Usb support for Virtual PC 2007

stuartray

Jan 12, 2008, 9:46:01 PM1/12/08
Hi, I have XP x64 as my host and XP Home on my VC. My printer connects via
USB, there is no USB listed on the settings page. How do I get my printer to
work with my VC? My printer is the lexmark 2300 series.
--
Stuart

Bill Grant

Jan 12, 2008, 9:57:05 PM1/12/08
Just as you would if the vm was a completely separate machine. Share the
printer and connect to it through the network.

"stuartray" <stua...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

SiD

Jan 14, 2008, 6:24:59 PM1/14/08

what if there's no working drivers for the printer for the main system (the x64 one)? how can i install the printer under x64 and then share it?

stuartray

Jan 14, 2008, 6:59:02 PM1/14/08
Hi SiD,
Install the printer on your virtual PC, after you have set up both the host
PC (x64) and the virtual PC (XP 32 bit) for file and print sharing on a local
network. then on the host PC go to ypur printer and fax setup, hit add
printer. pick add network printer. On the next screen pick the 2nd choice
and hit next. this will bring up a list of networked printers with the proper
file names, click on the printer that is installed on your virtual machine
and it should install the 32 bit driver to run your printer. the printer
should now appear in your list of printers. See if it will print.
--
Stuart

Bo Berglund

Jan 15, 2008, 1:13:38 AM1/15/08
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:59:02 -0800, stuartray
<stua...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"SiD" wrote:
>
>> what if there's no working drivers for the printer for the main system (the x64 one)? how can i install the printer under x64 and then share it?

>Hi SiD,
>Install the printer on your virtual PC, after you have set up both the host
>PC (x64) and the virtual PC (XP 32 bit) for file and print sharing on a local
>network. then on the host PC go to ypur printer and fax setup, hit add
>printer. pick add network printer. On the next screen pick the 2nd choice
>and hit next. this will bring up a list of networked printers with the proper
>file names, click on the printer that is installed on your virtual machine
>and it should install the 32 bit driver to run your printer. the printer
>should now appear in your list of printers. See if it will print.
>--
>Stuart

You have missed the point the OP is making...
- He has an X64 system as the host.
- He has a USB connected printer with no driver available for X64
- He has a regular XP guest for which drivers exist
- The guest cannot access the printer (no USB support)
- So he cannot install the printer in the guest
- Thus there is no printer to share on the guest for the host to use

The bottom line is that the OP is out of luck unless one of these USB
over Ethernet gadgets can come in and rescue him....
Reason: VPC2007 does not pass through USB from host to guest.

Other solution:
Run the guest in VMWare (Player or Workstation) because they can pass
USB to the guest.

Bo Berglund

David Wilkinson

Jan 17, 2008, 2:32:36 PM1/17/08
Bo Berglund wrote:
> Other solution:
> Run the guest in VMWare (Player or Workstation) because they can pass
> USB to the guest.

Bo:

But you still cannot share the printer from the guest and use it on the
host, because the Windows shared printing architecture requires a full
driver on both the server (here the guest) and client (here the host).

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP

Jan

Jun 8, 2009, 1:17:50 AM6/8/09

OK.... So I get i have to set up a network for the virtual xp and host vista to share the printer.

How do I set up a network? I am an end user with limited teckie vocab so please keep it simple if you don't mind... or point me to where I need to go so I can set this up?

Thanks

please email direct so I know when you reply?

double thanks