Corrupt Calendar Data Won't Allow WLM to Load

Megabyte

Jan 2, 2012, 2:13:27 PM1/2/12
I'm trying to run WLM (latest version) but it won't open and instead
gives me a pop up windows with the message: "Windows Live Mail could
not be started. Closing Windows Live Mail. Your Calendar contains
corrupt data that is forcing Windows Live Mail to close. (0x8E5E0247)

- So far I have tried a repair - no luck.

- Uninstalled WLM deleted the data in App Data, then reinstalled WLM -
no luck.

- Logged in to Windows Live Calendar on the web and all seems fine.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the corrupt Calendar data and get
WLM working again would be appreciated.

Leala

Jan 2, 2012, 2:23:07 PM1/2/12
Good.
Remove the crap and install Thunderbird.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

--
Leala.

...winston

Jan 4, 2012, 1:49:45 AM1/4/12
You have two options:
- Repair WLM
- Delete the Calendar folder

The Calendar folder is found in Windows 7 (or Vista) in this location
C:\Users\<Windows logon profile>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Calendars

Close WLM
Navigate to the above location using Windows Explorer
a. If using a Live ID based Calendar (i.e. you are signed on to Windows Live with a Live ID in WLM) then delete the Calendar folder
for that specific Live ID
b. If not using a Live ID based Calendar, then delete the folder called 'Default'

Note: If choosing (a), your calendar will be rebuilt on the next Live ID signon. If choosing (b), the calendar must be rebuilt
from scratch

In the future, even if you don't use a Live ID email account (e.g. third party pop3), it might be a good idea to use a Live ID to
sign on (any 3rd party email address can be registered as a Live ID) to ensure your calendar data is not lost (it will be backed up
automatically at calendar.live.com)

Good Luck.
--
...winston
msft mvp mail

...winston

Jan 4, 2012, 2:07:30 AM1/4/12
Correction:
b. If not using a Live ID based Calendar, then delete the folder called 'DBStore'
- DBStore will only be visible if Windows Explorer is configured to show both 'Hidden files, folders' and 'Protected operating
system files'

--
...winston
msft mvp mail

KCB

Jan 3, 2012, 7:40:26 PM1/3/12

"Megabyte" <Megabyt...@sent.com> wrote in message
> [...]
Does your Windows Login username contain any Romanian characters?
Seriously, see here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2448208

Is this a new hard drive? A forum thread which may help:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/windows-live-messenger-and-windows-calendar-are/cd50f4a7-b57a-476d-a445-0939ea89e147

KCB

Jan 3, 2012, 7:17:55 PM1/3/12

"Leala" <le...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
If you don't use the product, and don't provide any help, then why bother
with this group at all?

Megabyte

Jan 6, 2012, 8:35:07 PM1/6/12
On 03/01/2012 5:40 PM, KCB wrote:

> "Megabyte" <Megabyt...@sent.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to run WLM (latest version) but it won't open and instead
>> gives me a pop up windows with the message: "Windows Live Mail could
>> not be started. Closing Windows Live Mail. Your Calendar contains
>> corrupt data that is forcing Windows Live Mail to close. (0x8E5E0247)
>>
>> - So far I have tried a repair - no luck.
>>
>> - Uninstalled WLM deleted the data in App Data, then reinstalled WLM -
>> no luck.
>>
>> - Logged in to Windows Live Calendar on the web and all seems fine.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to get rid of the corrupt Calendar data and get
>> WLM working again would be appreciated.
>>

> Does your Windows Login username contain any Romanian characters?
> Seriously, see here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2448208

No Romanian characters.
I did clone and install a new drive. I followed this link and followed
the instructions given but no luck.

Thanks for your help.

Megabyte

Jan 6, 2012, 8:42:10 PM1/6/12
On 03/01/2012 11:49 PM, ...winston wrote:
> You have two options:
> - Repair WLM
> - Delete the Calendar folder

Thanks for the suggestions but neither option worked. I've even gone so
far as uninstalling all of Windows Live Essentials then deleted
directories that were left behind, shut down, then reinstalled and still
get the same message. I can use Windows Live Mail on another PC so the
corruption seems unique to this machine. I'm beginning to wonder if
there is a corrupted registry entry or something.

> The Calendar folder is found in Windows 7 (or Vista) in this location
> C:\Users\<Windows logon profile>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live
> Mail\Calendars
>
> Close WLM
> Navigate to the above location using Windows Explorer
> a. If using a Live ID based Calendar (i.e. you are signed on to Windows
> Live with a Live ID in WLM) then delete the Calendar folder for that
> specific Live ID
> b. If not using a Live ID based Calendar, then delete the folder called
> 'Default'

This was tried but didn't work. The only Calendar is a Live ID based one.

> Note: If choosing (a), your calendar will be rebuilt on the next Live ID
> signon. If choosing (b), the calendar must be rebuilt from scratch
>
> In the future, even if you don't use a Live ID email account (e.g. third
> party pop3), it might be a good idea to use a Live ID to sign on (any
> 3rd party email address can be registered as a Live ID) to ensure your
> calendar data is not lost (it will be backed up automatically at
> calendar.live.com)
>
> Good Luck.

Thanks for your suggestions. I`m beginning to wonder if short of
reinstalling Windows and applications if I`ll ever get it working again.

Megabyte

Jan 6, 2012, 8:43:04 PM1/6/12
On 04/01/2012 12:07 AM, ...winston wrote:
> Correction:
> b. If not using a Live ID based Calendar, then delete the folder called
> 'DBStore'
> - DBStore will only be visible if Windows Explorer is configured to show
> both 'Hidden files, folders' and 'Protected operating system files'

I`ve done this as well. As soon as I try to open WLM it recreates the
folder and file but gives me the same error message.

toledo...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2017, 5:05:28 PM1/12/17
Do what winston suggested: navigate to that location and simply delete the calendar. Worked instantly for me. I had changed the storage location for emails to an external hard drive, and started getting the calendar error. Deleting the calendar worked instantly.

...winston

Jan 12, 2017, 8:09:20 PM1/12/17
toledobanners wrote in message

> Do what winston suggested: navigate to that location and simply delete the
> calendar.
> Worked instantly for me. I had changed the storage location for emails to
> an external
> hard drive, and started getting the calendar error. Deleting the calendar
> worked instantly.

Fyi....if the Live ID(now called a Microsoft Account) has been migrated to
the new backend Office 365 platform server(all accounts have been/will be
migrated - no choice) then:
Option (a) no longer applies the same as in the past. Prior to account
migration the calendar database would be rebuilt with the web based Calendar
app(for that respective Live ID) using DeltaSync(the protocol for the old
platform), after migration that sync will no longer occur since the new
platform uses Exchange and Exchange-Active-Sync(EAS) but not DeltaSync. WLM
does not support Exchange or EAS.
- thus in Option (a) the calendar will be rebuilt as a blank calendar and
only local.
- i.e. there is no longer any benefit to use a Live ID to sign on to
Microsoft services(Live Services) in WLM after account migration since sync
for calendar and contacts and photo-email(upload to OneDrive[fka SkyDrive])
no longer functions or is applicable.

--
...winston
msft mvp