Win98 start-up logo screen wanted!

Skip to the first unread message

Harry Potter

15 May 2017, 08:39:0315/05/2017
Hi! I'm new to this forum and came to ask for an URL to a web site with Win98 start-up logo screens. So, where can I get some?

Computer Nerd Kev

15 May 2017, 18:42:2615/05/2017
Harry Potter <rose.j...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi! I'm new to this forum and came to ask for an URL to a web
> site with Win98 start-up logo screens. So, where can I get some?

Try here:
http://toastytech.com/guis/indexwindows.html

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Harry Potter

15 May 2017, 18:56:3315/05/2017
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 6:42:26 PM UTC-4, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Try here:
> http://toastytech.com/guis/indexwindows.html

I checked. I didn't see it. :(

Computer Nerd Kev

16 May 2017, 19:10:4316/05/2017
Well you have to click on one of the Windows 98 links.

Oh, to cut to the chase:
http://toastytech.com/guis/win98logo.png

Harry Potter

16 May 2017, 19:14:4516/05/2017
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 7:10:43 PM UTC-4, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Well you have to click on one of the Windows 98 links.
>
> Oh, to cut to the chase:
> http://toastytech.com/guis/win98logo.png

You seem to misunderstand: I want to change the picture Windows displays during startup and shut down.

Lee

17 May 2017, 02:51:3017/05/2017
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 5:14:45 PM UTC-6, Harry Potter wrote:
> You seem to misunderstand: I want to change the picture Windows displays during startup and shut down.
The special made logo is compressed using a sekret method and stored in io.sys file. It's further animated in the moving bar across the bottom of the screen. Without knowing the compression technique used (and nobody will tell) or where it's at you CAN'T change it so very easy. There used to be instructions on how to make a similar animation bitmap on the web, but those sites are going to be hard to find in these latter days for 98.

So unless you buy the software that used to be able to do it, which is why those that knew how weren't telling how since they were selling the how, you just can't get there from here.

Shutdown is a separate issue and a different method. This one is simply named logow.sys and is found in the windows folder. Copy it somewhere else and change the extension to .bmp and view it with paint or any other image viewer.
Any replacement will have to be exactly same type, same size bitmap.

Harry Potter

17 May 2017, 08:36:5717/05/2017
Thank you, but I already know how to create the images--except the animated scrol bar on the bottom. I just want a pre-defined logo. :)

Kerr Mudd-John

18 May 2017, 11:51:4718/05/2017
On Wed, 17 May 2017 07:51:29 +0100, Lee <mel...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 5:14:45 PM UTC-6, Harry Potter wrote:
>> You seem to misunderstand: I want to change the picture Windows
>> displays during startup and shut down.
> The special made logo is compressed using a sekret method and stored in
> io.sys file. It's further animated in the moving bar across the bottom
> of the screen. Without knowing the compression technique used (and
> nobody will tell) or where it's at you CAN'T change it so very easy.

No one? - I'm sure I read about it ages ago - the startup program toggles
the (just the blue?) palette to give the impression of a running bar at
the base.

http://xrxlogo.com/win95logo.htm

> There used to be instructions on how to make a similar animation bitmap
> on the web, but those sites are going to be hard to find in these latter
> days for 98.

http://www.xrx.ca/logoutils/

Some are still up:

http://www.ehuna.org/open95.htm

> So unless you buy the software that used to be able to do it, which is
> why those that knew how weren't telling how since they were selling the
> how, you just can't get there from here.
>
> Shutdown is a separate issue and a different method. This one is simply
> named logow.sys and is found in the windows folder. Copy it somewhere
> else and change the extension to .bmp and view it with paint or any
> other image viewer.
> Any replacement will have to be exactly same type, same size bitmap.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

J. P. Gilliver (John)

18 May 2017, 17:30:0218/05/2017
In message <op.y0fyc...@dell3100.dlink.com>, Kerr Mudd-John
<ad...@127.0.0.1> writes:
>On Wed, 17 May 2017 07:51:29 +0100, Lee <mel...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 5:14:45 PM UTC-6, Harry Potter wrote:
>>> You seem to misunderstand: I want to change the picture Windows
>>>displays during startup and shut down.

(There are actually two used at shutdown - one while, and the "it is now
safe ..." one [which you won't see if your PC shuts itself off]. The
shutdown ones don't animate.)

>> The special made logo is compressed using a sekret method and stored
>>in io.sys file. It's further animated in the moving bar across the
>>bottom of the screen. Without knowing the compression technique used
>>(and nobody will tell) or where it's at you CAN'T change it so very easy.

You can - well, for '95; I can't remember whether for '98. (I think it's
the same.) See http://logos.xrx.ca/faq.htm; basically, it uses
C:\LOGO.SYS if it exists, and the one compressed into the system file if
it doesn't. (If you have compressed drives - remember those? - it has to
be in the root of the host drive.)

>No one? - I'm sure I read about it ages ago - the startup program
>toggles the (just the blue?) palette to give the impression of a
>running bar at the base.

I remember some quite imaginative ones - waterfalls, etc.; there's a
nice Christmas tree at http://logos.xrx.ca/, as well as lots of others,
not all animated.

>http://xrxlogo.com/win95logo.htm
>
>> There used to be instructions on how to make a similar animation
>>bitmap on the web, but those sites are going to be hard to find in
>>these latter days for 98.
>
>http://www.xrx.ca/logoutils/
>
>Some are still up:
>
>http://www.ehuna.org/open95.htm
>>
>> So unless you buy the software that used to be able to do it, which
>>is why those that knew how weren't telling how since they were
>>selling the how, you just can't get there from here.
>>
>> Shutdown is a separate issue and a different method. This one is
>>simply named logow.sys and is found in the windows folder. Copy it
>>somewhere else and change the extension to .bmp and view it with
>>paint or any other image viewer.
>> Any replacement will have to be exactly same type, same size bitmap.

Also stretched/squashed: it should start as a 4:3 ratio (e. g. 640×480),
and be resized in your favourite graphics prog. to 320×400 - it will be
(un?)distorted back to original ratio when displayed by Windows 9x.

You know what the big secret about posh people is? Most of them are lovely.
- Richard Osman, RT 2016/7/9-15

Harry Potter

18 May 2017, 19:17:4018/05/2017
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:51:47 AM UTC-4, Kerr Mudd-John wrote:
> http://xrxlogo.com/win95logo.htm

Thank you! :)

> http://www.xrx.ca/logoutils/

That's useful.

Mynews

26 May 2017, 14:33:4026/05/2017
"Harry Potter" wrote in message

> Hi!

LooL
Have Fun With Web Tv 2020
And A Welcome To You ;)

> I'm new to this forum
> and came to ask for an URL to a web site

Harry No URL Needed

> with Win98 start-up logo screens.

In Windows 98 ES It Is Here

C:\WINDOWS
Logos.sys

Rename It To

Logos.bmp
For A Edit-ion

To Start The Day In 98
I See Nothing But My Wife

> So, where can I get some?

Do You Have A
Win-98 Setup ISO CD
It's On It
If You Know Where To Look
Harry URL IS:

hot-text

26 May 2017, 14:53:0726/05/2017
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message

You 99% Right

for '98. C:\WINDOWS\LOGO.SYS it exists

Good Guy

26 May 2017, 16:25:2426/05/2017
On 26/05/2017 19:33, Mynews wrote:
"Harry Potter"  wrote in message

What has this got to do with <aioe.news.helpdesk>?  Why cross-posting this crap here?

This newsgroup is only for seeking assistance or reporting any problems with aioe newsgroups.  Don't treat this as cesspit for everything.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

26 May 2017, 16:37:4126/05/2017
In message <og9tie$1jb4$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, hot-text
I believe that in some systems, it's embedded in one of the system files
- io.com perhaps?

live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash. - a friend quoted by Dustin
Hoffman in Radio Times, 5-11 January 2013

hot-text

26 May 2017, 17:13:2826/05/2017

> In message <og9tie$1jb4$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, hot-text writes:
>> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
>> You 99% Right
>> for '98. C:\WINDOWS\LOGO.SYS it exists
> I believe that in some systems, it's embedded in one of the system files -
> io.com perhaps?

Perhaps In A NT System

But In The DOS It Is
A BMP Name As A SYS

LOGO.SYS Is That Files

I Have Edit It

I Do Run A 98 SE sp-1

J. P. Gilliver (John)

26 May 2017, 17:47:5726/05/2017
In message <oga5pl$in$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, hot-text
<hot-...@lazaras.mshome.net> writes:
>"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
>
>> In message <og9tie$1jb4$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, hot-text writes:
>>> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
>>> You 99% Right
>>> for '98. C:\WINDOWS\LOGO.SYS it exists
>> I believe that in some systems, it's embedded in one of the system
>>files - io.com perhaps?
>
> Perhaps In A NT System
>
> But In The DOS It Is
> A BMP Name As A SYS
>
> LOGO.SYS Is That Files
>
> I Have Edit It
>
> I Do Run A 98 SE sp-1

If it is there, the system will use it.

Try removing it, to see what your system shows during boot.

The early worm gets the bird.

Gordon Freeman

26 May 2017, 21:12:2026/05/2017
The boot image is C:\LOGO.SYS which is simply a BMP file sized 320x400
pixels and set to 256 colours (ie. 8 bit). If you rename the file
C:\LOGO.SYS to LOGO.BMP you will find you can open it to view the one you
have now. You can use an image viewer such as Irfanview to view it and make
a new one.

The image looks squashed when viewed directly, but gets be stretched to 4:3
ratio (effectively 640x480) when displayed during bootup, so the easiest
way to make one is make an image sized 640x480 that looks right, then
resize it to a squashed 320x400, now reduce to 256 colours ("Image" >
"Decrease Colour Depth" in Irfanview) and save as a BMP file. Now rename it
to "LOGO.SYS" and stick it in the root directory of your boot drive in
place of the existing one.

To change the shutdown screen do the same with LOGOW.SYS in your Windows
directory.

Nadegda

26 May 2017, 23:07:2726/05/2017
On Fri, 26 May 2017 21:25:21 +0100, Good Guy wrote:

> On 26/05/2017 19:33, Mynews wrote:
>> "Harry Potter" wrote in message
>>

> What has this got to do with <aioe.news.helpdesk>? Why cross-posting
> this crap here?
>
> This newsgroup is only for seeking assistance or reporting any problems
> with aioe newsgroups. Don't treat this as cesspit for everything.

... says the kook who keeps treating it as a suitable forum for
advertising a commercial product (and not just any commercial product,

Though you do at least have one redeeming characteristic: you're not
morphing. Or posting blank replies.

--
Friendly Neighborhood Vote Wrangler Nadegda

Fakey couldn't teach a monkey to eat a banana, much less answer a direct
question posed to him. -- Fakey's Dogwhistle Holder

hot-text

1 Jun 2017, 18:08:3601/06/2017

> In message <oga5pl$in$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, hot-text writes:
>> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message

>>> I believe that in some systems, it's embedded in one of the system
>>> files - io.com perhaps?
>
>> Perhaps In A NT System
>> But In The DOS It Is
>> A BMP Name As A SYS
>> LOGO.SYS Is That Files
>> I Have Edit It
>> I Do Run A 98 SE sp-1

>If it is there, the system will use it.
> Try removing it,
> to see what your system shows during boot.

J. P.
I Rename It LOGO.SY_

It's A BMP
With A Black Background White Text
It's Now Safe Turn off Your Computer

For LOGOW.SYS
It's The Windows Logo
With The Words At The Bottom

Windows Is Shutting Down

LOGOW.SYS I Edited It

I Reboot And It Shutting Down
With A Big X

Well Looking Like You Right
When Booting

Look Like Its In A DLL
Or
File Some Where

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOGO.SYS

At < http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/4735-48-logo >
orbzMay 10, 2002, 11:04 PM

The Win98 startup logo is not
located in a logo.sys file.

I think it is located in the io.sys
file that you cannot open and view.

So if you were to copy one of the logos.sys or logow.sys
to C:\ and rename it logo.sys then when Win98
starts up then it will show the shutdown screens.

I Tested It C:\ and rename it logo.sys
Work On Boot

Mynews

1 Jun 2017, 20:33:1901/06/2017
"hot-text" wrote in message news:ogq391$41o$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

"J. P. Gilliver

File Is Some Where

At < http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/4735-48-logo >
orbzMay 10, 2002, 11:04 PM

The Win98 startup logo is not
located in a logo.sys file.

I think it is located in the io.sys
file that you cannot open and view.

So if you were to copy one of the logos.sys or logow.sys
to C:\ and rename it logo.sys then when Win98
starts up then it will show the shutdown screens.

I Tested It C:\ and rename it logo.sys
Work On Boot

How To Make It
Just Like The One At Win-98 Boot
Windows 98 / 95 / ME® Animated Logo Screens
< http://xrxlogo.com/win95logo.htm >