NTDSUTIL Authorative Restore Error: Error 8000ffff parsing input

Avil

Oct 22, 2007, 1:26:00 AM10/22/07
I have a Windows 2000 SP4 domain on a desktop. I am trying to restore the
system state and then run the NTDS command, I get the following error message.

Opening DIT database..
Failed to recover database from external backup. Error 0x2(The system cannot
find the file specified.).
Authoritative Restore failed.
Error 8000ffff parsing input - illegal syntax?

Whats the solution for this? I am using same model hardware/Volume size/SP4
etc.
Thanks

Jorge Silva

Oct 22, 2007, 3:51:15 AM10/22/07
Hi

>I have a Windows 2000 SP4 domain on a desktop.
Can you explain this?

What exactly are youtrying to do, and what steps did you already taked.

--

===================================
I hope that the information above helps you.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
===================================

"Avil" <Av...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Avil

Oct 22, 2007, 4:36:00 AM10/22/07
I mean the Active Directory is running on a compaq desktop hardware not the
server.
I installed ads by running dcpromo, took the system state backup using
ntbackup. Formatted the desktop and installed windows 2000/sp4 OS. Rebooted
into ADS restore mode and restored the backup. Then run NTDSUTIL command to
make it authoritative restore.

Austin Osuide

Oct 22, 2007, 5:24:10 AM10/22/07
Hi Avil,
Seems to me like the desktop was powered off by just hitting the "off
switch" and you have an inconsistent DB..
I hope this isn't a production AD and if it is not, you can try the
following maneuver:

1. Perform the restore
2. Do not boot the bot.
3. Open regedit and delete the following key:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Restore In Progress
4. Run NTDSUtil and perform the restore again.
5. Reboot the system

That should fix your problem (I hope :-) )

Regards,

Austin

"Avil" <Av...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jorge Silva

Oct 22, 2007, 6:12:09 AM10/22/07
Ok, you promoted a DC using the normal process (dcpromo) and then you're
trying to restore the AD using a old Backup system state for that DC, is
this correct?

- Assuming yes, you can't do that, as far as I know that isn't a way to
restore your AD.

- Your DC (although is the same) will assume that system state backup as
from a different DC because you promoted that DC again using the "clean"
process(Dcpromo), and you can't recover a system state from a different DC
to another one.

- Assuming that you've the same DC, what you need to do is to install the OS
normally (DON'T run dcpromo) and then use that system state backup to
recover that DC.

- If this is the case where you've a different hardware box, please refer
the following link:

How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of Active Directory on a
computer with a different hardware configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263532/en-us

Note: If you've additional DCs in that domain you may NOT need to do this,
you can take a system state backup from the existing DC to perform the
authoritative restore and add that new BOX normally as additional DC using
Dcpromo.
--

===================================
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
===================================

Avil

Oct 22, 2007, 8:57:02 PM10/22/07
Austin,

Do I need to run the NTDSUTIL after the final restore? I tried running
NTDSUTIL but the same error again. Also during the second restore, restroe
process skips many files

Avil

Oct 22, 2007, 9:02:08 PM10/22/07
Jorge,

Here is my situation.
1. ADS running on a PC
2. Take the backup using NTbackup
3. Run dcpromo to demote the ads and restart
4. Now reboot the PC in directory restore mode by pressing F8 during boot
5. Restore the backup using NTbackup
6. Run NTDSUTIL to make it authoritative restore.

The scenario is similar to a single domain with single DC. When the DC has
complete hardware failure, I need to build the domain on a spare machine with
the similar hardware specifications.
Thanks

Avil

Oct 23, 2007, 12:40:03 AM10/23/07
I tried the following method, but its may not be correct as its not lisred on
MS site.
After the active directory restore, I restarted the server in Directory
Service Restore Mode again and then run NTDSUTIL to make it authoritative
restore. It worked fine.
But this solution is not listed on any website. Experts please comment.

Jorge Silva

Oct 23, 2007, 4:27:40 AM10/23/07
You only boot the DC in directory restore mode after that server IS a DC.

Try like this:

1. ADS running on a PC
2. Take the backup using NTbackup
3. Run dcpromo to demote the ads and restart

4. Reboot the PC in NORMAL mode

5. Restore the backup using NTbackup

6. Now you're ready to perform authoritative restores in directory restore

mode by pressing F8 during boot

--

===================================
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
===================================

"Avil" <Av...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Avil

Oct 23, 2007, 10:39:00 PM10/23/07
Thank You very mcuh, it worked fine except group policy settings. I restored
the sysvolume folder, everything worked fine.
Thanks

Jorge Silva

Oct 24, 2007, 2:10:51 PM10/24/07
great.