Lost WLM Contacts During Upgrade

GK

Jan 14, 2009, 12:38:00 AM1/14/09
I just updated my WL Mail to the latest version 14.0.8050.1202 in order to
get the Calendar functionality. The update was downloaded through the
Windows Live website using their installer. After the update, which ran
without any problems, all of my WL Mail contacts are missing. The only
contacts available are when I sign in to Windows Live and these are only my
MSN Live contacts. I have a significant amount of information in my old WL
Mail contacts and really need to recover this data. Is there some way to
import it, or can you point the program to the original WL Mail Contacts
folder?
--
GK Oz

D. Spencer Hines

Jan 14, 2009, 12:58:32 AM1/14/09
Yep...

Same thing happened to me.

Still no joy.

Have you tried to import your Address Book [*.WAB] or a *.CSV file?
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"GK" <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

GK

Jan 14, 2009, 1:07:01 AM1/14/09
Where do I find the old WL Mail Address Book?
--
GK Oz

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 14, 2009, 8:11:00 PM1/14/09
Answering his own question in NEW thread instead of a Reply To this
thread...

> Hopefully this will help some of you struggling with lost contacts after
> updating to the latest version of Windows Live Mail.
>
> My contacts were all locally created and stored on my PC - not utilizing
> the
> MSN online contact list. After my update, all of these contacts were gone
> and the only contacts visible were the contacts created in MSN Messenger.
>
> Here is how I fixed this problem:
>
> 1. Open an explorer window and navigate to the C:\Users\YOUR USER
> NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Contacts\YOUR EMAIL\real
> folder. You will see all the contacts that previously existed in WL Mail
> as
> NAME.CONTACT files where NAME is the contact name.
>
> 2. Select and copy all the .CONTACT files that you want to import to the
> folder: C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Contacts.
>
> 3. Open WL Mail and go to the Contacts window (contacts button in lower
> left
> corner of the screen).
>
> 4. From the FILE menu of the Contacts window, select Import --> Address
> Book for Current Windows User.
>
> 5. The system should import all the contacts in the folder and you will
> now
> have access to them in WL Mail - at least I did.
>
> Hope this helps. This is something that the update should have done and I
> hope this is very quickly fixed so others don't have to struggle with this
> less than elegant work-around.

===================================

in ELP@discussions.microsoft.com AB in ELP

Jan 22, 2009, 5:38:03 PM1/22/09
I have same problem but in XP. I can find my old "*.contact" files in a
folder named "Default" but since the directory structure is different in XP,
I don't know where to copy them so that the Contacts application can find
them. Help! What I really want to accomplish is to rescue my contacts so that
I can export them and my emails back into Outlook and be done with Live Mail.

Ildhund

Jan 22, 2009, 6:49:15 PM1/22/09
This is the scenario discussed in the 'Contacts: folder size' thread
a few days ago:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop/browse_thread/thread/6432396a2bfa0a83?q=
The solution proposed by GK works because Vista incorporates a
feature called Windows Contacts, whereas XP only has the Windows
Address Book associated with Outlook Express. When importing
contacts into WLMail, the option to import the 'address book for
current Windows user' reflects this difference. If the OS is Vista,
then this refers to Windows Contacts, which are stored in the same
form as they were in WLMail v.12. So GK could do it. XP users are
not so lucky, because the only application they have access to which
can read those files is WLMail v.12 or earlier. There seem to be two
possible ways out of the dilemma:
(a) Copy the Default folder to %userprofile%/Contacts, then
uninstall WLMail v.14 using the Scorched Earth procedure at
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry
Download WLMail v.12 from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA346005-45F6-4D14-A7DC-51E13D11A950
and install it. Copy the Default folder back into the store folder's
Contacts folder. Then, without signing in, export the contacts to
CSV ready for importing elsewhere. Uninstall WLMail again.
(b) (Winston's suggestion) Write some code to have Excel open each
.Contact file and extract the XML data into a spreadsheet. Massage
those data into a form acceptable to the app you're hoping to import
them into and save CSV.
(c) A third possibility has just occurred to me, assuming that
Vista's Windows Contacts has an export mechanism - find a friend
with a Vista machine and copy the Default contacts to the
appropriate folder on that machine, then export them to CSV. If that
mechanism doesn't exist, then tough.
[(d) ...and the fourth - type out all 1,000 contacts with names and
addresses and phone numbers and yomis and grandmothers' maiden names
again.]

A complete disaster not foreseen by those responsible for writing
the migration bits of the v.14 installation. I want my money back.
--
Noel

"AB in ELP" <AB in E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

AB in ELP

Jan 27, 2009, 9:50:23 AM1/27/09
Thanks a million for the help. I used the "scorched earth" method to remove
all traces of v1.4 and upon installing v1.2 all my contacts reappeared!

"Ildhund" wrote:

> This is the scenario discussed in the 'Contacts: folder size' thread
> a few days ago:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop/browse_thread/thread/6432396a2bfa0a83?q=
> The solution proposed by GK works because Vista incorporates a
> feature called Windows Contacts, whereas XP only has the Windows
> Address Book associated with Outlook Express. When importing
> contacts into WLMail, the option to import the 'address book for
> current Windows user' reflects this difference. If the OS is Vista,
> then this refers to Windows Contacts, which are stored in the same
> form as they were in WLMail v.12. So GK could do it. XP users are
> not so lucky, because the only application they have access to which
> can read those files is WLMail v.12 or earlier. There seem to be two
> possible ways out of the dilemma:
> (a) Copy the Default folder to %userprofile%/Contacts, then
> uninstall WLMail v.14 using the Scorched Earth procedure at
> http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry
> Download WLMail v.12 from
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA346005-45F6-4D14-A7DC-51E13D11A950
> and install it. Copy the Default folder back into the store folder's
> Contacts folder. Then, without signing in, export the contacts to
> CSV ready for importing elsewhere. Uninstall WLMail again.
> (b) (Winston's suggestion) Write some code to have Excel open each

> ..Contact file and extract the XML data into a spreadsheet. Massage

sixt7gt350

Feb 2, 2009, 11:51:01 PM2/2/09
I have XP.
My wife lost all of her contacts in the upgrade from the previous version of
Live Mail.
I found the folder of previous Live Mail contacts.
As I opened each in explorer, I was given the opportunity to save.
They saved to the updated version Live Mail.
Groups, OTOH, didn't transfer directly over.

"Ildhund" wrote:

> This is the scenario discussed in the 'Contacts: folder size' thread
> a few days ago:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop/browse_thread/thread/6432396a2bfa0a83?q=
> The solution proposed by GK works because Vista incorporates a
> feature called Windows Contacts, whereas XP only has the Windows
> Address Book associated with Outlook Express. When importing
> contacts into WLMail, the option to import the 'address book for
> current Windows user' reflects this difference. If the OS is Vista,
> then this refers to Windows Contacts, which are stored in the same
> form as they were in WLMail v.12. So GK could do it. XP users are
> not so lucky, because the only application they have access to which
> can read those files is WLMail v.12 or earlier. There seem to be two
> possible ways out of the dilemma:
> (a) Copy the Default folder to %userprofile%/Contacts, then
> uninstall WLMail v.14 using the Scorched Earth procedure at
> http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry
> Download WLMail v.12 from
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA346005-45F6-4D14-A7DC-51E13D11A950
> and install it. Copy the Default folder back into the store folder's
> Contacts folder. Then, without signing in, export the contacts to
> CSV ready for importing elsewhere. Uninstall WLMail again.
> (b) (Winston's suggestion) Write some code to have Excel open each

> ..Contact file and extract the XML data into a spreadsheet. Massage

D. Spencer Hines

Feb 3, 2009, 12:08:30 AM2/3/09
Yes...

A number of us have discovered that bug in WLM.

DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor

"sixt7gt350" <sixt7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

...winston

Feb 3, 2009, 4:48:44 AM2/3/09
Do you mean groups of contacts/categories(the latter is now the correct term) present in a Live ID in WLM12 that were also visible
in WLMsgr and/or the web interface(contacts.live.com) prior to installing Windows Live Mail 14 were not present after installing
WLM in any place(WLM 14, the web interface or WLMsgr14) ?

Was WLMsgr 12 present and installed prior to installing WLM14 ?
Was WLMsg14 installed to replace WLMsgr 12 during the same WLM14 installation ?

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

jyc1958

Jul 3, 2009, 4:09:56 AM7/3/09

Hi, am using XP and also lost all my Contacts after upgrading WLM. Any
possible solution to recover my lost Contacts easily? Thank you.

--
jyc1958

...winston

Jul 3, 2009, 4:41:44 AM7/3/09

How did you upgrade ?
- web online install, offline full version install, Microsoft Update, other

And the prior program used before upgrading was ?
- OE, Windows Live Mail, Outlook

Were the contacts backed up as a *.csv file ?

Are the contacts also for a Hotmail type account(hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com) Live ID?
- If so, are the contacts visible at http://contacts.live.com

Is the same Live ID (email address/password) used to sign-in to Windows Live when using WLM ?

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

Ildhund

Jul 3, 2009, 5:15:38 AM7/3/09

"jyc1958" <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi, am using XP and also lost all my Contacts after upgrading WLM.
> Any possible solution to recover my lost Contacts easily? Thank
> you.

Here's what I wrote about this a few months ago:
<quote>
If you're still on XP, you have run into a fault in the upgrade
process. Your contacts are probably still there on your system, in a
folder called %userprofile%/Contacts/Default. But they are in a
format (either .Contact or .WindowsLiveContact) that can't be used,
except to view them in WLMail. If you do this (double-clicking may
work, otherwise right-click and select Windows Live Mail), you have
a button at the bottom of the window to Add contact. If there are
not too many, this is an easy way to get them into the latest
version of WLMail. If you have lots of them, the process is drearily
long. I don't know of an easier way than
1. Uninstall Windows Live Essentials using Add or Remove Programs
2. Reinstall WLMail v. 12 from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ba346005-45f6-4d14-a7dc-51e13d11a950&displaylang=en
3. Copy the Default folder from %userprofile%/Contacts to
%userprofile%/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Windows Live
Mail/Contacts/
4. Start WLMail and make sure you're not signed in with a Live ID
5. Open the Contacts window and check that your contacts are all
there
6. File > Export to CSV
7. Reinstall Windows Live Essentials as you did before
8. In WLMail | Contacts, File > Import > from CSV

This is not a problem for Vista users, because the
%userprofile%/Contacts folder is an integral part of the OS. This is
not the case in XP, but this fact got forgotten by the people
writing the upgrade code.

Someone else may be along with a better solution... in the meantime,
good luck!
</quote>

I can't remember having seen a better solution since then...
--
Noel

jyc1958

Jul 3, 2009, 11:03:34 AM7/3/09

Thanks to those who replied to my message. I was using WLM (never
sign-in to Hotmail or MSN) in Win XP. I was not able to back-up
anything. Upgrade was done when I received a pop-up message that a new
and ugraded version available.
As of this email I still can't get back all my contacts.
Regards,

--
jyc1958

Peter.R

Jul 5, 2009, 10:11:28 AM7/5/09

I gather that you upgraded from WLM version 12x to the latest version 14x, and your 'Default' Contacts (contacts accrued when not signed in to Windows Live in WLMail) failed to import to the new version.

First to understand (to a degree) why this happened.

Version 14x of WLMail uses a different storage mechanism and location for WLMail's Contacts. The new method stores them within a database (outside of WLMail's Message Store), so they are not accessible outside of WLMail. However, the old method stored them as individual files.

Sadly, the transfer of the old Contact's Store to the new one has been known to fail (rarely) or else not display in the current version of WLMail (14.0.8064.0206). We are uncertain of why this occurs, but my first suspect is interference by an Antivirus program during the upgrade.

Now, your old Default Contacts should still be in place in WLMail's Message Store* in a sub-folder called 'Default' in a folder called 'Contacts'. There you will find your individual contact files with a .contact file extension (back up this Contact Store now).

In XP you won't be able to open these files, or import them into WLMail 14x, since they are opened by Windows Contacts in Vista. However, you can read some of the information in a .contact file by opening it with a text editor such as NotePad.

If you follow Noel's advice and uninstall the current version of WLEssentials and reinstall WLMail 12x, you should find your old contacts back in WLMail. You can then export them for later importing if necessary after upgrading to WLMail 14x (or 15x if you wait another month or two, or three).

Otherwise, if you used Outlook Express before converting to WLMail, your OE Contacts will still be in Windows Address Book, and you can import them into your current version of WLMail.

--
Cheers,
Peter.R

DrInternet

Jul 5, 2009, 10:47:38 AM7/5/09

Since you're referring to your *Windows Live Messenger* contacts, it
would be appropriate if you'll get in touch with their support team for
proper assistance needed. Here are the steps to do this:

-1.Go to 'Choose your version of Windows Live Messenger or MSN
Messenger'
(http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=a&querytype=topic&query=Default_Help_PROC_MessengerVersion.htm&market=en-us)
2. Click on the version of messenger that you're using.
3. On the left panel click any FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) link.
4. On the lower right corner of the page click �Get more help�
5. Click �Get support�
6. Complete the e-form and then click Submit.

Or you can visit 'Windows Live Help' (http://windowslivehelp.com/)
Windows Live Technicians Will Help You With Your Problem
-

--
DrInternet

Peter.R

Jul 5, 2009, 12:16:19 PM7/5/09

*WLMail's Message Store is a directory named 'Windows Live Mail'. The path to the Message Store, in its default location involves a hidden folder, so ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked under Folder Options in Windows Explorer. To find the location of your message store, go to Tools->Options...->Advanced [tab]->Maintenance->Store Folder.

The default Message Store location in XP is:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
(C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail)

--

"Peter.R" <Pet...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message news:uBqu#pX$JHA....@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> I gather that you upgraded from WLM version 12x to the latest version 14x, and your 'Default' Contacts (contacts accrued when not signed in to Windows Live in WLMail) failed to import to the new version.
>
> First to understand (to a degree) why this happened.
>
> Version 14x of WLMail uses a different storage mechanism and location for WLMail's Contacts. The new method stores them within a database (outside of WLMail's Message Store), so they are not accessible outside of WLMail. However, the old method stored them as individual files.
>
> Sadly, the transfer of the old Contact's Store to the new one has been known to fail (rarely) or else not display in the current version of WLMail (14.0.8064.0206). We are uncertain of why this occurs, but my first suspect is interference by an Antivirus program during the upgrade.
>
> Now, your old Default Contacts should still be in place in WLMail's Message Store* in a sub-folder called 'Default' in a folder called 'Contacts'. There you will find your individual contact files with a .contact file extension (back up this Contact Store now).
>
> In XP you won't be able to open these files, or import them into WLMail 14x, since they are opened by Windows Contacts in Vista. However, you can read some of the information in a .contact file by opening it with a text editor such as NotePad.
>
> If you follow Noel's advice and uninstall the current version of WLEssentials and reinstall WLMail 12x, you should find your old contacts back in WLMail. You can then export them for later importing if necessary after upgrading to WLMail 14x (or 15x if you wait another month or two, or three).
>
> Otherwise, if you used Outlook Express before converting to WLMail, your OE Contacts will still be in Windows Address Book, and you can import them into your current version of WLMail.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Peter.R

...winston

Jul 5, 2009, 9:42:01 PM7/5/09
Not necessarily so...

In WLM/WLMsgr ...the contacts reside in two places...
a. Web(contacts.live.com) for a Live ID
b. Local(Windows Live hidden folder) same folder used for WLM and WLMsgr with different subfolders for a Live ID or the default
account.

Since WLMsgr requires a Live ID then WLM would sync during sign-in with the web(a), then locally update (b).
WLMsgr does not require a Hotmail account only an email address registered as a third party Live ID.

Thus windowslivehelp.com(Hotmail) may not be the best source if ID related...it might be better to start with:

Windows Live ID Support
https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlid&ct=eformts
https://account.live.com/helpcentral.aspx?mkt=en-us&lc=1033
1. Scroll to and click on 'How can I reset my password' or click any item in the Faq list
2. Look in the lower right and click on the option 'Get More Help'
3. Wait till the page loads, then click on 'Get Support'
- the eform should now load

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail