Wildcards in Get-Package and Find-Package

get...@gmail.com

May 5, 2015, 3:29:56 AM5/5/15

I'm writing lots of PowerShell training and I've found something strange with the wildcards usage in the PackageManagement module (old OneGet) found in WMF 5, April 2015 release.

Get-Package -Name * has a strange meaning... you don't get "All" the packages.
Get-Package (no name) returns more packages, probably all !!
Get-Package -Name "" But an empty string also means "all" !!!!!

Try (get-package -Name *).Count vs (get-package -Name "").count

Similar behavior with Find-Package. Using wildcards for partial names is also wrong, especially with less than 5 chars :

Find-Package *foxi* fails,
Find-Package *foxit* works (finds FoxItReader)

The issue comes probably from NuGet base code. I expected some behavior related to regular expressions but that's not the case, either. And there's no documentation, yet.

Does anyone get the logic behind that ?

Thanks,
jc

Marcel Müller

May 5, 2015, 2:59:41 PM5/5/15
Am 05.05.2015 um 09:29 schrieb get...@gmail.com:

> Does anyone get the logic behind that ?

"This software is a prerelease version. Features and behavior are likely
to change before the final release.

This preview release lets you explore new features and functionality in
Windows Management Framework 5.0 Preview, and provide feedback before
features are finalized.

Be sure to download and read the WMF 5.0 Preview Release Notes for
important information about changes in behavior from Windows PowerShell
5.0, and a list of known issues with this release.

You can log bugs and suggestions by using the Microsoft Connect website."

get...@gmail.com

May 6, 2015, 1:40:26 PM5/6/15

Hey, I'm looking for a possible logic (filtering algorithm or standard inside NuGet), not for an easy disclaimer I already know...

And it is the 7th edition of WMF 5 I'm testing, it should have more documentation... as the Release Notes quote, this part should be "Stable" :

OneGet Module name changed to PackageManagement Stable
Discover and install software with PackageManagement (previously known as OneGet) Stable

jc