windows not sending email

alaska girl

Mar 12, 2010, 1:27:01 AM3/12/10
Now windows live email is giving me a different error message...

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'test'
Server: 'smtp.gci.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10013

can you still help me?

N. Miller

Mar 12, 2010, 2:17:22 AM3/12/10

Curiosity compels me to ask: "Who told you to select SSL for port 25"?

In general, port 25 is not used with a secure connection (SSL), while port
465 is always used with a secure connection (SSL).

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

alaska girl

Mar 12, 2010, 3:25:01 AM3/12/10
ok, i unchecked that box and i still get the same message..

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'test'
Server: 'smtp.gci.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25

Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10013

"N. Miller" wrote:

> .

alaska girl

Mar 12, 2010, 3:37:02 AM3/12/10
i just tried port 587 and it doesn't work either..

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'test'
Server: 'smtp.gci.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP

Port: 587
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10060

mac

Mar 12, 2010, 6:02:53 AM3/12/10

"alaska girl" <alask...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>i just tried port 587 and it doesn't work either..
> The connection to the server has failed.
>
> Subject 'test'
> Server: 'smtp.gci.net'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
> Protocol: SMTP
> Port: 587
> Secure(SSL): No
> Socket Error: 10060

You said elsewhere "I am using mtaonline.net to connect to the
internet,because its cheaper".

I asked you to:

"Try using mail.mtaonline.net as the SMTP server name, on the accounts
server
tab". Instead of smtp.gci.net.

You never responded?

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

alaska girl

Mar 12, 2010, 3:09:02 PM3/12/10

"mac" wrote:

> "alaska girl" <alask...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i just tried port 587 and it doesn't work either..
> > The connection to the server has failed.
> >
> > Subject 'test'
> > Server: 'smtp.gci.net'
> > Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
> > Protocol: SMTP
> > Port: 587
> > Secure(SSL): No
> > Socket Error: 10060
>
> You said elsewhere "I am using mtaonline.net to connect to the
> internet,because its cheaper".
>
> I asked you to:
>
> "Try using mail.mtaonline.net as the SMTP server name, on the accounts
> server
> tab". Instead of smtp.gci.net.
>
> You never responded?
>

> i just put smtp. mtaonline.net in the outgoing email server place and now I get a emmpty error box...

> .

mac

Mar 12, 2010, 3:52:03 PM3/12/10

>> i just put smtp. mtaonline.net in the outgoing email server place and now
>> I get a emmpty error box...

Please ensure that your Outbox is empty and try again.

alaska girl

Mar 12, 2010, 4:18:01 PM3/12/10

"mac" wrote:

> "alaska girl" <alask...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> i just put smtp. mtaonline.net in the outgoing email server place and now
> >> I get a emmpty error box...
>
> Please ensure that your Outbox is empty and try again.
>

> the outbox is empty and i just tried it again and i still get an empty error box

slk759

Mar 12, 2010, 5:19:43 PM3/12/10
Do you really have that space in there? smtp. mtaonline.net is what
you typed in this message, with a space between smtp. and mtao...
If you do, try taking that out so it reads like this: smtp.mtaonline.net
Also, do you have a check in the little box beside "My server requires
authentication"? That is on the "Servers tab" at the bottom (of that whole
account setup window). Put a check there. Try it again. Copy and paste
anymore errors, but hopefully this will fix it.

"alaska girl" <alask...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

alaska girl

Mar 12, 2010, 6:44:01 PM3/12/10

"slk759" wrote:

> Do you really have that space in there? smtp. mtaonline.net is what
> you typed in this message, with a space between smtp. and mtao...
> If you do, try taking that out so it reads like this: smtp.mtaonline.net
> Also, do you have a check in the little box beside "My server requires
> authentication"? That is on the "Servers tab" at the bottom (of that whole
> account setup window). Put a check there. Try it again. Copy and paste
> anymore errors, but hopefully this will fix it.
>

>I typed it in there just like this...smtp.mtaonline.net,the my server requires authentication is checked, never unchecked...I still get an empty error message box..

> "alaska girl" <alask...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "mac" wrote:
> >

> >> "alaska girl" <alask...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Please ensure that your Outbox is empty and try again.
> >>
> >> the outbox is empty and i just tried it again and i still get an empty
> >> error box
> >> --
> >> Regards Steve.
> >> MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.
> >> http://www.getsafeonline.org/
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/uk/citizenship/safeandsecure/parentadvice/default.mspx
> >>

> .

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Mar 14, 2010, 5:18:01 PM3/14/10
I see no evidence here
http://portal.gci.net/support/kb/gci_settings/#email_settings
that your mail provider supports an SMTP port other than 25.

I have a feeling that you are not giving us all the details, such as
who is providing your connection to the Internet. Most
connection providers will block any attempt to send mail over
port 25 except to their own SMTP server.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Mar 14, 2010, 5:25:36 PM3/14/10
Try it with "My server requires authentication" unchecked.
By default, your mail client ( Windows Live Mail ) will send
incoming server authentication to the outgoing server, which
is not appropriate here since the two servers don't belong to
the same entity. If my suggestion fails, let us know, so we can
advise you how to use custom SMTP authentication.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

MikeA

Apr 18, 2010, 8:51:01 PM4/18/10
I am having the very same problem with receiving mail from the GCI mail POP3
server. My ISP is GCI and I suspect that is the same with alaska girl as well.
To restate, when Windows Live Mail performs a Sync to the GCI mail account I
get the 60 second time out error message to the mail.gci.net (POP3) server.
However, I am using a second email account on the Windows Live Mail so my
outbound traffic is is not through GCI but hotmail. Nevertheless, I believe
we have the same issue. I have verified that the GCI account is set up as
Dave suggested. Further thoughts?
--
MikeA

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

> .

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Apr 18, 2010, 10:55:07 PM4/18/10

When you get that time-out error message, right-click on the error
message, copy, then paste it into a reply here.
We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.