Can't d/l Newsgroup Messages From msnews Server

41 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Monica

ungelesen,
30.09.2011, 02:12:0530.09.11
an
New to WLM and adding/configuring newsgroups. I correctly configured
teranews and astraweb but can't get newsgroups to download on the
msnews.microsoft.com server. It doesn't require a secure login or password
and I've double checked the spelling of the server. This is the error
code:

400 Cannot connect to NNTP server 207.46.248.16 (207.46.248.16:119), connect
timeout

Configuration:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 400
Code: 800ccca0

...winston

ungelesen,
30.09.2011, 02:29:0930.09.11
an
Fyi...unless you meant something else.
The msnews.microsoft.com server ceased to exist in Oct of 2010.

--
...winston
msft mvp mail

"Monica" wrote in message news:Z4dhq.110$eF7...@newsfe20.iad...

R. C. White

ungelesen,
30.09.2011, 09:28:1330.09.11
an
Hi, Monica.

Microsoft spent much of last year (2010) shutting down all of their public
newsgroups and creating Forums to replace them and take over their job of
support. The final act of that process was, as Winston said, actually
shutting down the news server itself. So there is no more
msnews.microsoft.com. MANY of us disagreed with Microsoft and fought very
hard to keep newsgroups, but to no avail. :>(

But Microsoft could not easily shut down all the "mirror" sites around the
world that carried the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, and there still are
many sources for most of those NGs. My ISP (Grande Communications, here in
San Marcos, TX) still carries the feed from Giganews (I think), with over
4,000 microsoft.public NGs, in English and many other languages. (I used to
subscribe to dozens of these, but now just four.) In addition to paid NSPs
(News Service Providers), there are many FREE news servers which carry all
or some of these groups. To find them, just Bingle (Bing or Google <g>) for
"free news servers". A couple of the best-known free servers are Eternal
September and AIOE; I'm sure others here can tell you how to reach these -
and others.

I haven't re-installed WLMail recently. Does it really STILL automatically
set up a News Account on the MS public news server??

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Monica" wrote in message news:Z4dhq.110$eF7...@newsfe20.iad...

N. Miller

ungelesen,
30.09.2011, 12:32:1930.09.11
an
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:28:13 -0500, R. C. White wrote:

> But Microsoft could not easily shut down all the "mirror" sites around the
> world that carried the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, and there still are
> many sources for most of those NGs.

That is because Usenet isn't owned by any single entity. And Microsoft had
no control over Usenet, so couldn't control the posting. As Microsoft is all
about "Corporate Control", they simply shut down their own news servers.
There attempt at killing their newsgroups depended, however, on the other
news servers honoring their shut down requests; and most no longer honor
anything that they can't vet the source of directly.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

N. Miller

ungelesen,
30.09.2011, 12:36:4930.09.11
an
Microsoft turned off their news servers.

--
Norman
~Here lies Lester Moore.

Monica

ungelesen,
01.10.2011, 14:43:3501.10.11
an
Guess that explains it :)
I have teranews and astraweb. Both carry some MS newsgroups. I was looking
for a microsoft.public Windows 7 newsgroup. Didn't find one but I did find
alt.windows7.general. in both teranews and astraweb.

"R. C. White" wrote in message

mac

ungelesen,
01.10.2011, 15:20:0701.10.11
an

"Monica" <re...@iluvlabs.com> wrote in message
> Guess that explains it :)
> I have teranews and astraweb. Both carry some MS newsgroups. I was
> looking for a microsoft.public Windows 7 newsgroup. Didn't find one but I
> did find alt.windows7.general. in both teranews and astraweb.

Even prior to the demise of the MSNews servers not a single newsgroup was
ever created for W7 questions.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

R. C. White

ungelesen,
02.10.2011, 23:49:0602.10.11
an
Hi, Monica.

As mac said, Microsoft never created any newsgroups for Windows 7 (except
for microsoft.public.it.windows7, in Italian, which I never could read - but
my NSP still lists it as available).

The most popular Win7 NG that I know about is alt.windows7.general, which
you already found. It is moderately busy - somewhat busier than this WLM
NG. Today it had over 100 new messages, many about the Win8 preview.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
r...@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
Windows Live Mail 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513) in Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1

"Monica" wrote in message news:sbJhq.126$106...@newsfe06.iad...

0 neue Nachrichten