??? VS 2008 Errors on Start Up ???

Tom Baxter

Jan 15, 2008, 11:47:21 PM1/15/08
Hello all,

I have a brand new fresh install of VS 2008. In fact, this is on a newly
installed XP SP2 machine. In fact, I have *two* machines, newly installed
with XP SP2 and VS 2008 and they both have this problem.

The first time I run VS I am presented with an error dialog:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
Package Load Failure

Package
'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestCaseManagement.QualityToolsPackage,
Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.TestCaseManagement, Version=9.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' has failed to load
properly ( GUID = {A9405AE6-9AC6-4F0E-A03F-7AFE45F6FCB7} ). Please contact
package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to
possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this
package in the future? You may use 'devenv /resetskippkgs' to re-enable
package loading.
---------------------------
Yes No
---------------------------

I simply clicked the "Yes" button. What does the error mean? I feel like
I've disabled a portion of VS 2008 functionality.

--
Tom Baxter

WenYuan Wang [MSFT]

Jan 16, 2008, 3:50:22 AM1/16/08
Hello Tom,

This is a Package Load Failure issue. The error message which you got means
the package
"Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestCaseManagement.QualityToolsPackage"
failed to load when VS starts up.

Have you tried the command "Devenv /resetskippkgs"? This command will
re-enable every disabled package. If the issue still persists, you can use
the /log switch (Devenv /log) to make a VS activity log (located at
{USERPROFILE}\{AppData}\Microsoft\VisualStudio\{Hive}\ActivityLog.xml).
Please paste log file in the thread. We will follow up.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more concern. We are glad to
assist you.

Have a great day,
Best regards,

Wen Yuan
Microsoft Online Community Support

Tom Baxter

Jan 17, 2008, 12:30:00 AM1/17/08
Hello Wen,

Thank you for the reply.

I don't know if "/ResetSkipPkgs" is truly resetting skipped packages or not.
After I run with "/ResetSkipPkgs" I then re-run devenv WITHOUT
"/ResetSkipPkgs" and I do not see the error. So, I'm at a loss.

But I know the very first timne I ran VS 2008 (after a fresh install) I
*DID* receive the error, and on two machines. I'm guessing it must have
something to do with the custom installations options I select.

In any case, there seems to be no problem, so, thank you again for your
response.
--
Tom Baxter

WenYuan Wang [MSFT]

Jan 17, 2008, 3:32:43 AM1/17/08
Hello Tom,
Thanks for your reply.

"/resetskippkgs" clears all options to skip loading added to VSPackages by
users wishing to avoid loading problem VSPackages. If the error doesn't
show up after you reset skipping packages, I believe the issue should have
gone away. Anyway, if you face this issue again, just fell free to update
here. We will follow up. It's my pleasure to assist you.,