Reminders - Calendar - Windows Live Mail

Bryan

Jan 17, 2009, 11:56:10 AM1/17/09
Just upgraded to 14.0.8050.1202 and now have Windows Live Mail Calendar
within the Windows Live Mail client .. (Whew! what a mouthful of a marketing
name)..

Now how can I set a reminder for an event or appointment? Was this feature
intentionally left out?

I'm not sure what value a calendar has without the ability to produce
reminders..

Bryan

©LarryEº

Jan 17, 2009, 12:15:03 PM1/17/09
Have you tried right clicking on a date and then on New Event?
--
©LarryEº

"Bryan" <Br...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bryan

Jan 17, 2009, 12:21:01 PM1/17/09
I can create a new event or appointment. No problem. What I'm looking for is
how to set a reminder for that event or appointment. You know, 15 mins, 1
day, 3 days, 1 week, etc.. So that I get a reminder of that event at the
specified reminder period priod to the event.

Bryan

B@community.nospam Walter Blanchard

Jan 17, 2009, 12:27:10 PM1/17/09
Double click the event; a window will open with those options.

--

Walter B

"©LarryEº" <m...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Ildhund

Jan 17, 2009, 12:39:00 PM1/17/09
I think the OP will have to go to calendar.live.com or
alerts.live.com to configure how he gets reminded - via email,
messenger or SMS. Calendar is in flux at the moment and not all of
the loose ends have been tied (see
http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49770.entry )
, so it may be a few days before everything settles down.
--
Noel

"Walter Blanchard" <Walter B...@community.nospam> wrote in message

> Double click the event; a window will open with those options.

> "©LarryEº" <m...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>> Have you tried right clicking on a date and then on New Event?

Bryan

Jan 17, 2009, 1:18:08 PM1/17/09
I double-click the event and I don't see reminder settings. I see
"recurrance" but no reminder options..

"OP" ? - Operator?

I need a reminder that pops up on my screen and continues to do so until I
dismiss it. Like Outlook and Windows Calendar. I see no value in SMS,
Email, or Messenger based reminders as they are one-time in nature and I am
certain to miss appointments if I attempt to rely upon those kinds of
reminders.. They are entirely inadequate in my opinion. I'd prefer to not
even run Messenger at all as I despise that thing and the linking of it with
Mail and everything else.

©LarryEº

Jan 17, 2009, 3:20:49 PM1/17/09
Then use Sticky Notes. Windows 7 has them. The Windows Live Calendar
doesn't have a nag alert.
--
©LarryEº

"Bryan" <Br...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ildhund

Jan 17, 2009, 3:37:06 PM1/17/09
"Bryan" <Br...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I double-click the event and I don't see reminder settings. I see
> "recurrance" but no reminder options..

From Help (I assume you looked there before posting, so you must
have forgotten...)
<quote>
If you sign in to Windows Live Mail with your Windows Live ID,
Windows Live Mail can send you reminders (Reminders can be sent to
your e-mail account, to your Windows Live Messenger account, or to
your cell phone. You can change how reminders are delivered on the
Windows Live Calendar website.) before each event starts to help
ensure that you never miss an event.
*Send yourself a reminder about the event *
You can receive reminders only if you're signed in to Mail with your
Windows Live ID. In the list next to the Set a reminder icon, select
how long before the start of the event you want to receive a
reminder.
/Note/
Some features may not be available in all countries and regions.
</quote>

> "OP" ? - Operator?
OP - Original Poster (or post). My response was in response to and
additional to Walter Blanchard's, so I couldn't use 'you' in case
anyone reading the thread thought I was referring to Walter. To
remove any ambiguity, I referred to the OP. One could have used
'one', I suppose.

> I need a reminder that pops up on my screen and continues to do so
> until I dismiss it. Like Outlook and Windows Calendar. I see no
> value in SMS, Email, or Messenger based reminders as they are
> one-time in nature and I am certain to miss appointments if I
> attempt to rely upon those kinds of reminders.. They are entirely
> inadequate in my opinion. I'd prefer to not even run Messenger at
> all as I despise that thing and the linking of it with Mail and
> everything else.

If you have Outlook, why are you fiddling with a simple, free
application with only a fraction of Outlook's functionality? WLMail
(and many other Live services) use the powerful communications
functions of the despised Messenger to achieve useful results, like
delivering alerts. If you don't want to use it, use Outlook instead.
You can even access the equally despised Hotmail in Outlook via the
Outlook Connector or POP3. For me, one of the main reasons not to
use Outlook is its lack of an inbuilt newsreader. Since you're
clearly not using that either, I can't see why you're here
complaining about the inadequacy of a program you haven't even
learnt how to use yet.

I've no experience of Windows Calendar.

If you wish to complain about the inadequacy of this application -
which many people are happy to use in spite of its shortcomings,
because the perfect mail/news/feeds/PIM/calendar app has yet to be
invented - then you will find an option called Feedback on the Help
menu. I'm sure the developers will listen carefully to any
suggestion you may care to make there. This newsgroup is populated
by enthusiastic amateurs and distressed users, many of whom find
solutions to their problems with WLMail. We're not really interested
in your opinion, because there's damn all we can do about WLMail's
inadequacies.
--
Noel

> "Ildhund" wrote:
>
>> I think the OP will have to go to calendar.live.com or
>> alerts.live.com to configure how he gets reminded - via email,
>> messenger or SMS. Calendar is in flux at the moment and not all
>> of the loose ends have been tied (see
>> http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49770.entry )
>> , so it may be a few days before everything settles down.

R. C. White

Jan 17, 2009, 9:30:36 PM1/17/09
Hi, Bryan.

When I Open the window for the Appointment and look at the boxes to the
right of the Start time setting, I see 4 boxes, with icons, not labels, but
if I hover my mouse over the icons I see some text. The text for the Bell
says, "Set a reminder". Do you see something different?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

©LarryEº

Jan 18, 2009, 9:03:48 AM1/18/09

He wants something that constantly nags him with a pop-up about the
appointment every 15 minutes until he turns it off. The alerts only happen
once and that's it.
--
©LarryEº

"t-4-2" <dhu...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Just curious only. Isn't that a reminder ? The one I marked with a red
> arrow
> ?
> Please see screenshot.
> t-4-2

tomfrank

May 10, 2009, 12:18:01 AM5/10/09
I also need this functionality.. an email is no good if I'm not running email
at the time, and ditto for IM... the latter pops up, but disappears after
sevaral seconds. I'f I'm getting a cup of coffee, I miss it. And sticky
notes is not a solution... I'd have my screnn covered with nothing but
stickies, and not one of them reminds me of a deadline.

Please bring back the functionality in Windows 7 that Vista Calendar had!