REGEDIT4 vs. REGEDIT5

JOSEPH MANN

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
Could someone explain the differences in Regedit for NT vs. Regedit for
Win2k. Is there anything that would prevent an older .reg backup from
NT 4.0 to successfully import into a W2k registry. Thank You.

Joseph Mann, MCSE, MCP+I

JMV

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
I've never had a problem importing a regedit4 file into Win2k. However if you are saving a win2k registry entry for NT you should
choose to save it as regedit4 file in the save as dialog box.

--
John M. Vittone
MS MVP

news

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00

like JMV stated, you have to pay attention to which type of reg file you
use:
in a NT4 reg file the first line is 'REGEDIT4' where a W2K reg file starts
with
'Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00'

Since Nt4 cannot merge reg files created with Win2k, I suggest to use only
NT4 files (at least change the header to REGEDIT4) to avoid problems (win2k
can actually merge nt4 reg files).

George S. Ellis

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00

Just as another avenue to look at, try possibling using INF files. Much
more flexible, supports all of the different reg types (like Reg_multi_sz
with append...), can delete keys AND values (reg can do keys, I forget if
values always works or is supported), and can do INI files too.

The launch is
RUNDLL32 SETUPAPI,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\myreg.inf

Sample INF file...
=========================
[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg = AddReg
UpdateInis = UpdateInis
DelReg = DelReg
[AddReg]
;the next line slipts because of mail formatting
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\HTREE\ROOT\0","AttachedComponents",FLG_ADDRE
G_APPEND,"ROOT\LEGACY_MGA64\0000"

[UpdateInis]
"C:\WINNT\WIN.INI","Devices",,"Generic / Text Only=winspool,LPT1:"
"c:\boot.ini", "BOOT LOADER", "TIMEOUT=1"

[DelReg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run","HP Tray Icon"
=======================================
By the way, note that I used an INF go change the boot time in the BOOT.INI
after adjusting the attribs so that it could be written to.

Hans-Georg Michna

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
JOSEPH MANN <J...@MEDNETPHYSICIAN.COM> wrote:

> Is there anything that would prevent an older .reg backup from
>NT 4.0 to successfully import into a W2k registry.

Joseph,

no, I don't know of any way (short of programming) to avoid
that.

Hans-Georg
No mail, please.