Toshiba 610CT Laptop PCMCIA Card Not Detected

jaugu...@verizon.net

Feb 12, 2021, 12:50:40 PM2/12/21

I have a Toshiba 610CT laptop (mfg abt 1995) that originally had Windows
95. I installed Windows 98SE (removed HD and put "WIN98" folder from System
CD onto C:\ of HD).

This PCMCIA slot (X2) is a type 2.

I have a PCMCIA PC card with USB port (adapter) and the Windows 98 driver
for this adapter. Windows MUST detect this PC card before I can install the
driver.

When I boot up the laptop, Win98 does NOT detect it. Even trying a "Add
Hardware" Search via Control Panel does NOT "work".

BTW, Another Compaq Windows 95 laptop does detect this PC card!

I searched for a PCMCIA driver for this Toshiba 610CT without success.
Also tried http://members.driverguide.com.

Any ideas?

Thank You in advance, John

jaugu...@verizon.net

Feb 12, 2021, 1:56:32 PM2/12/21
> I have a PCMCIA PC card with USB port (adapter) and the Windows 98 driver
>for this adapter. Windows MUST detect this PC card before I can install the
>driver.
>
> When I boot up the laptop, Win98 does NOT detect it. Even trying a "Add
>Hardware" Search via Control Panel does NOT "work".
>
> BTW, Another Compaq Windows 95 laptop does detect this PC card!
>
> I searched for a PCMCIA driver for this Toshiba 610CT without success.
>Also tried http://members.driverguide.com.

Forgot to Mention:

In that PC Card slot, I have Megahertz 56K card modem that "works".

Thanks in advance, John

JJ

Feb 13, 2021, 1:23:45 AM2/13/21
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 12:50:35 -0500, jaugu...@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Toshiba 610CT laptop (mfg abt 1995) that originally had Windows
> 95. I installed Windows 98SE (removed HD and put "WIN98" folder from System
> CD onto C:\ of HD).
>
> This PCMCIA slot (X2) is a type 2.
>
> I have a PCMCIA PC card with USB port (adapter) and the Windows 98 driver
> for this adapter. Windows MUST detect this PC card before I can install the
> driver.
>
> When I boot up the laptop, Win98 does NOT detect it. Even trying a "Add
> Hardware" Search via Control Panel does NOT "work".
>
> BTW, Another Compaq Windows 95 laptop does detect this PC card!

Check the Device Manager. Make sure the PCMCIA controller device (not the
card) is properly detected by Windows.

When the card plugged in, did the Device Manager list a new device at all?

> I searched for a PCMCIA driver for this Toshiba 610CT without success.
> Also tried http://members.driverguide.com.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> In that PC Card slot, I have Megahertz 56K card modem that "works".

Start by describing the brand (manufacturer) and model code/number of that
card. Cause I'm pretty sure it's not a Toshiba brand.

jaugu...@verizon.net

Feb 13, 2021, 7:33:57 AM2/13/21

>Check the Device Manager. Make sure the PCMCIA controller device (not the
>card) is properly detected by Windows.
>
>When the card plugged in, did the Device Manager list a new device at all?

Hi JJ,

Yes, I did check the Device Manager, before and after, but there was NO
new device in the list.

I thought if there was an updated PCMCIA Controller (current is Microsoft
4-23-1999), maybe that would "work"?

John

jaugu...@verizon.net

Feb 13, 2021, 10:56:38 AM2/13/21
UPDATE:

I downloaded a newer PCMCIA controller driver (microsoft 9-2-2002), but
that made NO difference. A New Hardware search did NOT find anything
New.

Note: The other Win 95 Compaq laptop DID detect the PC card (USB
adapter). It has a Texas Instrument PCMCIA Controller, but I have NOT been
able to find the TI driver to try on this Toshiba.

Thanks in advance, John