User profiles - Fatal Exception 0E at 0177:BFF9DFFF

Olli Rantapuska

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Hello,

I can't seem to get user profiles to work on a few freshly installed Windows
98 SE machines.

After I enable user profiles in Control Panel / Users and create a new user,
I can't login using the newly created (or any other) user name. When I type
the user name and password in the login window and click OK, the system
starts to set up the profile files and then suddenly hangs with a blue
screen

A Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0177:BFF9DFFF.

Where the only way to gain access to the computer is a reset, and then next
time clicking Cancel in the login window. The address and error are always
the same, also on different computers.

I can make this happen on only two machines out of 14. All the machines
should be identical in configuration and hardware; Celeron 433's with Matrox
G400 cards. I think the problem might have something to do with the user
name being a bit longer and having a space, but I still can't reproduce it
on the other machines. On the two problem machines, the system hangs
whatever the username is.

We really need to use user profiles, so any suggestions or pointers to
solutions would be appreciated. Followups will be directed to the general
newsgroup.

--
Olli

Olli Rantapuska

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Olli Rantapuska <Olli.Ra...@iki.fi> wrote in message

> After I enable user profiles in Control Panel / Users and create a new
user,
> I can't login using the newly created (or any other) user name. When I
type
> the user name and password in the login window and click OK, the system
> starts to set up the profile files and then suddenly hangs with a blue
> screen
>
> A Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0177:BFF9DFFF.

I managed to track down the problem myself - it was the video driver.

The machines came with a CD which of course did not have the most recent
version of the Matrox Millennium G400 adapter driver. Upgrading to the
absolute latest version (5.41.008) solved the problem.

Still, to why the problem does not show up on our every G400 machine, I
don't have an answer.

--
Olli

Walter Clayton

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Different assembly and installation dates could account for part of the
reason. Plus, unless all of the hardware for any given set of machines is
assembled from components that came from the same batch runs at the various
factories those "identically" configured machines aren't necessarily
identical. Hardware/firmware revisions happen all the time.

--
Walter Clayton
Microsoft MVP (DTS)