Unable to create DCOM user account

Kelvin

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
Peter:

Hi, it seems from your message that you are having some troubles installing
VS6. The error message that you are getting is:

" Setup was unable to create a DCOM user account in order to register
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\VS-
ENT98\Vanalyzer\valec.exe."

This problem could be caused by problems with the cryptography DLLs on
Windows NT,which can be caused by applying a Service Pack to a system more
than once. There is an article that you may reference on this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q196/7/57.asp

As the article mentions you will need to register the Rsabase.dll file as
follows:

1. Open a command prompt.

2. Go to the c:\winnt\system32 directory.

3. Type "regsvr32 rsabase.dll" (without the quotation marks) to register
the DLL.

4. Rerun the Visual Studio Setup.

You also mentioned that you had a problem with mscomctl.ocx. Do you get an
error that says this file can not be registered/found during the initial
install or after the faulty VS6 install?

Thanks

Kelvin
Microsoft Developer Support Professional

Peter Croft

Aug 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/22/00
Thanks for your reply.
I did as you suggested but got this message -
CAPI: The install failed. The rsabase.dll that is being installed doesn't
match the signature file or the value in the registry.
followed by -
DllRegisterServer in rsabase.dll failed.Return code was: 0x8000ffff.
I have searched the MSDN site but can't find this specific error.
Can you help please?
Peter

Peter Croft

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00

And...
The problem with the OCXs occurred after install, when I loaded up an
existing VB project.
So I tried regsvr32 for the missing OCXs :
mscomctl,mscomct2,msrdc20,tabctl32,dblist32.
I got messages saying that the registering had worked but in VB it still
said they were not registered when I did Project/Components/Apply.
I am puzzled. Is the rsabase problem preventing this working too?
Thanks,
Peter

"Kelvin" <kelvin...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hello,
I am having to reinstall VS 6 after a power failure wiped my registry and I
had to rebuild my system - NT 4 w/s, SP5.
I get the attached error message and the install says it fails. I managed to
get some VB stuff installed but it is missing MSComCtl.ocx for example.
Can anyone advise please?
Thanks,
Peter Croft

Kelvin

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Hi Peter,
At this time it does not look like your control problem is related to your
rsabase issue. In regards to the controls not functioning correctly I
suggest you use the VB6Cli.exe which fixes License Problems with Visual
Basic 6.0. This executable can be found at the following URL along with an
article that addresses the issue. Please take a look at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q194/7/51.asp

In regards to the rsabase.dll not registering and returning the message "
CAPI: The install failed. The rsabase.dll file that is being installed
doesn't match the signature file or the value in the registry." I believe
this message is due to file version mismatch with rsabase.dll and
rsasig.dll. If you could please take a look at this article also:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q263/1/78.asp

In your case what you might like to do is upgrade your NT service pack to
SP6a. This should then take care of the version problem of rsabase.dll.
After you have applied the SP upgrade you can then test to see if it has
worked by manually registering rsabase.dll.