 4015

dzbom

Sep 26, 2007, 2:25:42 AM9/26/07

Hi All

I got this issue currently, I have been searching for the solution, and
reading a lot of Tags and Threads from this helpful forum as well. But I
still can't find the solution for my particular case.

Here is our system

1X 2003 server AD integrated - Domain controller
1X SQL server - 2003 member serrver.

That is it.

When I looked at the DNS event with the filter, the error 4015 has
started since the server was first built. And there were about 4 DNS
ISP IP address in TCP/IP properties, I already took them off, so that
there is only IP address which is pointing itself 192.168.0.1.
And it happens randomly anytime it likes, and it stops DNS server, only
way to get DNS server back on line is 'RESTART" the server and that is a
pain.

So is it because there is only one DC with DNS? please confim.
Any reply would be appreciated.

Cheers

--
dzbom
dzbom's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=31604

http://forums.techarena.in

Meinolf Weber

Sep 26, 2007, 4:29:14 AM9/26/07
Hello dzbom,

Did you also checked this one:
http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2/Event-Id-4004-4014-error-ftopict455051.html

typo in the doc 4014 is 4015

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi All
>
> I got this issue currently, I have been searching for the solution,
> and reading a lot of Tags and Threads from this helpful forum as well.
> But I still can't find the solution for my particular case.
>
> Here is our system
>
> 1X 2003 server AD integrated - Domain controller
> 1X SQL server - 2003 member serrver.
> That is it.
>
> When I looked at the DNS event with the filter, the error 4015 has
> started since the server was first built. And there were about 4 DNS
> ISP IP address in TCP/IP properties, I already took them off, so that
> there is only IP address which is pointing itself 192.168.0.1.
> And it happens randomly anytime it likes, and it stops DNS server,
> only
> way to get DNS server back on line is 'RESTART" the server and that is
> pain.
> So is it because there is only one DC with DNS? please confim. Any
> reply would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>

> http://forums.techarena.in

dzbom

Sep 26, 2007, 7:24:33 AM9/26/07

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I did have a look this solution but we don't
have "." root zone at the first place. So we can rule out this.

I am still seeking for the solution.

Meinolf Weber

Sep 26, 2007, 8:32:40 AM9/26/07
Hello dzbom,

More then one option is here:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4015&eventno=333&source=DNS&phase=1

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi

> Thanks for your reply. I did have a look this solution but we don't
> have "." root zone at the first place. So we can rule out this.
>
> I am still seeking for the solution.
>
> Cheers
>

> http://forums.techarena.in

Jorge Silva

Sep 26, 2007, 1:54:26 PM9/26/07
Hi
If this error is at system startup you can ignore it.
Or you can point that server to other available DNS and check if the error
still happens.
--
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
"Meinolf Weber" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message

dzbom

Sep 26, 2007, 6:08:44 PM9/26/07

To Meinolf

Thanks for your link and reply. I have been there and tried all of them
but no go.

To Jorge

Thanks for your suggestion, as I mentioned early, it happens randomly
and I does not happen when start up and unfortunately I have only one
DC with DNS :(.

Much appreciated your replies.

Please help. Thanks

Jorge Silva

dzbom

Sep 26, 2007, 8:29:11 PM9/26/07

Hi Jorge

I did that too that is how I found the problem with 4 ISP DNS IP
address sitting in the TCP/IP properties, I already got rid of them
from TCP/IP properties. However I am not expert on dcdiag and netdiag,
perhaps I run them again and post here for experts to have a look.
Thanks for that

dzbom

Sep 28, 2007, 2:27:23 AM9/28/07

Hi all

I read and read thru 2 dcdiag and netdiag logs I could not find any
errors, howver I am hoping that I fixed this issue. What I did was that
I rang the ISP to find out the DNS server IP for name resolution, they
gave me 2 IPs (primary and second) and they are totally different from
the ones in our DNS server and DHCP server, so I think because the DNS
server could not resolve those wrong IP address ones in our system. it
gave that error.
Let see how it goes this time. I will update so that it would be good
for everyone.

Jorge Silva

dzbom

Oct 7, 2007, 7:01:33 PM10/7/07

Hi all

Update: It seems OK now (touch wood), now it only happens when
restarting server, and as someone already said, that can be ignored.

Thanks all

qlx_ None

Sep 22, 2010, 7:57:26 AM9/22/10
Hello DZBom,
Hello everybody,

Because I worked for some hours on this issue and finally got to fix those two errors, I would like to thank you all and tell how I solved it.

Configuration:
> Windows Server 2003
- Active Directory
- DHCP Server (role)
- DNS Server (role)

The problem is related to the TCP/IP configuration of the NIC (Network Interface Card) of the server.
When configuring those TCP/IP properties, pay special attention to DNS servers of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

In my case, I set the TCP/IP properties with the Primary DNS server as my server's IP, and the Secondary DNS server to be my router that "relays" DNS requests to the DNS servers of my ISP.

My DNS server works now very good. It contains no Warnings nor Errors in the Event Viewer (logs).

All comments are welcome (the registration of this site is really easy and quick).

Regards,

Alex.
IT Professional.
Western-Europe.