Can VC Redistrib files at the root of the hard drive be deleted?

Dave Burns

Jul 16, 2009, 4:27:06 PM7/16/09
Customers have observed that the following files are installed in the root
of their (D:) hard drive, and they want to know if it is OK to delete these
files. What is the risk of deleting these files?

2007/11/07 08:00 17,734 eula.1028.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 17,734 eula.1031.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 10,134 eula.1033.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 17,734 eula.1036.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 17,734 eula.1040.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 118 eula.1041.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 17,734 eula.1042.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 17,734 eula.2052.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 17,734 eula.3082.txt

2007/11/07 08:00 1,110 globdata.ini

2007/11/07 08:03 562,688 install.exe

2007/11/07 08:00 843 install.ini

2007/11/07 08:00 5,686 vcredist.bmp

2007/11/07 08:03 76,304 install.res.1028.dll

2007/11/07 08:03 96,272 install.res.1031.dll

2007/11/07 08:03 91,152 install.res.1033.dll

2007/11/07 08:03 97,296 install.res.1036.dll

2007/11/07 08:03 95,248 install.res.1040.dll

2007/11/07 08:03 81,424 install.res.1041.dll

2007/11/07 08:03 79,888 install.res.1042.dll

2007/11/07 08:03 75,792 install.res.2052.dll

2007/11/07 08:03 96,272 install.res.3082.dll

2007/11/07 08:09 1,442,522 VC_RED.cab

2007/11/07 08:12 232,960 VC_RED.MSI

Scot T Brennecke

Jul 17, 2009, 3:59:59 AM7/17/09
Yes, they were placed there by mistake. Delete them.

Rong-Chun Zhang [MSFT]

Jul 17, 2009, 5:30:25 AM7/17/09

Hello Dave,

I agree with Scot. The CRT library is actually install under windows
side-by-side folder (%windir %\WinSxS), it should be work if you delete
these files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-by-side_assembly

Best regards,
Rongchun Zhang (v-rz...@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

msd...@microsoft.com.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

Nick Hartman

Aug 17, 2009, 11:39:01 AM8/17/09
Why are these file created here? The installer should use the %TEMP%
directory for temporary files? Is there a work-around when installing the VS
2008 Redist so that these files are not put in the root of the drive?

We launch the redist installer as part of our software's installation if it
is missing, and it is poor practice to leave temp files in the root of a
drive - messy.

Thanks in advance.

Scot T Brennecke

Aug 18, 2009, 2:57:04 AM8/18/09
Nick,
It was a mistake. There was no good reason for them to have been placed there, and it is certainly not common practice for the MS
installers to do that. However, you shouldn't be using that version anymore anyway. There are newer versions of the redist that
don't have that bug.

Scot