Deleting duplicate mail messages

Ildhund

May 28, 2008, 6:05:30 AM5/28/08
Has anyone devised a simple method of identifying duplicate mails in
a folder with a view to weeding them out?
--
Noel

Robert Aldwinckle

May 28, 2008, 9:02:00 AM5/28/08
"Ildhund" <jn...@removemsn.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone devised a simple method of identifying
> duplicate mails in a folder with a view to weeding them out?

In OE there are differences in the Account column I exploit.
So I can sort on that in two Find windows, tile them
and then scroll to the common entries, and delete only the
one which doesn't have an explicit Account name.

HTH

Robert
---

Ildhund

May 28, 2008, 9:59:25 AM5/28/08
"Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote in message

Thanks, Robert. Yes, that is useful in cases where account data have
been lost (like for imported messages or those stored from an
account that has been removed and added back). But I acquire lots of
duplicates by other means, like copying from one folder to another
having forgotten that I already did it last week, so the duplicates
are identical in every respect other than the file name.
--
Noel

Rafael Kubelik

Jul 30, 2008, 2:17:01 PM7/30/08
Does anyone know how to delete duplicate emails within the same WLM folder? I
have lots of dupes in my Send folder, the result of having to import from
several Outlook Express Send folders, each of which was incomplete or a
little corrupted.

Thanks!
--
Rafael Kubelik, Toronto

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 30, 2008, 2:42:34 PM7/30/08
Sort by Subject, then delete dupes manually.
I don't know of any automated way to do this.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Rafael Kubelik

Jul 30, 2008, 3:42:14 PM7/30/08
Thanks, Ildehund, but your reply does not answer the question. The files are
ALREADY in WLM where there are many dupes.

The question isn't how to eliminate dupes in OE, the question is how to
eliminate dupes in WLM.

Regards,
Rafael
--
Rafael Kubelik, Toronto

...winston

Jul 31, 2008, 12:47:36 AM7/31/08
You asked this..

"Does anyone know how to delete duplicate emails within the same WLM folder?"
The answer to your question was 'spot' on but provided by Gary M not Ildhund.

Ildhund asked the original question...Which inherently was not about deleting or preventing duplciates but the availability of a
'view' to remove them more easily.
<qp>

Has anyone devised a simple method of identifying
duplicate mails in a folder with a view to weeding them out?

</qp>

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"Rafael Kubelik" <Rafael...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rafael Kubelik

Jul 31, 2008, 1:13:01 AM7/31/08
Hi, Gary,

Ah, yes, delete manually. To do that, I had sorted by date and was just
deleting every other message. A no-brainer, easy way to do it, except, who
wants to do it a zillion times.

Shurely there must be some automated way to delete messages within WLM
folders. Amazing that there ain't. There are lotsa solutions for the same
problem in OE, that archaic, unstable, dangerous zombie thing.

Rafael
--
Rafael Kubelik, Toronto

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 31, 2008, 1:28:05 AM7/31/08
Yes, but you can't compare the two in that regard. OE has been on the
market much longer than WLM. Give WLM another year or two, and
I'm sure there will be more add-ons.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Rafael Kubelik

Jul 31, 2008, 1:42:01 AM7/31/08
Hi, Winston,

Well, what view would that be, exactly, that allows one to automatically
delete all the doubles?
--
Rafael Kubelik, Toronto

Rafael Kubelik

Jul 31, 2008, 1:43:01 AM7/31/08
Hi, Gary,

I guess we are pioneers. This is my first day with WLM and it utterly wipes
the floor with OE, I must say.

D. Spencer Hines

Jul 31, 2008, 2:37:10 AM7/31/08
Bingo!

DSH

...winston

Jul 31, 2008, 3:14:11 AM7/31/08
Look again..***there is no view to automatically delete***
- cf. Ildhund post, Robert's reply, and Gary's reply.

Gary has already provide how to delete them manually.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"Rafael Kubelik" <Rafael...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert Aldwinckle

Aug 2, 2008, 2:29:38 PM8/2/08

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote in message
>> "Ildhund" <jn...@removemsn.com> wrote in message

>>> Has anyone devised a simple method of identifying
>>> duplicate mails in a folder with a view to weeding them out?
>>

>> In OE there are differences in the Account column I exploit.

> Thanks, Robert. Yes, that is useful in cases where account data have
> been lost (like for imported messages or those stored from an
> account that has been removed and added back). But I acquire lots of
> duplicates by other means, like copying from one folder to another
> having forgotten that I already did it last week, so the duplicates
> are identical in every respect other than the file name.

I could also have noted that, though probably not "simple"
another possibility would be using PowerShell.
E.g. you would take advantage of the fact that in WLMail
all messages are in their own files so potentially you could
devise a script which would compare their content and optionally
report or delete ones in a "folder's" subdirectory which seemed
to be duplicates. Presumably after that you could re-index
and all would be well again. ; }

Depending on how thorough you wanted the "compare" step
to be you might decide to simplify it to just a comparison of
the Date: header. You could do that without using PowerShell
just using a cmd window. E.g.

findstr "^Date:" *.eml | sort /+29

could help you identify duplicates if not form the basis
of a more automated duplicate deletion procedure.

Tip: if you take that tack (e.g. use the above pipeline in a for /F loop)
you may find cmd.exe /V:ON helpful. See. cmd.exe /? for details.

Good luck

Robert
---

tom

Mar 29, 2011, 3:38:06 PM3/29/11
I gave up in disgust. Found that a move to Monzilla Thunderbird solved all my problems, including duplicate messages. I now have a fast and consistent E-mail system across all my network computers.

With Thunderbird excellent duplicate message removal tools are available. This made syncronizing e-mail across several computers, windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 a snap. Just specify automatic bcc to yourself on all computers, filter the received messages from yourself and automaticaly direct them to your sent folder. The duplicate removal tool will eliminate the duplicates in your send folder. Simple and foolproof.

What finally forced me from MS Windows Mail is their dropping of outlook express and windows vista mail; then to add insult to injury, MS decided that they would only support the older version of windows live mail under XP...a product certainly not designed with netbooks in mind.

>> On Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:02 AM Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

>> "Ildhund" <jn...@removemsn.com> wrote in message
>>

>> In OE there are differences in the Account column I exploit.

>> So I can sort on that in two Find windows, tile them
>> and then scroll to the common entries, and delete only the
>> one which doesn't have an explicit Account name.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert
>> ---

>>> On Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:59 AM Ildhund wrote:

>>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Thanks, Robert. Yes, that is useful in cases where account data have
>>> been lost (like for imported messages or those stored from an
>>> account that has been removed and added back). But I acquire lots of
>>> duplicates by other means, like copying from one folder to another
>>> having forgotten that I already did it last week, so the duplicates
>>> are identical in every respect other than the file name.

>>> --
>>> Noel

Sunny

Mar 29, 2011, 6:51:37 PM3/29/11

"tom" <qui...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

>I gave up in disgust. Found that a move to Monzilla Thunderbird solved
>all my problems, including duplicate messages. I now have a fast and
>consistent E-mail system across all my network computers.
>
> With Thunderbird excellent duplicate message removal tools are
> available. This made syncronizing e-mail across several computers,
> windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 a snap. Just
> specify automatic bcc to yourself on all computers, filter the received
> messages from yourself and automaticaly direct them to your sent folder.
> The duplicate removal tool will eliminate the duplicates in your send
> folder. Simple and foolproof.
>
> What finally forced me from MS Windows Mail is their dropping of outlook
> express and windows vista mail; then to add insult to injury, MS decided
> that they would only support the older version of windows live mail
> under XP...a product certainly not designed with netbooks in mind.
I rolled back to WLM 2009 on two Netbooks with Win 7.

Windows live Mail Ver 2009 :
http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/software/t-free-windows-live-messenger-2009-download-frwyrroo.html
http://tinyurl.com/4lvo3ch

Uninstalled all the Ver 2011 first though :-)

...winston

Mar 30, 2011, 12:09:28 AM3/30/11
Fyi...the link on that page for version 2009 redirects to the page for the
2011 version for Vista and Win7.

Here are the direct links for 2009

■Windows Live Essentials 2009 (for XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows
Server 2008)
Direct download to Microsoft server for the installer executable file
http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2010/12/22/windows-live-downloads/
<qp>
Full Version Installer English Language version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe
Web Version Installer – English Language Version
http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-web.exe

Note: Direct download links above are for the English language installer.
For a different country replace the ‘en’ with the local language code.

Microsoft Windows Live Web Site links(web version installer)
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-xp

Microsoft Download Center(web version installer)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ed0c6b-152f-49eb-88c8-278267802f57
</qp>

If you need the language codes for other countries
http://liveunplugged.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/language-codes-for-windows-live-essentials-downloads.pdf

Optionally, all links for country specific versions are also avaialable
here
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=3e81eed3-470b-4254-acc4-f45f26358f0b

--
...winston