Red "x" instead of graphics. How to fix? AOL user's question.

Kenrick Fu

May 27, 2001, 10:20:40 PM5/27/01
You can check out this MS KB Article for possible help:
-Web Page Displays an Image As a Red X or Not at All
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q283/8/07.ASP

--
Kenrick Fu
MS MVP (MPS-D)

"Bishwa Shrestha" <sbishwa@"remove"hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone!
>
> MSIE 5.00.3314.2101 sp2, windows 98se, 128mb RAM, 266 mHz dell latitude
> system.
> doesn't happen on every site though. Attached is the pic of yahoo.com
site.
> Even if I right click on the "x" and click "show picture" nothing comes
up.

> Things I have tried:
> 1. Clearing cache
> 2. Repairing browser (works usually for a while, but comes back again)
>
> My ISP is AOL. Now, here is the puzzling part. If I go to the same site
on
> AOL, it comes just fine. I am beginning to wonder if it has to do with
AOL.
> Of course AOL says it doesn't support MSIE if I run externally as a
winsock
> app. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> A false sense of security is worse than being unsure!!!!
>
> Bishwa Shrestha
> Laramie, WY
> USA

Bishwa Shrestha

May 27, 2001, 11:01:28 PM5/27/01
Yeah, but how come some images are coming up and not others though? After
repairing the browser, the problem seemed to go away. But I have a feeling
it will come back again. I still don't understand why the pictures won't
show up even after clicking "show pictures" ... I am baffled.

Thanks for the info though Kenrick.

--
A false sense of security is worse than being unsure!!!!

Bishwa Shrestha
Laramie, WY
USA

"Kenrick Fu" <kenr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Quinton Grey

May 28, 2001, 4:49:26 PM5/28/01
The problem may be due to the TCP/IP hosts file which is located in:

WinNT - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS
Win9x/Me - C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS

*NOTE that the hosts file does NOT contain and extension and is just called HOSTS.

Back-up the file before editing it (which you can use notepad for).

In the first column should be the dotted octet internet address in the following
form: 10.0.0.1 and the right hand column should be the human readable host name
ie computing.com

If the first column has the following address: 127.0.0.1 anywhere then that means
the the domain name in the opposite column is going to fail because it will just
come straight back to your own computer resulting in a DNS Error. Just scroll
down and find the site/domains that you want to access and remove that line.

Hope this is of some use to you.

.

M. A. Bierregaard

May 29, 2001, 3:33:49 PM5/29/01
Do you have any of the MS Power Toys installed on your system? This is
what I found from the MS site:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q223/0/50.ASP

Web Accessories Functionality Turns Off Image Downloading
----

Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 4.0, 4.01, 4.01 Service Pack 1, 4.01
Service Pack 2, 5 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 4.01 Service Pack 2, 5 for Windows 98
Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 4.0, 4.01, 4.01 Service Pack 1, 4.01
Service Pack 2, 5 for Windows 95
----
SYMPTOMS
When you view Web pages, no images may be displayed. Instead, you may see
only text.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if you click the Toggle Images.exe link on the Links
toolbar after you install either of the following programs:

Internet Explorer 4.0 PowerToys (if you are running Internet Explorer 4.x)

Web Accessories for Internet Explorer 5 (if you are running Internet
Explorer 5)

RESOLUTION
To view images in Web pages again:

Start Internet Explorer.

If the Toggle Images.exe link is not visible on the Links toolbar, click the
arrow with two angle brackets on the right-side of the Links toolbar.

Click Toggle Images.exe.

Additional query words:

Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbIEsearch kbExchange400 kbZNotKeyword2 kbIENT400Search
kbIE95Search kbZNotKeyword3 kbIE98Search kbIE500UNIXSun kbIE401Win95SP1
kbIE401WinNT400 kbOutlookExpress401Win95Sp2

We have this installed in our Web Browser. I clicked it by accident since I
didn't know what it was. When I started to surf, I experienced the red X or
image placeholder that you did, in place of the image. Clicking it again
and refreshing the page brought back the image.

Hope this helps.

M. Bierregaard

:
[...]

: --