Error 1706 in VS2005 setup

BigMon

Nov 30, 2007, 4:43:01 PM11/30/07

I am trying to install/repair Visual Studio 2005 from a MSDN DVD. (Laptop,
XP Pro, up-to-date on updates, adequate memory). There is already an
installation from one year ago, but some components are missing. .Net 2.0
and Documentation install properly, but when it gets to VS2005, I receive
this error:

Error 1706. An installation error for the product MSVS 2005 Pro Edition -
ENU cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the
installation package 'vs_setup.msi'.

I have already selected this file in the appropriate folder on the DVD.
What gives? Anybody have a suggestion. I should be able to install this
easily.

Thanks

BJ
--
Big Mon

Phil Wilson

Dec 3, 2007, 2:07:38 PM12/3/07
I think most likely what gives is that the version on DVD does not match the
one you originally installed. Internally, that MSI that was originally
installed has productcode and packagecode guids. The one you're trying to
install is probably not matching the originals.
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]

"BigMon" <Big...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nguyen@discussions.microsoft.com Lan Nguyen

Jan 9, 2008, 6:46:02 PM1/9/08
I have this same error.

An installer appeared when I opened VB6sp6 (I had made no changes to VB6
since using it all day yesterday, and I have not used VS2005sp1 since I
installed it weeks ago.). After some time, the request for the VS2005
installer disc appeared. I put in the MSDN disc (exactly the one I installed
it from, we have no other copies here), pointed to the .msi file, and this
error appeared.

I cannot uninstall or repair VS2005, the same scenario occurs.

When I open VS2005, it starts with no issue.

I will note again, I made *no changes* to VB6 or VS2005 before the installer
began appearing and failing. None.

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.