error reading from file

Alon

Feb 27, 2003, 4:55:59 AM2/27/03
Hi All,

This error appears when trying "show history" or "check-
in" of a specific file.

This is critical problem, please advise :

1. Can I restore/copy the specific file from a backup
database WITH history and labels ?

2. Can I identify the (likely) damaged history-file, and
replace it with a good one from a backup of the database ?

3. To run Analyze - can I do this on a specific project or
only on the entire database ?

Thanks,
Alon

Patrick McCormick

Feb 27, 2003, 11:20:21 AM2/27/03
Hi Alon,
error reading from file
is a bit generic does it actually give you a file name?
You seem to indicate that this always happens on a particular file.
Does it still happen if you turn off sourceSafe security. Does the file
show up with a strange filename?
One can replace individual; file pairs and maintain the history (up to when
the backup was created). You can identify the physical file by running ss
physical $/ -r -ophysical.txt to get a mapping?
The generic form of this message normally means
1. corrupt rights.dat
2. a corrupt names.dat
or
3. the project has a reference to a physical file that is actually missing.

I hope this helps.

Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com

Patrick McCormick
Developer Support Engineer, VSS
Microsoft Corporation

Alon Meirson

Feb 27, 2003, 6:17:51 PM2/27/03
Hi Patric,

Thanks for the prompt response and advise.
I need some more info, please advise :

1. The error message does not provide any additional
information. It happens when "check-in" or history done to
the specific file.
2. I tried to turn off VSS security and it still happened
(but there were still 2 users connected - is it OK? )
3. The filename appears as expected in the project folder.
4. Properties dialog is displayed (after the same error)
with missing/garbage version info and date.
5. Replacing the damaged file/s :
I identified the physical file (Encoder.dll -->
RFFYAAAA ), how do I replace it ? What is the "pair" you
mention ?

Thanks again,

Alon

>.

Patrick McCormick

Feb 28, 2003, 2:05:44 PM2/28/03
Hi Alon,
Files in SourceSafe always occur in pairs RFFYAAAA and *.A or *.B file.
You can try just replacing those two files in the data\r directory from
backup.
It really sounds as if it might be a corrupt rights.dat file. I
artificicial produce the same error where during the checkin process i got
error reading file. Even with rights turned off the problem occurred. In
my case I just renamed the names.dat (DON'T do this in your case unless
you have no files with spaces or characters over 32 in length otherwise
filenames get truncated and spaces are replaced with underscores) and
renamed rights.dat (you might have to do this but it means you will have to
rea-apply security setting manually) and ran analyze -f build 9350. This
resolved the problem.

I would suggest
1. try replacing RFFYAAAA and *.A or *.B
if this doesn't work
2. upgrade to vss Sp6 and run analyze -f
if this doesn't work
3. backup database and rename rights.dat and run analyze -f to rebuild.
(re-add user rights)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need something further as far as
explanation.

Patrick

Alon

Mar 2, 2003, 6:29:53 PM3/2/03