WinInet-FtpGetFile errors 12003 and 12030

Michael Schwab

Jul 6, 2004, 1:37:23 PM7/6/04
(Note, this happens under both Windows XP (VC++6.0) or WinCE 4.2 (eVC++4.0
SP3), which is why I'm posting this question under both newsgroups).

I'm using FtpGetFile() repeatedly to copy a folder structure that contains
222 files (total 27Mb), of which one file is 17Mb and the rest are smaller.
The 17Mb file is one of the first (#8) to copy, and it does OK, but after
14-80 files are copied (around 18-19 Mb) I get error code 12003 from the
first file that fails, then 12030 from subsequent files. Codes in the 12000
range are not included in my message list in either environment, so I don't
know what this error means. Questions:

1. What do error codes 12003 and 12030 mean? (I can't find them in MSDN or
CE Help). What is actually failing here?

2. Is there any way to get the WinInet error messages (I've seen other Ftp
routines report 12xxx error codes) included in my XP and CE environments?

I thought maybe this was a limitation of our FTP site, but our IT group says
they can copy Gbs of data with no problem.

I tried skipping over the 17Mb file, and the other 221 files (10Mb) copy
just fine.

Then, even more mysterious, I tried copying the 17Mb file last (after the
other 221), and that works fine as well!

Any ideas? Can I depend on the workaround of copying the biggest file last
always working?
Thanks,
Michael Schwab

Chris Tacke, eMVP

Jul 6, 2004, 4:23:18 PM7/6/04
Take a look in wininet.h around line 2430

12003 == ERROR_INTERNET_EXTENDED_ERROR
12030 == ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_ABORTED

--
Chris Tacke, eMVP
Co-Founder and Advisory Board Member

"Michael Schwab" <michael...@cobecv.com> wrote in message

Michael Schwab

Jul 6, 2004, 6:01:49 PM7/6/04
OK, ERROR_INTERNET_EXTENDED_ERROR led me to InternetGetLastResponseInfo(),
which returned this error message for the 12003 error:
"200 Type set to I. 421 Terminating connection."

This still doesn't tell me what I did wrong, why it happens on random files,
or why it doesn't happen if I change the order of files that I'm copying.

What do I do next?

Michael Schwab

"Chris Tacke, eMVP" <cta...@spamfree-opennetcf.org> wrote in message

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Jul 6, 2004, 6:13:18 PM7/6/04
That sounds like something that the server is doing. Maybe there is a
connection time-out value set which will expire even if the connection is
actively doing something?

Paul T.

"Michael Schwab" <michael...@cobecv.com> wrote in message

Fernando Prieto

Jul 13, 2004, 4:22:17 AM7/13/04
I have a problem similar to yours. I'm using FtpGetFile() to download files
on a folder (total of 25 files, most of them are 1-3 Kb size). After
download 12-14 files, FtpGetFile fails... But the server (guild ftp) does
not show any error message, and the last message
(InternetGetLastResponseInfo) is not an error message (is: "entering passive
mode...").

FtpGetFile doesn't work again until i reset the device (iPaq compaq)...

Any ideas ? thanks