Failed to refresh user policy. Error - Access is denied.

TomK

Oct 2, 2008, 12:36:51 PM10/2/08
I get the subject message when I do a gpupdate /force.

We've been scratching our heads for a couple days on this. We're not even
sure if access is denied to something local or some policy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

James Yeomans BSc, MCSE

Oct 2, 2008, 5:28:09 PM10/2/08
Hi, what happens if you type gpresult from the command line it should give
you output to tell you what policies are being applied and filtered out.
--
James Yeomans, BSc, MCSE

TomK

Oct 3, 2008, 12:50:17 PM10/3/08
Well, this one is a hard one for me to grasp. I tried running gpresult and
got another access denied message even though I'm logged on with local admin
creds. So I started looking more closely at everything. Turns out the cmd
prompt I was using was set for "Run As" as the default action (typically I'm
logged on as a user and occasionally need an elevated prompt). When I told
it to use the "current user" instead of supplying an ID and password I was
expecting that it would grab my elevated logon creds and go. Seems like it
didn't and was running without any user credentials associated with it.
When I just did Start -> Run -> CMD both gpresult and gpudate worked as
intended.

I've never seen that before, but I'll think to look for it next time. From
now on I'll just right-click the command prompt icon and do my Run As there.

Thanks for the response. Even though it didn't directly fix my issue it led
me to the answer.

Tom

Aneesh Aravind

Nov 25, 2008, 4:30:07 PM11/25/08
Tom,

Did you ever figure this out? I am facing the same issue. I am connected to
the DC and I launch cmd.exe under a different user's credentials. Then I type:

gpupdate /Target:user /Force

I would expect the user whose credentials I have launched the cmd prompt
gets his gp updated. Instead what I get is:

Failed to refresh User Policy. Error - Access is denied. Exiting...

The computer policy does get updated properly. I am logged in as a local
administrator and the user whose credentials I am using has a locally cached
profile on the machine.

TIA,
Aneesh Aravind.