Your browser does not support inline frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames.

Craig Cockburn

May 17, 2006, 12:00:10 PM5/17/06
I am supporting an application that uses iframes. A very small number
of people using IE6 with the latest patches are reporting that when
they visit a page with an iframe in it, instead of seeing the iframe
they are seeing the message "Your browser does not support inline
frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames." which
is present in the HTML source.

I am unable to replicate this problem on both IE6 SP2 and IE7 beta 2.

the code is :

<iframe name="I1" width="786" height="500"
src="http://thedomain/<url>" align="middle">
Your browser does not support inline frames or is currently
configured not to display inline frames.</iframe

Where thedomain is the same domain as the page calling the iframe.<url>
has been removed to post here.

Since this is only affecting a very small number of users, it would
appear not to be the application. Having the user dump the content from
http://projectip.com/ did not reveal anything obvious. This reported
the user agent string as Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) and stated they were using IE6
on Windows 2000. There's no browser spoofing or user string
modification going on that I can tell. Have checked the web, usenet,
MSDN for details of this problem but no luck.

The problem is easy to replicate in Opera, I just go to
Tools->Preferences->Advanced->Contenct->Enable Inline Frames (clear the
checkbox).

There appears to be no corresponding setting in IE however. When
searching for this problem, a number of people mention the setting:
"Launching programs and files in an IFRAME", however this appears to be
a red herring as on my PC it is set to "disable" but I can see the
iframe no problem. Indeed I am suspicious as to why this would have any
impact anyway as the iframe content is simply rendering an HTML file
type, there's no executable or other malicious content.

Some people are having the same problem on an entire network with none
of their PCs able to access the IFRAME, so it would seem to suggest a
security setting that has been applied LAN wide or some common security
related software. One person having the problem on all their PCs
reported that they had McAfee installed. However, installing Firefox on
their setup allowed the user to see the iframe without problems. It
looks like it's an IE specific issue, however at this stage I do not
understand which it should only be affecting a tiny number of people
and what they do to fix it.

Even more confusingly some people who did report the problem then
mentioned a few days later that it had gone away, although others have
the problem and it does not go away for them.

Is there a buried registry setting somewhere for IE which is the same
as the Opera setting?

thanks

Craig

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, C.Eng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/

Craig Cockburn

May 17, 2006, 2:10:04 PM5/17/06
Maybe also relevant to point out that the site in question appears in
the general "internet" zone settings.
--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng

Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Home to the first online guide to Scotland, founded 1994.
Scottish blog, FAQ, weddings, website design, stop spam and more!

Craig Cockburn

May 20, 2006, 4:51:55 AM5/20/06
Can anyone help?

thanks

In message <1147881610....@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>, Craig
Cockburn <cr...@siliconglen.com> writes

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng

Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Home to the first online guide to Scotland, founded 1994.

Robert Aldwinckle

May 20, 2006, 7:16:18 AM5/20/06
"Craig Cockburn" <cr...@siliconglen.com> wrote in message

>I am supporting an application that uses iframes. A very small number
> of people using IE6 with the latest patches are reporting that when
> they visit a page with an iframe in it, instead of seeing the iframe
> they are seeing the message "Your browser does not support inline
> frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames."

FWIW both Google Groups and Microsoft Communities used to use
that technology but now if either still does it is not very evident to me.

E.g. use View Source on each of these links (or even better perhaps
an HTTP sniffer and a script debugger.)

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser/browse_frm/thread/243ee6fd496d31a1/25604f5e0eb06f00?lnk=st&q=author%3Acockburn+group%3Amicrosoft.*&rnum=1#25604f5e0eb06f00

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=cockburn&dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser&cat=en_US_9a2f4e3c-98e3-43ff-813f-915f9a7429e1&lang=en&cr=US&pt=11182676-d3c8-405d-bf7b-bf8604ca2c9e&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=5a8bb164-5fc3-4be5-95bb-ba73eeed1ca6&exp=&sloc=en-us

Perhaps that is an obsolete technology which those sites have
moved away from?

BTW this newsgroup is mainly for discussions by end users about IE6
For discussions by web developers I would try the newsgroups that
MSDN highlights for them.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Craig Cockburn

Jun 1, 2006, 6:06:08 PM6/1/06

Craig Cockburn wrote:
> I am supporting an application that uses iframes. A very small number
> of people using IE6 with the latest patches are reporting that when
> they visit a page with an iframe in it, instead of seeing the iframe
> they are seeing the message "Your browser does not support inline
> frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames." which
> is present in the HTML source.

I can now replicate this at will. It seems to be a setting on McAfee
Privacy control and only affects some iframe based sites. However, in
this instance the iframe content is coming from the same site as the
parent and the iframe content has no cookies, so it's unclear what the
problem is.