Computer script doesnt run 'Access is denied'

Peter J. Dickason, MCSE

Sep 22, 2009, 10:16:29 AM9/22/09
Hi all,

I am calling a computer startup script from a file server in the format of a
UNC path. When I reboot the computer that the policy is appying to, I see
in the event log "Could not execute the following script
\\servername\share\script.cmd. Access is denied." The share security is
full control/everyone. The file system has authenticated users and domain
computers with read and SYSTEM with full control. So I don't understand how
acess could posibly be denied. Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Thanks
Pete

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Sep 22, 2009, 2:15:55 PM9/22/09
Howdie!

Peter J. Dickason, MCSE schrieb:

Is that error thrown because access to the script is denied or because
the script access a resource that's access denied? Can you put a "echo 1
>> file.txt" command into the first line to see whether the script is
called?

Other than that, it should work from what you write. Scripts run as
computer startup scripts run in the SYSTEM context and should have
access to resources that grant "authenticated users" access. I assume
you have checked that there are no "Deny" ACEs in the ACL?

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.

Peter J. Dickason, MCSE

Sep 23, 2009, 9:13:57 AM9/23/09
Thanks Florian,.

No there are no deny's. They way I look at deny's is if you need 'em then
you need to go back and try it again because you have design issues :)

I tried again with the echo but the file is not being created so it looks
like it cannot access the share where the script is kept. By the way, these
are 64-bit systems if that makes any difference. Here is the entire event
text. Does it not like the file in .CMD format? I keep logon scripts and
the like on a file server since I have no domain admin rights.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: UserInit
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 9/23/2009
Time: 9:00:26 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TEST01

Could not execute the following script

\\fileserver\login\Computer\script.cmd. Access is denied.
.