enable QAM support via registry fix

Charlie

Mar 31, 2009, 1:17:57 AM3/31/09

Tuner Model: AUTV002
Manufacturer: ForwardVideo
OS: Win 7 7068 32bit
Cable: Onelink
Zip: US 00985

My USB Hybrid tuner can tune clearQAM with Totalmedia, but not on
Media Center 7,

From what I read, the tuner hardware is the same as the Hauppauge
HVR-950q,

Any ideas, registry edit maybe?

Curious

Mar 31, 2009, 9:01:28 AM3/31/09
All versions of Media Center will only allow one tuner of a hybrid tuner to
be configured since both tuners can not be used concurrently like they can
with a true combo tuner card.

"Charlie" <cesi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Charlie

Mar 31, 2009, 11:50:00 AM3/31/09
On Mar 31, 9:01 am, "Curious" <mailme...@nomail.com> wrote:
> All versions of Media Center will only allow one tuner of a hybrid tuner to
> be configured since both tuners can not be used concurrently like they can
> with a true combo tuner card.
>
> "Charlie" <cesie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Tuner Model: AUTV002
> > Manufacturer: ForwardVideo
> > OS: Win 7 7068 32bit
> > Cable: Onelink
> > Zip: US 00985
>
> > My USB Hybrid tuner can tune clearQAM with Totalmedia, but not on
> > Media Center 7,
>
> > From what I read,  the tuner hardware is the same as the Hauppauge
> > HVR-950q,
>
> > Any ideas, registry edit  maybe?- Hide quoted text -

MC7 lets me configure the tuner as Analog Cable and Digital OTA,

Curious

Mar 31, 2009, 12:20:22 PM3/31/09
I see nothing in the specs of your tuner to imply that it and its drivers
can support either OTA digital or QAM digital depending on if an antenna or
a cable is connected to its input connector.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/210499159/AUTV002_USB_Hybrid_ATSC_NTSC_TV.html

"Charlie" <cesi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

jolt

Mar 31, 2009, 2:04:59 PM3/31/09
Here's the registry hack to enable QAM tuning for Hauppauge tuners. It does
works for Hauppauge tuners and might help you get start in the right
direction for your tuner. If your correct and your tuner is actually a
Hauppauge then editing the registry to enable QAM support should work for
Win 7.

REGEDIT4
;
; NOTE: this file should ONLY be used to enable Clear QAM support on Fiji
; (ie, "Windows Vista Media Center Feature Pack 2008")
;
; Using this file WILL break applications that only support the legacy "ATSC
Network Provider"
; Apps must be recompiled to use the newer "MS Network Provider" if this
file is used
;
; These keys control exposing support of Fiji compatible QAM for various
ATSC products
; (of course, the HW products must be physically capable of supportting
QAM!!!)
;
; You MUST restart you system after this file is installed for the changes
to take effect
;
; HVR-1250, HVR-1290, HVR-1500q, HVR-1800, HVR-1850
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HCW85BDA\Parameters]
"AllowQAM_PowerToy"=dword:00000001

; HVR-1600 (only some models support QAM; should list them here)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HCW18BDA\Parameters]
"AllowQAM_PowerToy"=dword:00000001

; HVR-USB2, HVR-1950
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HCW73BDA\Parameters]
"AllowQAM_PowerToy"=dword:00000001

; HVR-950q
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HCW72DTV\Parameters]
"AllowQAM_PowerToy"=dword:00000001

; HVR-2250 (not yet supporrted)

Curious

Mar 31, 2009, 2:34:39 PM3/31/09
Win 7 MC supports clear QAM for any tuner card whose drivers support clear
QAM.
The hack you have linked to is to support clear QAM on TV pack 2008 not
Win7.

"jolt" <ergo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Charlie

Mar 31, 2009, 3:00:55 PM3/31/09

So the next step would be to find the equivalent reg key.
I need to find the correct registry thread to enter this info. Since
the tuner is not branded as Hauppauge, the reg entry would be
different.

So far I found, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
\AuviUDTV

jolt

Mar 31, 2009, 3:14:42 PM3/31/09
The HVR-1600 I installed with Win 7 would not register as a QAM tuner until
the registry fix was applied. While Win 7 supports clear QAM it uses the
same driver as Vista and that driver does not register the ATSC tuner as
capable of QAM tuning. Been through multiple installs of both 1600 and 1800
cards on both Win 7 and TV Pack and have all was had to use a hack to get
them to show QAM tuning.

"Curious" <mail...@nomail.com> wrote in message

Charlie

Apr 3, 2009, 10:59:20 PM4/3/09
On Mar 31, 3:14 pm, "jolt" <ergoac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The HVR-1600 I installed with Win 7 would not register as a QAM tuner until
> the registry fix was applied. While Win 7 supports clear QAM it uses the
> same driver as Vista and that driver does not register the ATSC tuner as
> capable of QAM tuning. Been through multiple installs of both 1600 and 1800
> cards on both Win 7 and TV Pack and have all was had to use a hack to get
> them to show QAM tuning.
>
> "Curious" <mailme...@nomail.com> wrote in message

> > Win 7 MC supports clear QAM  for any tuner card whose drivers support
> > clear QAM.
> > The hack you have linked to is to support clear QAM on TV pack 2008 not
> > Win7.
>
> > "jolt" <ergoac...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> "Charlie" <cesie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Problem almost solved: I forced installed the hvr-950q latest
drivers, did the registry fix, and MC finally recognized the tuner as
digital cable. No channels appeared during the scan though.

Charlie

Apr 12, 2009, 6:02:01 PM4/12/09
> digital cable.  No channels appeared during the scan though.- Hide quoted text -

What other QAM registry patch can you all recommend to try?