ERROR - Failed to initialize the Modeling Engine

reaverto

Apr 20, 2008, 8:37:44 PM4/20/08
I get this error no matter what PC I have Visio installed on, I have both
the Visio 2003 Professional version and Visio 2003 for Enterprise Architects
(on those machines where I have VS2005 installed).

I have it installed on 3 PCs at home and 2 at work and I get the same error
every time when I try to either open up a Database Visio Diagram or create a
new one. Is there a windows update that screws up Visio that I can
uninstall? I haven't done any product updates to Visio itself because after
reading through various groups it seems the updates cause more problems than
solve them. I am to the point of just reinstalling windows, then sp2 and
then office 2003 and not installing any other updates beyond that.

Are there any workarounds so I don't have to do this?

This problem has suddenly occured in the last two weeks and I can only
attribute
to some kind of conflict with one the recent windows update hotfixes. Any
help
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

reaverto

Apr 21, 2008, 12:39:00 AM4/21/08
I found the following Visio update breaks the Modeling Engine: KB947650

Made sure I had "show updates" checked off in add/remove programs and was
able to uninstall it, now everything works.

"reaverto" <reav...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

gzinger

May 5, 2008, 5:16:04 PM5/5/08
That fixed the problem for me.
Thank you very much!
--
http://www.zbitinc.com

Fletcher Gadsden

May 14, 2008, 4:36:32 AM5/14/08
The problem is fixed by downloading and installing Visio SP3. (sorry don't
have a URL for that at the moment).

url:http://ureader.com/msg/1129211.aspx

dunvid

Jul 7, 2008, 7:23:02 AM7/7/08
Hi

I get the same message but I have both Visio 2003 SP3 and Security Update
KB947650 installed on my PC.

davidphil2007

Jul 10, 2008, 9:18:01 AM7/10/08
I was having this same problem, and I already had SP3 and KB947650 Security
Update installed as well, but after removing KB947650, the problem was fixed.

Mon

Jul 18, 2008, 7:49:01 PM7/18/08
This worked for me too, except that I encountered a problem when uninstalling
it. It asked me to check if "Office Source Engine" service was started. So I
checked and made sure it was started.

"reaverto" wrote:

> I found the following Visio update breaks the Modeling Engine: KB947650
>
> Made sure I had "show updates" checked off in add/remove programs and was
> able to uninstall it, now everything works.

Suresh

Jul 21, 2008, 12:47:02 PM7/21/08

I removed, it started working.

Thanks for the inputs.

Regards

Madhu

Jul 22, 2008, 2:43:01 AM7/22/08
I removed the update and it solved the issue

CGI

Jul 30, 2008, 4:50:29 PM7/30/08

Can you tell me how to remove the updates?

Thanks

tschroeder250

Aug 6, 2008, 2:25:03 PM8/6/08
Has anyone from Miscrosoft responded to this? It would be nice to fix the
security vulnerability AND have the program work too! :-)

Todd

Barb Way

Aug 14, 2008, 7:29:55 PM8/14/08
Yes, we are aware of the problem, and an updated fix is planned, but not
yet published. I don't have an exact timeline - but I'll post an update
here to let you know when it occurs.

For now, removing the update (KB947650) is the only work around.

Barb Way
Product Support - Visio
Microsoft Corporation
[This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.]
--------------------

btorchin

Sep 19, 2008, 2:59:00 PM9/19/08
Is there an upgrade path, presumably to an Enterprise Architect version of
Visio 2007? If yes where can I find it and when will it be available?... If
not, is Microsoft working with a 3rd party vendor for us to migrate to?

Barb Way

Sep 25, 2008, 11:39:14 AM9/25/08
The Visio for Enterprise Architect product is no longer being developed,
and the last version is the one that was bundled with Visual Studio 2005
Team editions. If you have an MSDN subscription, you can still download
that version of VS and VEA to use for DB and SW modeling.

There is a short PPT slide deck on the VisioToolbox site that mentions
several other vendors applications which cover this area. You can download
it here :
http://www.visiotoolbox.com/downloads/MSFT_VEA_.ppt
(Note - the file is saved from PPT 2007, you will need to open it from that
version)

Barb Way
Product Support - Visio
Microsoft Corporation
[This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.]
--------------------

Is there an upgrade path, presumably to an Enterprise Architect version of

Barb Way

Nov 3, 2008, 5:00:36 PM11/3/08
Hello All -
A fix has been released which will resolve this issue and allow you to work
with the DB Modeling solution after the installation of the security update
in MS08-019.

The new hotfix ID is 958641, and it is available now, but must be requested
through (no-charge) support. You can review the options for making contact
with the support organization on the website here :
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

The article for the fix is : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958641

Two items of note:
> This update is basedline on Visio 2003 SP3, and unless that SP level is
installed, the update will not install.
> The article is being updated, and currently doesn't list the db modeling
issue among the issues fixed.