ebd.log corrupted

Minimbah Administrator

Feb 6, 2009, 5:59:05 PM2/6/09
Hi all,
I manage the single SBS 2003 server at a small charity on a pro bono basis.
We have had a serious problem with Active Directory. When the system starts
up the following error message appears:
LSASS.EXE - System Error, security accounts manager initialization failed
because of the following error: Directory Services cannot start. Error
status 0xc00002e1

I have followed the troubleshooting steps in the Knowledge Base article
258062 and the good news appears to be that the NTDSUTIL reports that
directory database is consistent. The bad news is that it seems that the
edb.log file is corrupt.

I tried to perform an offline defragmentation using NTDSUTIL and it failed
with a Jet error -501. The error messages lin the event viewer look similar
to the following:
Event Type: Error

Event Source: NTDS ISAM

Event Category: Logging/Recovery

Event ID: 465

User: N/A

Computer:

NTDS (532) NTDSA: Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile

E:\WINDOWS\NTDS\edb.log. The failing checksum record is located at position

END. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector
xxxx. This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.

For more information, see Help and Support Center

There is not another domain controller in the domain and there is not a
recent system state backup. (The donated server we were using for backups
across the network fell over a few months ago. These are the challenges of
trying to keep a network running on a near-zero budget).

So my questions are simple -
1) Should I proceed with a lossy recovery of Active Directory as suggested
in KB 258062?
2) Given the error messages above, is a lossy recovery even likely to work?
3) If the lossy recovery option does not work, do I have any other option
apart from a total rebuild ?

Thanks

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Feb 7, 2009, 6:49:06 AM2/7/09
Minimbah Administrator wrote:
> 1) Should I proceed with a lossy recovery of Active Directory as suggested
> in KB 258062?

I'd try so.

> 2) Given the error messages above, is a lossy recovery even likely to work?

You could try to fix the log file with eseutil as far as I know. Chances
are you get it working.

> 3) If the lossy recovery option does not work, do I have any other option
> apart from a total rebuild ?

As long as the DC doesn't boot correctly, you don't have any.

This is why MSFT recommends having two DCs per domain. Even if the
second DC is a virtual machine on some other server - corruptions and
failures like these can be recovered easier. I don' understand why you
just didn't backup the directory somewhere else. The server has ntbackup
loaded - you could simply have backed up the systemstate to disk and
burn it on CD. Ten minutes of work, a blank DVD (worth $2) and way less
pain.

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Feb 7, 2009, 3:34:53 PM2/7/09
Hello Minimbah,

The article is in the moment the best/only solution, i can see.

If you do not have a backup from system state and can repair the machine
to start i think you have to rebuild. I do not see another option.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

piyush1414

Apr 3, 2009, 1:21:15 PM4/3/09

Repair your edb file using 'edb repair' (http://www.edbrepair.org/)
tool. download the software from here http://www.edbrepair.org/

--
piyush1414
piyush1414's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/77193.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

http://www.repairpst.info

Apr 3, 2009, 1:31:01 PM4/3/09
You can repair your corrupted EDB file. Using Edb Repair Tool

Download the software from here http://www.edbrepair.org/

http://www.edbrepair.org/

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Apr 3, 2009, 4:27:30 PM4/3/09
Hello piyush1414,

If you followed the posting it states about AD database instead of Exchange.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Repair your edb file using 'edb repair' (http://www.edbrepair.org/)
> tool. download the software from here http://www.edbrepair.org/
>

> http://forums.techarena.in

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Apr 3, 2009, 4:27:38 PM4/3/09
Hello http:www.repairpst.info,

If you followed the posting it states about AD database instead of Exchange.

Best regards

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Apr 4, 2009, 4:19:23 AM4/4/09
Meinolf,

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] wrote:
> If you followed the posting it states about AD database instead of
> Exchange.

Exchange and AD use the same database behind: ESE ;-) In fact, MS
developed ESE for Exchange before the directory services folks took a
build wrapped their code around it.

So if it's good for ESE, you can use it for both Exchange and AD (in
general). Although I would not use a third party tool to mess with a
critical database like that. There's not much info on ESE and MS has a
lot of good tools on their own.

F.

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Apr 4, 2009, 8:03:26 AM4/4/09
Hello Florian Frommherz [MVP],

Thanks for the clarification, i thought that are different databases with
the same format name.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

JNPT

Aug 20, 2009, 2:16:53 AM8/20/09

LSASS.EXE - System Error, security accounts manager initialization
failed because of the following error: Directory Services cannot start.
Error status 0xc00002e1 . This indicates edb.log file is corrupt

You need to repair edb file to recover corrupted edb log files. It is
good to choose the option of 'edb repair '
(http://www.edb-repair.com/)other than any one else. Stellar Phoenix
Exchange Server Recovery Software is the powerful and efficient software
for edb repair. This application is the primary need to all the business
as of its promising, fast, versatile and exact recovery options. It
extracts all the mailboxes, repair and converts it in to PST format.
Hence you can further use it with MS Outlook.

--
JNPT
JNPT's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/126684.htm

getback...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2013, 3:06:38 AM7/24/13
Hello friends,

Just download good edb file recovery software to come-out with this critical situation successfully.
http://www.convert-edb-to-pst.info/

tarun7...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2013, 4:15:49 AM7/29/13

I want to share my knowledge that to perform a simplified and quick repair of corrupt EDB's, I have tried a utility tool which has the ability to do such tasks effectively. Moreover the tool also does an efficient conversion of the emails from the EDB to PST, RTF, HTML, TXT, Office 365 or Live Exchange Server environment. For more details refer to http://www.exchangemailboxrecovery.co.uk/

richh...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 7:05:56 AM8/3/18
Well you are in luck as the EdbMails exchange server recovery tool doesn't require any log files.My own experience after trying to recover some of the deleted mailboxes from an exchange database with various tools from the internet is that EdbMails is the best suited for the job. I have been able to successfully convert my entire exchange EDB mailboxes into Outlook PST format that too quicker than expected. I found the EdbMails EDB to PST Converter online by searching in google. After trying out the free version, i confidently went ahead and purchased the full version license that is available at a relatively reasonable price.Its faster and more easy to work with than native utilities like Eseutil.
I would like to recommend this EdbMails EDB to PST Conversion Software on the basis of this experience to anybody in search for exchange recovery. You can also convert Exchange EDB to PST including of entire EDB emails with attachment, Metadata (To, cc, from, bcc, body content), sent items, inbox and other items that are a part of the database.

For more details and download visit : https://www.edbmails.com/