Re: Unable to run 'gpresult'

Steven L Umbach

Sep 11, 2005, 11:02:36 PM9/11/05
Check to see that you are logged on as a domain administrator to see if that
helps and look in the application/system logs of the dc to see if any Event
ID's have been recorded at the time that access was denied to see if they
provide a clue. Also try running the RSOP for the user selecting the domain
controller as the target computer to see if that works or not. --- Steve

"Ralish" <Ral...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I tried to run 'gpresult' on a Windows Server 2003 box to check some Group
> Policy data, however, I got an "ERROR: Access Denied." message immediately
> after gpresult tried to start the RSoP Session for the active use (A
> Domain
> Administrator). What would cause this problem? Any suggestions on how to
> fix?
> Thanks in advance...
>
> PS: The box in question is a Windows Server 2003 PDC...

Ralish

Sep 18, 2005, 1:52:01 AM9/18/05
No luck :/

The interesting thing is when I am logged into any client computer (XP SP2)
I can run gpresult fine. I am a domain admin but standard domain users can
also successfully run gpresult as well from their workstations. I only get
access denied when running gpresult from the DC logged in from the
Administrator account. I tried your suggestion but no luck :/

Steven L Umbach

Sep 18, 2005, 9:53:43 PM9/18/05
Hmm. When you are logged onto an XP computer can you do a RSOP using the
domain controller [another computer option] and your user account as the
computer and if so are their any Group Policy restrictions shown that may be
denying access?? Anything listed in the system/application logs on the
domain controller that may be related?? --- Steve

"Ralish" <Ral...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ryan

Sep 22, 2005, 12:23:05 PM9/22/05
I'm having a very similar problem. I can run gpresult from an XP workstation:
gpresult /S DC-Server /U Username
and I get a response. If I log in as that user on the DC and run gpresult, I
get this error:
INFO: The user does not have RSOP data.
If I then run rsop.msc, I get:
The RSoP snap-in was unable to generate the computer or user's data due to
insufficient permissions.

There is nothing in the event log that helps. I have a feeling this is a
policy setting of some kind, but it's not in the default domain controllers
policy because there is another domain controller it works fine on.