LINK : error : Internal error during ReadSymbolTable

Brian Toothill

Sep 1, 2003, 10:11:33 AM9/1/03
I'm getting

LINK : error : Internal error during ReadSymbolTable

during linking an OCX. Also, the ActiveX control test container crashes
when I insert the above control.

Tian Min Huang

Sep 2, 2003, 2:48:09 AM9/2/03
Hi Brian,

Based on my experience, this link error may appear when an .obj exceeds
32767 (0x7fff) sections in Visual C++ 6.0. In VC7, we have upped the limit
to be basically an unsigned short instead, giving us a 0xfeff limit instead
of 0x7fff. Section indices of 0xff00 through 0xffff are still "special."

If you are using VC6, you will need do one or more of the following tasks
in order to work around it:
1. break apart the source file into smaller pieces
2. don't compiler /Gy
3. don't use /Gf or /GF
4. use fewer inline functions (instantiate them in different compilands).

If the problem persists, could you post a simple project which is able to
reproduce the problem?

I am standing by for your response.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

HuangTM
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE/MCSD

Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided “as is” with no warranties and confers no rights.

Peter Stark

Sep 17, 2003, 7:22:29 AM9/17/03
timh...@online.microsoft.com (Tian Min Huang) wrote in message news:<axpB04R...@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl>...

May I chime in at this point, as I've got a similar problem. I'm
generating a rather large ActiveX Wrapper DLL using templates, which
has worked fine in the past.

After the addition of a new class, I now encounter problems during the
link process with debug information. Generating the RELEASE product
seems to work fine.

The encountered error message is "Internal error during
ReadSymbolTable". If I remove some existing classes from the
interface, the project will link ok.

It seems to me, that all templates are instantiated within
BEGIN_OBJECT_MAP()/END_OBJECTMAP(), thus busting some linker
limitation. Is there any way to
- increase the linker resources
- or split up the object map into seperate modules
or any other solution, that preserves the external DLL interface ?

I'm working with WindowsXP SP1 and VS6 Prof.

Thanx for your support...
Peter

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Sep 17, 2003, 11:50:28 PM9/17/03
Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting in the group.

Have you build it in VC 7 to see if the probelm is still there? Also,
please rebuild the whole project and test again.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
!From: peter...@barco.com (Peter Stark)
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc
!Subject: Re: LINK : error : Internal error during ReadSymbolTable
!Date: 17 Sep 2003 04:22:29 -0700
!
!timh...@online.microsoft.com (Tian Min Huang) wrote in message
!> Hi Brian,
!>
!> Based on my experience, this link error may appear when an .obj exceeds
!> 32767 (0x7fff) sections in Visual C++ 6.0. In VC7, we have upped the
limit
!> to be basically an unsigned short instead, giving us a 0xfeff limit
instead
!> of 0x7fff. Section indices of 0xff00 through 0xffff are still "special."
!>
!> If you are using VC6, you will need do one or more of the following
tasks
!> in order to work around it:
!> 1. break apart the source file into smaller pieces
!> 2. don't compiler /Gy
!> 3. don't use /Gf or /GF
!> 4. use fewer inline functions (instantiate them in different compilands).
!>
!> If the problem persists, could you post a simple project which is able
!> reproduce the problem?
!>