Reproduce 0x8DE20007

Ildhund

Jul 5, 2010, 6:47:03 AM7/5/10
This error crops up almost daily on the Windows Live Solution Center. AFAIKS,
it occurs when invoking WLMail from a website, using either a mailto: link
(Craigslist, for example) or the IE Send link by e-mail function.
* probably only when using IE8 (no evidence for this)
* probably only on Win7 (no evidence for this)
* probably only when using WLMail v. 14 build 8089 or 8117 (no evidence for
this other than date of first occurrence)
* only when the default account in WLMail is a DeltaSync account
* probably only when the mail sending format is HTML and transfer encoding
QP (no evidence for this)

mailto: links from Craigslist do not comply with the RFC (the link passes a
message body which starts - if not modified by the sender - with %0A%0A. %0A
without %0D is illegal - thanks to Mike Santovec for pointing that out).

Craigslist mailto: links pass an http:// URL in the body, as does Send link
by e-mail. It is not common for mailto: links to include a message body, and
even less so for that body to include a URL, so this might explain why
Craigslist figures so prominently in reports of this error.

So: Is there any significant difference in the construction of a message
body by WLMail from a link including a URL if that link is passed by IE7 on
the one hand and IE8 on the other? If so, could the message body originating
from IE8 raise some security (phishing) flag at either end of a DeltaSync
channel? I don't know whether the error is generated locally within WLMail or
at the Hotmail end.

If anyone can isolate and reproduce the error, it might take a Fiddler trace
or something to analyse what's happening. WLSC is intensely frustrating when
it comes to debugging things like this. The standard support response is
'please upload a FiddlerCap trace'; most of the OPs never respond, and the
ones who do are then dealt with 'behind the scenes' in a secret escalation
process invisible to ordinary mortals. Come to think of it, I don't recall a
single example of anyone actually getting as far as uploading a trace.

I haven't seen any reports of this happening with the beta, so that might be
worth testing, too.
--
Noel

Geoff Clark (MSFT)

Jul 5, 2010, 10:49:36 PM7/5/10
Sorry that I'm late to this thread, but I don't understand when you hit this
error. 0x8DE20007 the HEX error code that you see in the spooler (sync
progress) dialog when mail starts? Or when you send mail?

That error code is used in a few places in mail. I'm guessing the most
likely is DELTASYNC_E_FULL_SYNC_NOT_COMPLETE. That error means that the
first full sync of the account hasn't finished so we won't send any
messages.

Geoff Clark
Message sent using Windows Live Mail

"Ildhund" wrote in message

Ildhund

Jul 6, 2010, 3:19:21 PM7/6/10
Thanks for responding, Geoff; you're certainly not late.

I don't have the problem - it's a growing number of posters at
windowslivehelp.com that I find it frustrating not to be able to advise. Here
are two typical posts:

craigslist

after finding a listing that i want to respond to i click on the email link
to send an email. windows live email comes up and i type my message and hit
send. windows live acts as if it is sending but ends with an error:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Live (sc020643) account. To send
and receive messages in your Hotmail account, go to http://hotmail.live.com
on the Web, or try again later. To get help from Windows Live Customer
Support, go to http://support.live.com and click Windows Live Mail in the
list of services.

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8DE20007
<<

and, with the same error message,

2, On our B&B website, bettsbedandbreakfast.co.uk there is a 'contact us'
button. I get the error message when using this [...] Today I got the above
message when I tried to send a link from newburysound.co.uk
<<

Now that you've revealed the error description, it looks as if the error
might arise on some systems in the following circumstances:

* The default account in WLMail is a DeltaSync one
* WLMail is not running
* A New Message window opens when invoked by a mailto: call
* When the user presses Send (or Save, Close), the window closes and takes
WLMail with it.
* This interrupts the sync and throws the error.

I can't reproduce it using WLMail build 8117 and IE7 on XPSP3. WLMail
continues to run in the background until the sync is completed (admittedly
with immoderate CPU usage) and then closes normally. That's why I asked if
anyone using Vista/Win7 could reproduce the problem.

Is there a published list of program error codes for Windows Live (Mail)? I
can only find the POP/SMTP/IMAP ones.
--
Noel

"Geoff Clark (MSFT)" wrote: