Cleaning up mail files

tkp...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2014, 6:56:48 PM3/2/14
I have just bought myself a Surface Pro, and have a question about cleaning up Windows Mail so that that I don't lose precious space on my tablet. Turns out that the only way i can transfer files to it from work is to e-mail the files to myself and to then then download them to my Surface. I sent them to my gmail account, then opened the attachments in Windows Mail and saved them to my Documents folder. I accidentally happened to notice that there were files associated with Windows mail, and i suspect that there are two instances of each file on my Surface: one in my Documents folder (where I want it), and another in a Windows Mail folder. hidden deep in the bowels of my Surface. Since I'm transferring about a GB of files, I assume that there's another GB going to waste in one or more folders associated with Windows Mail. Question: How do I clean up the files associated with Windows Mail so that I don't waste precious space? Can i just delete the relevant e=mails? Must i dig through the directory structure of my Surface Pro and delete certain folders? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated/

Thanks in advance

Thomas Philips
Message has been deleted

BillW50

Mar 3, 2014, 6:28:36 AM3/3/14

"StephenB" <sbo...@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You posted to a "dead" newsgroup (only carried by nntp servers that
> ignored the
> remove group message when Microsoft shut down the Microsoft hosted
> newsgoups)
> for Windows Live Mail and you are using Mail on Windows 8...

Wow! You're evil Stephen! Sending users who are currently having
computer problems to web based forums which can add viruses and trojans
to their already troubled computer. You're a very bad man Stephen!

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows Live Mail 2009 v14

Message has been deleted

Al Sparber

Mar 3, 2014, 4:37:04 PM3/3/14
On 03/03/2014 01:38, StephenB wrote:

> You posted to a "dead" newsgroup (only carried by nntp servers that ignored the
> remove group message when Microsoft shut down the Microsoft hosted newsgoups)
> for Windows Live Mail and you are using Mail on Windows 8 -- I assume you are
> referring to the Mail app, at least.

Are you posting here to look for young boys? If so then you are in the
right newsgroup.

Any ideas how many young boys do you need for this weekend? We have
some new ones from Ukraine who are all looking for safe homes and it
looks like you can have them for your pleasure. One proviso we always
stipulate is that you don't kill them after you've finished with them.

These boys are very vulnerable and they should be used but not murdered.

Have you had your treatment for erectile dysfunction?

Al Sparber

Mar 3, 2014, 4:39:28 PM3/3/14
On 03/03/2014 11:28, BillW50 wrote:

> Wow! You're evil Stephen!

No he is just here looking for young boys. He is MVP - Most Valuable
Pervert, so this should tell you everything you need to know about him.

He likes young boys. We have supplied him with 10 and 11 year olds and
he was very satisfied with them.

winst...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2014, 11:31:35 PM3/4/14
If using a Surface Pro (Win8) and Win8's mail client you should already
be aware the client supports the following protocols.
- IMAP (e.g Google, Yahoo, 3rd party isp IMAP accounts)
- Exchange Active Sync (e.g. Outlook.com, Live.com, MSN.com,
Hotmail.com), and
- Exchange (e.g. Exchange, Office 365)

Unless the 'work' email account supports one of the above protocols (and
capable of being setup on the Surface Pro using Win8 Windows Mail) then
only a couple of options are available exclusive of emailing the files
but those traditionally requiring installation of additional software
(email clients that support a protocol compatible with the work account)
which would also decrease remaining disk capacity

If you need the email *and* the attachments and the ability to read them
in an email client then why extract/save the attachments to a unique
folder external to the Win8 email client.

If you need only attachments, why retain the original messages in Win8's
Windows Mail.

If intent on cleaning out Win8's mail files manually via File Explorer
navigate to

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps...\LocalState\Indexed\LiveComm\<numerical
folder name>\<numerical folder name>\Mail
- note: <numerical folder name>= a numbered folder name generated by
the Mail app and unique to your system.

Once there you will find a variety of other numerical folders that
contain *.eml files
- those email files use numbers as filenames with eml as the
extension....Not really helpful...but one has the ability to add the
Title or Subject field to File Explorer's view pane enabling the ability
to see the message's Title or Subject field in alphanumeric.

Delete files with caution...since every deletion requires the Mail app
to reindex for what is no longer present whenever the Mail app is used
in the future...which is why cleanup should be done within the Win8 Mail
app. The risk of deleting files via Explorer that are currently in the
Mail app index is corruption of the index and possibly the folder structure.

Optionally, you could entirely ditch Win8's Windows Mail and use a
different client that stores emails as *.eml [like Win8's mail app] or
*.msg [like Outlook] files (with attachments intact) and also providing
the ability to export the messages (for archiving) to an external device
(e.g. a 32 GB usb jump drive).

Bottom line as noted above..If you don't wish duplicates on the
machine...it doesn't make sense to keep or even copy/extract creating
redundancy....

Fyi...the disk capacity of a Surface Pro can be expanded with an
insertable memory card.

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps