MSI Deployment with DirectX runtime

DGP

Jan 18, 2008, 3:07:00 PM1/18/08

I usually deploy my Visual Basic.NET software using the MicroSoft Deployment
interface. The MSI file is created and I allow it to be installed over the
network. I recently added some sound features to one of my packages using
DirectX.DirectSound and I was wondering how must of you developers check for
and install the DirectX runtime on the client machine. I was planning on
using the "Launch Condition" in the Setup package. Any thoughts on including
the runtime on the distribution?

Sincerely,
Don

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

Jan 18, 2008, 4:24:50 PM1/18/08
Typically it's done via an MSI Custom Action to call DXSETUP.EXE (in the DX
SDK REDIST) folder. Note that you can configure the DXSETUP by removing
unneeded cabs.

See the DirectX SDK article "DirectX Installation for Game Developers" for
details
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb219742(VS.85).aspx

--
Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

DGP

Jan 22, 2008, 8:23:37 PM1/22/08
Chuck,

Thanks for the link, all good stuff. The author must be a genius! However,
since I haven't distributed with DirectX before, it would be helpful to have
a hands on example. What I glean from the article is that I need to create a
custom action to run dxsetup.exe without prompting the user. And currently
I'm not even going to worry about reducing the size of the library. Yet, I'm
not sure if this "custom action" requires a "launch condition" or other
deployment tool. In other words, how ingrained is the inclusion of DirectX
-- or is it an ad-hoc work around.

I was looking on various sites like www.codeproject.com for an example. Do
any pop into mind? I am quite familar with Visual Studio development and
simple deployment methods, only this appears to be more advanced.

Sincerely,
Don

DGP

Jan 22, 2008, 8:23:56 PM1/22/08
Chuck,

I bit more on the DirectX installation. The article you wrote and
referenced is very good and explains the theory. My main confusion is in
actually applying the theory. It would seem that I need to import the
DirectX redistribution files into the deployment project, but do I do this by
dragging it into the "Project" or go to the "File System" under the
"application folder" tab, then add an assembly. Finally, once I have the
proper files can I work with the Visual Studio GUI to force a silent running
or is this going to be done by editing a script? I'll continue my quest for
what appears to be a non-trivial endeavor.

Sincerely,
Don

supoch14

Aug 22, 2008, 3:28:00 PM8/22/08