error RC2144 : PRIMARY LANGUAGE ID not a number

Chen

Dec 12, 2008, 4:14:30 AM12/12/08
When I build a project in VC6, I got errors below:
D:\Program\XXXX.rc (25): error RC2144 : PRIMARY LANGUAGE ID not a number
D:\Program\XXXX.rc (34): error RC2135 : file not found: 653

The project could be built successfully before I re-install my VC6.
What's the matter with my VC6? Or is there any wrong with my setting?

Serge Wautier

Dec 12, 2008, 8:34:36 AM12/12/08
Why do you assume that VC6 is wrong?
What does line 25 in XXXX.rc say?

--
Serge.
http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your MFC applications

"Chen" <che...@uniscope.com.cn> wrote in message

Chen

Dec 12, 2008, 10:32:23 PM12/12/08
I am not sure that VC6 is wrong, my VC settings could also be wrong.
Below is line 25 in XXXX.rc:

#if !defined(AFX_RESOURCE_DLL) || defined(AFX_TARG_CHS)
#ifdef _WIN32
\\Line25: LANGUAGE LANG_CHINESE, SUBLANG_CHINESE_SIMPLIFIED
#pragma code_page(936)
#endif //_WIN32

"Serge Wautier" <se...@wautier.nospam.net>
??????:%236l7j5F...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

Serge Wautier

Dec 13, 2008, 10:52:07 AM12/13/08
LANGUAGE is not the issue: it's a keyword, not an id.

We're left with LANG_CHINESE and SUBLANG_CHINESE_SIMPLIFIED. IIRC, LANG_XXX
are defined in winnt.h. Make sure this one is somehow included in your .rc
file. Check your Visual C++ Include Directories setting.

HTH,

Serge.
http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your MFC applications

"Chen" <che...@uniscope.com.cn> wrote in message

Joseph M. Newcomer

Dec 13, 2008, 2:20:31 PM12/13/08
Duh. And WHAT EXACTLY IS THE CONTENT OF THE LINES IN QUESTION?

Are we supposed to guess, by etheric vibrations, what is on line 25 and 34 of your input
file?

If you want to ask a question, provide enough information by which it can be answered. You
have omitted all important content here, and there is no way to guess what might have
happened.

Why did you re-install VS6? I tend to install a version of Visual Studio once per
computer for the lifetime of the computer.

Is the version you re-installed identical to the version that was used previously
(including all service packs?) If not, you are asking "why does some unrepaired version
of VS not accept input from a repaired version of VS?" and the answer is, "because that's
why there are service packs".

But if you want an answer, you have to supply ALL RELEVANT INFORMATION.

By the way, I'm getting some kind of syntax error when I compile my program. Could you
tell me what is wrong?
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newc...@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer

Dec 13, 2008, 2:24:25 PM12/13/08
OK, that's a LOT more help!

You have obviously not used the latest Platform SDK, so the words LANG_CHINESE and/or
SUBLANG_CHINESE_SIMPLIFIED are not defined symbols. If you insist on using a 10-year-old
compiler, you can expect that there have been changes made in the intervening decade.

You will need to use the latest Platform SDK that is compatible with VS6 (I think it,
itself, is several years old), but unless you are using the very latest tools possible,
you can expect errors like this to arise. It's called "compatibility". Your project was
obviously compatible with newer tools, and you went back and put in some obsolete piece of
software and failed to do all the updates that had previously been done, including the
Platform SDK, so you should EXPECT errors like this.
joe