Error message while trying to install Visual Studio 2008

Drewski

Feb 22, 2008, 9:15:00 AM2/22/08
I downloaded this product through the dreamspark website, used the software to

burn the image to a DVD disk. I then entered setup and selected "Install
Visual

studio 2008". The setup began "copying required resourses to my temp
directory".

It successfully went through 64 out of 75 and when the setup

reached "D:\Setup\VSSetupWatson\DW20.EXE" an message came up

saying "Setup has encountered a problem while trying to copy

D:\Setup\VSSetupWatson\DW20.EXE" and asks me if I want to retry or cancel.

Several presses of the retry button has not worked. I also re-started the
setup, and

took out the disk to check for surface scratches (brand new disk anyway), and

again attempted to try the setup once more. Now I am writing this in need of
Help

for this problem. I tried to be as detailed as possible to pinpoint the
problem. Thank you

PvdG42

Feb 27, 2008, 11:19:04 PM2/27/08

"Drewski" <Dre...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

What's the source of your VS 2008? MSDN download? Did you check the SHA-1 of
your file against the published value? Try another download. Try burning the
ISO at the slowest possible speed. If all these fail, possible bad optical
drive. Install drive emulation software such as Daemon Tools, mount the ISO
in the virtual drive and retry the installation.

Drewski

Feb 29, 2008, 11:20:02 AM2/29/08
Thank you. I actually got a hold of microsoft support and I ended up having
to use The Daemon tools software to install the program.

mobilemaster

Apr 3, 2008, 10:25:01 AM4/3/08
I also had problems with the same error:
D:\Setup\VSSetupWatson\DW20.EXE

I am running XP with office 2003 components.
I tried using DAEMON tools lite to mount the iso file virtually...
same error

Tried removing Office 2007 components(that I read might be the cause in
another thread). I only had Sharepoint Designer 2007, so I uninstalled it.
same error

I had our tech guy download the iso file and copy it to the network drive.
He did not use the DL manager. I tried virtually installing it and it failed
due to improper image type. This could have been because the file was still
being copied at the time I was trying to use it (but I doubt it - I know it
is a huge file, but it was a solid image[not transparent] and I had waited
quite a while).

I tried downloading the 2005 version, but .NET live or whatever was having
problems, so that was a no go.

I tried downloading the iso file again(although the first one was the full
3.30 GB), this time using the download manager that the download page links
to.
left the download running over night, this morning it canceled at 76%
without the ability to resume...

Last ditch effort, I tried the file that the tech guy dLed and mounted it
virtually using DAEMON tools lite.

Low and behold it installed fine. Making backup and sys restore right now. I
couldn't believe it. I just sat there for about 2 minutes with eyes wide and
mouth open staring... like the guy in the famous scream painting.

This completely defies the definition of idiocracy - doing the same thing
over and over expecting a different result. I am excited to see what errors
and bugs I can scrape off the wall with this version...

There is one way to make absolutely sure it doesnt happen, that is to quit
trying...

owdear

Apr 8, 2008, 6:28:00 AM4/8/08
iv given up.....spent all weekend trying to load visual studio 2008 sick of
dw20 error
decided to stick with visual studio 2005 it may not be as good but at least
it works.
had the same problem with vista that was pants aswell

spel

Dec 27, 2008, 2:22:04 PM12/27/08

"owdear" wrote:

I guess I will have to adopt the same solution : opting out of VS2008, and
stick to VS2005. It seems the same probleminvolving DW20.EXE has been coming
out for many years, without a viable solution.

THENRAL

May 27, 2009, 5:54:01 PM5/27/09
Any Conclusion on this thread

spel

May 30, 2009, 7:45:01 AM5/30/09
None, as far I as know.

Anna_MSFT

Jun 1, 2009, 2:10:01 PM6/1/09
Can either of the people experiencing issues with this please provide the
following: a) Which image did you download, and from where (url)
b) What's the SHA1 hash of the file you downloaded?

We haven't been able tp repro what you're experiencing, and the info above
would greatly help us pinpoint the issue.

Thanks,
Anna
Developer Division Release Team
Microsoft

fledermaus

Jul 15, 2009, 6:50:01 PM7/15/09
I'm afflicted with the same issue.

SHA1: 56a0f9bbaa3f498e1867d1fac5cb4b4c0432a555
Image: VS2008ProEdition90dayTrialENUX1435622.iso
Source:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=83c3a1ec-ed72-4a79-8961-25635db0192b

I do not find an easily available published SHA1 value with which to compare
the above.

Cheers.

snemana

Oct 6, 2009, 9:06:01 AM10/6/09
Anna, the ball is in your court now as every one of us are eagerly waiting
for your response. I had the same issue and thanks to this most relevant
thread. Thanks for your help in advance, and you are the only hope for us to
get started.

I downloaded VS .Net 2008 90Day trail version from this same URL link as as
reported by Fledermaus. My experience is - there is no issue with the
recording the ISO image on the DVD at all. In fact I double confirmed by
burning 2 DVDs.

DW20.exe file access is a problem only on Vista and I did not have a problem
in installing this DVD on a XP Pro, but unfortunately my XP Pro crashed and
so I am struck up with using Vista laptop now. I need help disparately to
proceed.

I was about to try to disable the DW20.exe execution from the registry as
per the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841477 but then I thought I should
take advice as a Microsoft expert from in-house. Please reply to this and
save us all. The other option for me is to go back to my XP Pro and
reinstall it and proceed with this .NET 2008 by restarting a fresh new life
discarding my Vista laptop.

snemana

Oct 7, 2009, 12:15:01 AM10/7/09
Anna, Here is an update. It is not the problem with XP vs Vista. It is really
narrowed down to specific latest version of the 90day trail ISO image
version.

Reason is - I could install this well using my old DVD which downloaded from
this location as an ISO image of 90day trial .Net 2008 almost a month back,
while working on my XP. That old ISO image worked fine. But the recent one
that you see now is failing on both XP and Vista with this "can not read
DS20.exe" file error. This confirms that the latest ISO image on Microsoft is
a bad image. Your suspicion on our specific download version is appropriate.
Can it be fixed?

Message has been deleted

Alex

Nov 10, 2009, 12:08:05 PM11/10/09
Same here, I've downloaded the same version from msdnaa and it gives me the
same error. I have win 7 (also from msdnaa). I've tried to mount it in daemon
tools which gives me the DW20.EXE error.

I tried burning it with the inbuilt burner in win 7, and it said the image
file is not valid. I tried to burn it in imgburner which went well, but it
still produces the DW20.EXE error.

"ThePinguin" wrote:

> I actually used the MSDN download tool for the ISO. And without
> success. Have downloaded the file twice, but still getting the same
> error.
>
> Product: Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition (x86 and x64 WoW) -
> DVD
> .

SuperArmy

Dec 11, 2009, 5:53:01 AM12/11/09
I have the same problem on XP and Vista Home Prem

http://msdn62.e-academy.com/elms/Storefront/Storefront.aspx?campus=ukent_delec&np1=112
thats where i DL VS 2008
Not sure how to find the SHA1 hash

Emma

Jan 23, 2010, 10:48:02 AM1/23/10
I get exactly same error after downloading

fr_visual_studio_2008_professional_x86_x64wow_dvd_X14-26327.iso

through the dreamspark website.

I try to burn ISO file (ImgBurn and Nero) on two 2 Verbatim -R DVD.

It seems that original Microsoft mater file is the problem.
What's the official solution?

toe

Feb 11, 2010, 10:34:01 PM2/11/10
Did i waste my time dl, have they given up on fixing this?

1337 PSU@discussions.microsoft.com Coop 1337 PSU

Feb 19, 2010, 7:07:01 AM2/19/10
I had the same problem using Vista Home x86.
Since this is the first result when I googled this issue I will post my
solution here... I'm sure this will help many people.

HERE IS THE FIX:

Disable ALL firewalls/security etc.
e.g. Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and McAfee or whatever security
software you are using.
On top of that I disabled UAC before attempting to install again.
I'm not sure if that is necessary but heres how to do it:
Start -> type 'run' in the search field and press enter.
type 'msconfig' in the run dialog box and press ok.
Go to the 'tools' tab and scroll down until you see 'Disable UAC'.
Click the Launch button then restart your computer.
Try installing again and YES!
Finally resolved...
Happy coding.

Ponury

Mar 1, 2010, 3:32:05 PM3/1/10
I've done it. After 30 minutes of searching the web I couldn't find the
solution. But then I realized thad my ISO file downloaded from MSDNAA is
nothing more then just an rar archive. I've extracted the files and installer
run correctly! It works on Windows 7 don't know how it will be on Vista.

Bart

Mar 4, 2010, 1:41:01 PM3/4/10

I got the same issue. I downloaded the ISO image on the MSDNAA server,
mounted the image, using the virtual DAEMON manager, but i had to cancel the
installation because of not being able to copy the DW20.exe file...

Still not any solutions yet?

nlambson

Apr 9, 2010, 3:06:07 PM4/9/10
I downloaded the following ISO using the download manager.

Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition(x86 and x64 WoW) - DVD (English)

I have downloaded this 3 times, each time I have mounted the .iso using
Daemon, Virtual Clone, and some other freeware software. Every time I have
received the error:

"
Setup has encountered a problem while trying to copy:
E:\Setup\VSSetupWatson\DW20.EXE
Press Retry to attempt the copy again. Press Cancel to cancel setup.
"

any help would be greatly appreciated. The link to the download was done
through the Computer Science website at Brigham Young University through the
MSDNAA program, aka free for students like me.

Agus

Apr 20, 2010, 10:47:01 AM4/20/10
Did anyone solve this?? because i have the same problem and would like to
have a solution please!

I've downloaded mine from
http://msdn04.e-academy.com/elms/Storefront/Home.aspx?campus=ieee_cs_r9
Dont know where the sha or md5 is...?