Error - Failed to initialize the Modeling Engine

FHall

Apr 9, 2008, 11:15:01 AM4/9/08
I've been working on a large diagram for many months now in Visio 2003.
However today, I get "Error - Failed to initialize the Modeling Engine."
What can I do to fix this? Any help would be very appreciated!!!!

JuneTheSecond

Apr 9, 2008, 2:37:06 PM4/9/08
Hi, FHall.

Did you checked this site?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294008/en-us
--
JuneTheSecond

Now, visual calculation is more visual.
http://www.geocities.jp/visualcalculation/english/index.html

FHall

Apr 9, 2008, 3:31:01 PM4/9/08
Yes, I did. However, Visio isn't installed on my network. I've been working
with this one diagram for about 10 months now and haven't had any problems.
But, all of a sudden I do. I have Visio running on another machine without
these problems. It is just my machine. I ran it fine at 6pm last night, but
at 8am this morning I could no longer work with my diagram and I can't create
any new database diagrams and all I get is this message. Very strange.

JuneTheSecond

Apr 9, 2008, 5:19:00 PM4/9/08
Did you install any other software just before the accident?
May be you can check it with the check point of the Windows
in the menu hekp from the start button of Windows.
Restroe the system to just before the accident may refresh
the Visio.

FHall

Apr 10, 2008, 8:44:01 AM4/10/08
Thanks for the suggestion - that fixed the problem. I wonder if it was an
automatic update that occurred overnight that caused the issue. Whatever it
was, this fixed it - thanks so much for your help!!

Ed

Apr 14, 2008, 4:20:00 PM4/14/08
The very same thing happened to me. I do think it was automatic updates that
did it, because I'm in the "trial group".

dengia

Apr 14, 2008, 5:49:00 PM4/14/08

I found the following Visio update breaks the Modeling Engine: KB947650. I
uninstalled it and now Visio works fine again.

Ed

Apr 15, 2008, 9:51:00 AM4/15/08
You rock! Thanks.

Rubbrecht Philippe

Apr 16, 2008, 3:58:00 AM4/16/08
I've got the same problem since I installed the security update KB947650 last
night.

However, System Restore is not active on my computer so I cannot restore to
the situation before the automatic update... and trying to remove the update
through "Add or Remove Programs" does not work since it asks for a network
resource that I don't have available.
I assume it is looking for the Visio installer package... but Visio was
installed through our Corporate department and they remove installer packages
after installing.

Is there any other way to fix the Modeling Engine?!

--
Best regards,
Rubbrecht Philippe

D.Hathaway

Apr 16, 2008, 3:44:02 PM4/16/08
According to the article on this update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947650/en-us

This update can not be uninstalled.

"Removal information
An issue exists in Microsoft Office 2003 that causes Office to be partially
uninstalled when updates to certain components are installed or uninstalled.
This update fixes that issue. However, when the update is uninstalled, the
issue is reintroduced and Office is partially uninstalled. To prevent this
behavior, you cannot uninstall the update."

Wout

Apr 17, 2008, 7:51:00 AM4/17/08
Dude! You just saved my bacon! Last week I couldn't figure out what happened,
and just reinstalled the OS (rolling back to previous checkpoint also worked,
but needed fresh install anyway). Also discovered the 'Show updates' in the
Add or Remove Programs dialog, very handy! Never used that before!

Thanks again,

Wout

sbeashwar

Apr 17, 2008, 2:08:00 PM4/17/08
Yes, uninstalling the HotFix makes life much easier. I spent nearly four days
for a solution before I got here and got a fix for this problem.

Tommy

Apr 22, 2008, 5:01:01 PM4/22/08
Please see the string on this error below, beginning April 9.

I am supporting an environment where Visio is installed locally. It is not
run from the network. This is an institution in the financial sector.
Therefore it is highly regulated and security parameters are rigid, including
leaving all updates in place. Removing the offending patch is not an
available solution.

Has anyone found another solution to this issue? Or even, perhaps, a
workaround?

Thank you,

Tommy

JuneTheSecond

Apr 22, 2008, 5:46:00 PM4/22/08
Have you checked this site?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294008/en-us

chrismaness

Apr 23, 2008, 12:03:55 PM4/23/08
Working within our support structure, we found that SP3 for Visio Office Professional 2003 will fix this issue without having to remove KB947650. I had SP2, had this issue, SP3 installed and all is well.

Rubbrecht Philippe

Apr 24, 2008, 4:11:01 AM4/24/08
Hi there,

Problem could be caused by security update KB947650.
Uninstalling this update through "Add and remove programs" could solve your
problem.

--
Best regards,
Rubbrecht Philippe

murphyl

Apr 24, 2008, 8:58:00 AM4/24/08
Is no one reading this guy's problem? He cannot uninstall any updates nor is
he running from the network... I'm in the same boat and getting the same
"help".

Wout

Apr 24, 2008, 12:03:00 PM4/24/08
I am trying to file a bug report somewhere, but seems like Microsoft doesn't
have any ways to do that (I wish I had that luxury for my software!). Did
anyone report this bug yet or know how to do that?

Wout

Tommy

Apr 24, 2008, 4:50:00 PM4/24/08
Thanks for your support, murphyl. Never ceases to amaze me how people don't
read what's in front of them.

Well, the user in question in this case has upgraded himself to Visio 2007.
A drastic and expensive solution, and more than likely unnecessary but at
least for now I'm done working on it.

That's okay. . . it'll come up again.

Tommy

DanielM

Apr 28, 2008, 2:37:01 PM4/28/08
I had the same problem (Visio Enterprise Architect). I solved it by
completely uninstalling Visio, then reinstalling it (with a reboot in
between).

Hope it helps.

Roger Mähler

Apr 29, 2008, 8:26:00 AM4/29/08

Johnny

May 1, 2008, 3:08:11 AM5/1/08
I too have Visio for Ent. Architects and as Chris mentions above, installing
SP3 resolves this issue. Here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923620

EM