Configure XBOX 360 Media Center Extender failed

MarkMcp

Apr 26, 2008, 1:25:00 PM4/26/08
During configuration of the XBOX media center extender I get the following
error duing the 'Configuring Extender Settings' step.

Windows Media Center Extender setup failed with the following error code:
-209.

This happens after about 2 minutes of inactivity during the step.

The Event log entry that immediately preceeds this is:

Windows Media Center Extender setup successfully configured the Windows
Media Center PC for use with an Extender.

Configuration: Vista Ultimate, XBOX 360, wired network. Windows Firewall only.

I have tried turing the firewall off with the same results.

Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks.

Jon

Nov 16, 2008, 5:25:00 PM11/16/08
Wow, really? 6 months and still no help?

I am having the same problem, I have been through all the support columns I
can find and I've done all of the troubleshooting resolutions I could and I
still get a Configuration Error.

I've tried with both firewall set up, and firewall disabled so I know its
not that. I've gone through and finally gotten my media sharing working, and
I am able to stream to the videos folder on my 360 so I know its not that
either. I have deleted the certificate in mmc and the old MCE dashboard file
on my 360, still no luck. I am able to play on xbox live, and as I stated
earlier watch videos that I put into my shared videos folder. However I
cannot get my Media Center to work with my 360. I would really like to be
able to access all of my music and videos through media center instead of
having to relocate them to a shared folder on my network.

Barb Bowman

Nov 17, 2008, 4:11:10 AM11/17/08
what is the error message? what does it show in event viewer?
describe your network - router, model, firmware
you mention firewalls. if a third party firewall, did you try
uninstalling it?
have you tried connecting the 360 to the pc directly by ethernet?

need details to try to assist you.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Jon

Nov 17, 2008, 12:44:04 PM11/17/08
The error message isn't very clear, it seems like a generic message. I can't
remember word for word, but it basically says;

"Configuration Error
An error occured while configuring your media extender, please restart the
extender and your computer and try again."

I restarted, but that didn't solve anything. I do not know how to access
the event viewer or any error messages within it, I will find out how to do
that and check later on. I am using a linksys wireless router, it doesn't
support the 801...a that it recommends, so the 801...g is all I can use, I
was told that it would still work, just not reliably though. The firmware is
all up to date, I do not know the exact model number, I am currently at work
and cannot check it right now. I have tried connecting with the multi-cast
filter both enabled and disabled, with the same error. I have the windows
firewall turned off, and my third party Symantec firewall asks me before
denying access to any programs. Just in case, I also tried to set it up with
the firewall disabled. I am not willing to uninstall my firewall, if that is
the problem, then I would like to know so that I do not continue trying to
get this to work. I have used media center before with my 360 as an
extender, however last time it was through XP. I have since gone in and
deleted the original MCE files off my 360 HD and the old XP licenses from my
Vista registry. When I originally connected the two devices with XP, it was
through a physical connection. However my computer and 360 are now too far
apart for cabling so that is why I am trying to set it up wirelessly. I have
allowed Media Sharing from my computer to my 360, and as I said before I am
able to stream media to my 360 through the use of a shared network drive on
my PC, but again while this is not a big deal, it is still an annoyance to
relocate files and not be able to use Media Center to browse files. My 360
shares the same connection information as my PC does, and my 360 is able to
connect to Xbox Live without any problems whatsoever, I can play games online
with little or no lag or slowdown.

I can't think of any other details right now, let me know if you need more
information. My main question is why my 360 can access and stream files from
my PC, but my PC is unable to correctly configure and connect to my 360.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I also appreciate your quick response,
the previous posters unreplied post did not leave me hopeful, so I am glad to
be proven wrong.

Barb Bowman

Nov 17, 2008, 2:48:00 PM11/17/08
start,control panel, administrative tools, event viewer. check the
logs.

firewall help
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/mediacenter/firewall.mspx
general help

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/e217efbf-8a5d-4681-af74-c01e1b648b641033.mspx

Personally speaking, I don't let my friends use Norton.

MCE requires more than windows media sharing in terms of router
functionality, so it is important to insure you have the latest
firmware. Please check this.

multicast should be on

are you on Home Premium or Ultimate?

Please go into the 360 dashboard and remove the MCE association (is
one setup or not at this point?) On the computer, do the same, if an
extender is shown, delete it. reboot.

now try again.

donad21

Nov 22, 2008, 11:44:01 AM11/22/08
I have a similar problem. My MCX always worked with the 360 until about a
month ago. I have made no changes on the local network in that time. I
cleared all the 360's out of my media center and removed the association on
the xbox 360. I definetly have connectivity between the two 360 and the
computer also. Turned off windows firewall completely just in case it was
that. There has to be something on the Vista Ultimate side that has changed.
Maybe an update or something? I did notice that I was missing the Mcx user
folders on my vista box. Would that cause a problem getting the MCX to
configure and xbox 360 extender?

Barb Bowman

Nov 22, 2008, 3:01:21 PM11/22/08
MCX* users are created when you associate an extender with the MCE
host machine.

When you try to setup the 360 as an extender, what happens and
exactly what error messages do you see? What does event view on the
computer show?

donad21

Nov 23, 2008, 12:35:00 AM11/23/08
Barb,
I am getting error 209 in event viewer. Windows Media Center
Extender setup failed with the following error code: -209.

I saw this error mentioned around the web a few times, but no solution. You
have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Barb Bowman