Vb 6.0 MSDN Setup file download.

Raj

Jul 6, 2007, 7:59:07 AM7/6/07
Hi All,

From where can i download msdn help setup for vb 6.0... Can
any one tip me on this please it would be of great help...............

MikeD

Jul 6, 2007, 9:56:01 AM7/6/07

"Raj" <rajes...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> From where can i download msdn help setup for vb 6.0... Can
> any one tip me on this please it would be of great help...............

Nowhere that I know of....at least legally...unless you're an MSDN
Subscriber.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

dpb

Jul 6, 2007, 10:13:28 AM7/6/07
Raj wrote:

> From where can i download msdn help setup for vb 6.0...

Speaking of, is VB documentation no longer online at all at MSDN? I was
away from installation and looking the other day and could find no links
to other than the Tips/FAQ/Solutions links, no way to find actual
documentation that I could find???

Jeff Johnson

Jul 6, 2007, 10:21:42 AM7/6/07
"dpb" <no...@non.net> wrote in message news:f6lip7$35o$3...@aioe.org...

> Speaking of, is VB documentation no longer online at all at MSDN? I was
> away from installation and looking the other day and could find no links
> to other than the Tips/FAQ/Solutions links, no way to find actual
> documentation that I could find???

Robert Morley

Jul 6, 2007, 12:21:06 PM7/6/07
Which is kinda sad, really. I mean, at this point, if you lose/damage your
October 2001 Help CD's, it'll cost you...what is it, about $1000 for an MSDN
subscription?...just to get the freakin' help files that go with VB6.

I suspect some of the peer-to-peer file sharing services would have ISO
images of the CDs available (which is NOT legal in most countries), but of
course, you take your chances there, since there could be embedded viruses
or who knows what!

Rob

"MikeD" <nob...@nowhere.edu> wrote in message

Ken Halter

Jul 6, 2007, 12:40:14 PM7/6/07
"Robert Morley" <rmo...@magma.ca.N0.Freak1n.sparn> wrote in message

> Which is kinda sad, really. I mean, at this point, if you lose/damage
> your October 2001 Help CD's, it'll cost you...what is it, about $1000 for
> an MSDN subscription?...just to get the freakin' help files that go with
> VB6.

Microsoft Library Subscription - $199 (not sure if that includes access to
the October 2001 version)
Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition with MSDN Professional Subscription
($1,199.00)
Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite with MSDN Premium Subscription ($10,939.00)
<-- OUCH!
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700832.aspx

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - Please keep all discussions in the groups..
In Loving Memory - http://www.vbsight.com/Remembrance.htm

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 6, 2007, 12:42:54 PM7/6/07
Robert Morley <rmo...@magma.ca.N0.Freak1n.sparn> wrote:
> Which is kinda sad, really. I mean, at this point, if you lose/damage your
> October 2001 Help CD's, it'll cost you...what is it, about $1000 for an MSDN
> subscription?...just to get the freakin' help files that go with VB6.

Totally agree. These "obsolete" *documentation* files (is knowledge ever obsolete?)
really need to be available to the entire community.

> I suspect some of the peer-to-peer file sharing services would have ISO
> images of the CDs available (which is NOT legal in most countries), but of
> course, you take your chances there, since there could be embedded viruses
> or who knows what!

Used to be an active torrent listed at www.thepiratebay.org, yeah. But it seems no
one's seeding anymore...
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Robert Morley

Jul 6, 2007, 2:05:39 PM7/6/07
I just checked eMule, which pulls from the eDonkey network and several
others, and there's a file there called MSDN_OCT_2001.iso, but it's 1.45G.
That sounds awfully large for a single CD ISO image. Does the ISO standard
support packaging multiple CD's in one file? Anyway, that one's got 16
sources currently, most of whom appear to be mass uploaders, as I started
downloading from 6 different people within moments of adding the file.
Noticeably, most of them are in China (where I believe copyright law doesn't
apply or at least isn't respected).

Anyway, I'm not going to download the file; I have two copies of the MSDN
2001 CDs, so I'm not going to waste my time and one or more CDs on finding
out if it's genuine or not. :) If anybody else wants/needs to try, you at
least know that it's out there now...or appears to be.

Rob

"Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Ken Halter

Jul 6, 2007, 2:14:10 PM7/6/07

>I just checked eMule, which pulls from the eDonkey network and several
>others, and there's a file there called MSDN_OCT_2001.iso, but it's 1.45G.
>That sounds awfully large for a single CD ISO image. Does the ISO standard
>support packaging multiple CD's in one file? ..............

That iso's probably designed to be burned to DVD.... like this one (name
snagged from MSDN downloads page) for VS2005 pro

en_vs_2005_pro_dvd.iso - ISO-9660 DVD Image (2760 MB)

dpb

Jul 6, 2007, 2:23:00 PM7/6/07

Thanks, somehow I couldn't seem to find at the thime what looks
straightforward going backwards up the tree from the link...

Who knows what I did wrong then now? :(

Robert Morley

Jul 6, 2007, 2:50:11 PM7/6/07
That thought had occurred to me, but I wasn't sure if MSDN October 2001 was
ever released on DVD, or if the ISO standard supported DVD. What can I
say...I only got my first burner about a year ago, and I think I've used it
twice so far, so I'm not exactly conversant with the technologies
surrounding it. :)

Rob

"Ken Halter" <Ken_Halter@Use_Sparingly_Hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jeff Johnson

Jul 6, 2007, 3:04:14 PM7/6/07
"Robert Morley" <rmo...@magma.ca.N0.Freak1n.sparn> wrote in message

>I just checked eMule, which pulls from the eDonkey network and several

>others, and there's a file there called MSDN_OCT_2001.iso, but it's 1.45G.
>That sounds awfully large for a single CD ISO image.

The old MSDN library used to come on 3 CDs, so the file size sounds right,
and as Ken said, it's most likely the DVD ISO, which became an option in the
early 00's.

Robert Morley

Jul 6, 2007, 3:29:45 PM7/6/07
Thanks, Jeff. As I said to Ken, I wasn't sure if DVD had ever been an
option. If I'd known it was, I would've guessed that that was the DVD
image.

Rob

"Jeff Johnson" <i....@enough.spam> wrote in message

Galen Somerville

Jul 6, 2007, 4:09:47 PM7/6/07

"Robert Morley" <rmo...@magma.ca.N0.Freak1n.sparn> wrote in message
Mine is on DVD and it's 2.06GB

Galen

mayayana

Jul 6, 2007, 4:20:06 PM7/6/07

> >> Speaking of, is VB documentation no longer online at all at MSDN? I
was
> >> away from installation and looking the other day and could find no
links
> >> to other than the Tips/FAQ/Solutions links, no way to find actual
> >> documentation that I could find???
> >
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa139596.aspx
>
> Thanks, somehow I couldn't seem to find at the thime what looks
> straightforward going backwards up the tree from the link...
>
> Who knows what I did wrong then now? :(

You started at Microsoft when you should have
started at Google. :)

Robert Morley

Jul 6, 2007, 5:28:33 PM7/6/07
Okay, so given compression, 1.5 Gig would be about right, then. Given the
number of people in China who had it, though, I hope it's in English for
anybody who needs it! :P

Rob

"Galen Somerville" <ga...@community.nospam> wrote in message

C Rule

Jul 10, 2007, 3:40:17 PM7/10/07

okay - I'm stumped. I don't see where you found it from that link and I
need it too.
Hope you don't mind spelling it out for me.

Thanks.

MikeD

Jul 10, 2007, 3:59:47 PM7/10/07

"C Rule" <rule...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> okay - I'm stumped. I don't see where you found it from that link and I
> need it too.
> Hope you don't mind spelling it out for me.

Huh? Did you click on the link? It takes you directly to the "home" page for
VB6 documentation (assuming that's what you're talking about since you
didn't quote anything).

C Rule

Jul 10, 2007, 4:50:12 PM7/10/07
>> Speaking of, is VB documentation no longer online at all at MSDN? I
was
>> away from installation and looking the other day and could find no
links
>> to other than the Tips/FAQ/Solutions links, no way to find actual
>> documentation that I could find???

>>Thanks, somehow I couldn't seem to find at the thime >>what looks
>>straightforward going backwards up the tree from the >>link...

>>Who knows what I did wrong then now? :(

Thanks - This is what I was quoting.
From that link I'm taken to a Product Documentation screen, but I don't
see any downloads. Then I go up to the MSDN Library link/branch but I
don't see any downloads. Then I go to the MSDN Library Archive but it
doesn't have anything. Must be right in front of my face, but I don't
see it.
Thanks again for your quick response.

dpb

Jul 10, 2007, 4:59:00 PM7/10/07
C Rule wrote:
>>> Speaking of, is VB documentation no longer online at all at MSDN? I
> was
>>> away from installation and looking the other day and could find no
> links
>>> to other than the Tips/FAQ/Solutions links, no way to find actual
>>> documentation that I could find???
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa139596.aspx
>
>>> Thanks, somehow I couldn't seem to find at the thime >>what looks
>>> straightforward going backwards up the tree from the >>link...
>
>>> Who knows what I did wrong then now? :(
>
> Thanks - This is what I was quoting.
> From that link I'm taken to a Product Documentation screen, but I don't
> see any downloads. ...

I wasn't asking about downloads, I had thrown in a sidebar request as I
hadn't located VB doc's online in an earlier search. Don't think it
_is_ available as download...MS is still trying to find the magic silver
bullet or wooden stake to kill the beast entirely but hasn't been able
to totally succed... :)

MikeD

Jul 10, 2007, 5:25:35 PM7/10/07

"C Rule" <rule...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

There are no downloads there. It's ONLY documentation (same as what's
included with VB). What is it that you're looking to download?

Raj

Jul 11, 2007, 2:02:07 AM7/11/07
On Jul 11, 2:25 am, "MikeD" <nob...@nowhere.edu> wrote:
> "C Rule" <rulec...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft MVP Visual Basic- Hide quoted text -

I am lookin to download the vb 6.0 msdn setup file as my cd has
got corrupted and the drive is not recognising the cd....

MikeD

Jul 11, 2007, 6:44:50 AM7/11/07

> I am lookin to download the vb 6.0 msdn setup file as my cd has
> got corrupted and the drive is not recognising the cd....

Oh. Heh, heh. Looking back, I know see that you started this whole thread
with that very same question. See? That's why you quote. And changing the
name you use to post doesn't make things any easier (assuming you are also
posting as "C Rule" too, which appears to be the case).

As mentioned in the very FIRST reply you got, you can't download this unless
you have an MSDN Library subscription. The documentation is available
online, but it's not downloadable. If you contact Microsoft, they may be
able to send you a replacement disc. Right off-hand, I don't know exactly
how (or who) to contact as MS for replacement discs, but Im sure the
information has to be somewhere on their general support site.

Also, you should verify it's actually the disc and not your drive that's the
problem. Try using the disc in another drive (friend's computer, work
computer, etc.). Unless you're abusing a CD or DVD, they don't normally
just "get" corrupted.

C Rule

Jul 11, 2007, 10:48:14 AM7/11/07

Oh. Heh, heh. Looking back, I know see that you started this whole
thread
with that very same question. See? That's why you quote. And changing
the
name you use to post doesn't make things any easier (assuming you are
also
posting as "C Rule" too, which appears to be the case).

>>As mentioned in the very FIRST reply you got, you can't >>download
this unless
>>you have an MSDN Library subscription. The documentation >>is
available
>>online, but it's not downloadable. If you contact >>Microsoft, they
may be
>>able to send you a replacement disc. Right off-hand, I >>don't know
exactly
>>how (or who) to contact as MS for replacement discs, but >>Im sure the
>>information has to be somewhere on their general support >>site.

>>Also, you should verify it's actually the disc and not >>your drive
that's the
>>problem. Try using the disc in another drive (friend's >>computer,
work
>>computer, etc.). Unless you're abusing a CD or DVD, >>they don't
normally
>>just "get" corrupted.

I'm only posting as C Rule - and I don't have the corrupted CD. I've
been assigned to work on a VB 6 app. I've never worked in VB 6 (only C#
NET) so I downloaded VB 6 via my MSDN subscription. When I open the
application in VB 6 I'm getting an error and when I clicked on Help,
it's telling me that the MSDN collection does not exist and to reinstall
MSDN. When I googled that error, I saw it was because I needed to
intall MSDN Library from 10/2001 - so that's what I was trying to find.

I'll contact MS to see if they can get me anything or check around here
to see if anyone has a CD.

Thanks for your help and sorry this has been so confusing - this is my
first time posting on this site.
Thanks again!

Ken Halter

Jul 11, 2007, 11:15:33 AM7/11/07

> I'll contact MS to see if they can get me anything or check around here
> to see if anyone has a CD.

If you downloaded VB as part of your subscription, no need to contact
anyone.... MSDN 10/2001 is available too.

When you log on to MSDN, go to the downloads section, You should see "MSDN
Library" in the list. Click on that and the first item in the list is
"2001-10 MSDN Library October 2001"

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 11, 2007, 12:47:20 PM7/11/07
MikeD <nob...@nowhere.edu> wrote:
> Also, you should verify it's actually the disc and not your drive that's the
> problem. Try using the disc in another drive (friend's computer, work
> computer, etc.). Unless you're abusing a CD or DVD, they don't normally
> just "get" corrupted.

Y'know, awhile ago I found that quite a number of CDs I had burned on Windows 2000
were not readable -- at all -- on any Windows XP machine I tried them on. Stick 'em
back in a W2K machine, real *or* virtual(!), and they were totally readable. Yeah,
pixxed me off, alright... <grumble>

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 11, 2007, 12:48:45 PM7/11/07
Ken Halter <Ken_Halter@Use_Sparingly_Hotmail.com> wrote:
> "C Rule" <rule...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'll contact MS to see if they can get me anything or check around here
>> to see if anyone has a CD.
>
> If you downloaded VB as part of your subscription, no need to contact
> anyone.... MSDN 10/2001 is available too.

Oh good lord, wasn't that *also* one of the very first responses s/he got???

What *is* it with these phreaks.net, that they can't be bothered to *read*?

MikeD

Jul 11, 2007, 2:03:05 PM7/11/07

"Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org> wrote in message

I wasn't real clear on this, but I wasn't talking about CDs or DVDs that you
burned yourself. I was talking about commercially purchased CDs and DVDs.

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 11, 2007, 2:51:08 PM7/11/07
MikeD <nob...@nowhere.edu> wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org> wrote ...

>> MikeD <nob...@nowhere.edu> wrote:
>>> Also, you should verify it's actually the disc and not your drive that's
>>> the
>>> problem. Try using the disc in another drive (friend's computer, work
>>> computer, etc.). Unless you're abusing a CD or DVD, they don't normally
>>> just "get" corrupted.
>>
>> Y'know, awhile ago I found that quite a number of CDs I had burned on
>> Windows 2000 were not readable -- at all -- on any Windows XP machine I
>> tried them on. Stick 'em back in a W2K machine, real *or* virtual(!), and
>> they were totally readable. Yeah, pixxed me off, alright... <grumble>
>
> I wasn't real clear on this, but I wasn't talking about CDs or DVDs that you
> burned yourself. I was talking about commercially purchased CDs and DVDs.

Yeah, I wasn't too clear either. I understood what you were saying, but it brought
this instance to mind. Yeah, I'm still really pixxed about it. I mean, how *dare*
they? Heck, I had an external USB CDROM drive - plug it into XP, and it couldn't
read the disks; plug it into W2K, and it could! WTF???

Stefan Berglund

Jul 11, 2007, 3:21:40 PM7/11/07
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:51:08 -0700, "Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org>
wrote:
in <ee7eyx#wHHA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>

>Yeah, I wasn't too clear either. I understood what you were saying, but it brought
>this instance to mind. Yeah, I'm still really pixxed about it. I mean, how *dare*
>they? Heck, I had an external USB CDROM drive - plug it into XP, and it couldn't
>read the disks; plug it into W2K, and it could! WTF???

That sorta falls into the category of live and learn but maybe you'll
consider using a third party burner instead of the mickey mouse software
microsoft provides for that purpose.

I can't count how many CDs/DVDs I trashed futilely ~trying~ to burn
using microsoft's copy it into the burn buffer folder crap.

I now use CDBurnerXP Pro 3 and I've had zero problems since April 24,
2006. I have clients with W2K, XP, and Vista and I burn on XP Pro and
nary a problem. The only problem was that they were planning a .NET
version -- never mind I see that version 3.0.116 is still available for
free download.

I use it to create an ISO image and then I use it to burn the ISO. And
it's quick as well.

---
Stefan Berglund

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 11, 2007, 3:33:01 PM7/11/07
Stefan Berglund <sorry.no...@for.me> wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Yeah, I wasn't too clear either. I understood what you were saying, but it
>> brought this instance to mind. Yeah, I'm still really pixxed about it. I mean,
>> how *dare* they? Heck, I had an external USB CDROM drive - plug it into XP, and
>> it couldn't read the disks; plug it into W2K, and it could! WTF???
>
> That sorta falls into the category of live and learn but maybe you'll
> consider using a third party burner instead of the mickey mouse software
> microsoft provides for that purpose.

These were burned with Nero and/or Roxio. On W2K. Couldn't be read in XP.

What's the lesson there?

Stefan Berglund

Jul 11, 2007, 4:11:17 PM7/11/07
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:33:01 -0700, "Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org>
wrote:
in <OeiWMJ$wHHA...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>

OK, sorry. I ASSuMEd you were using microsoft software. That is odd.
But I'd look at the devices real close too. Can you burn in XP and read
in W2K? Using the ~same~ software?

It's entirely possible that microsoft has a hand in it but there's an
awful lot of other variables in the mix too.

---
Stefan Berglund

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 11, 2007, 4:47:02 PM7/11/07
Stefan Berglund <sorry.no...@for.me> wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Stefan Berglund <sorry.no...@for.me> wrote:
>>>
>>> That sorta falls into the category of live and learn but maybe you'll
>>> consider using a third party burner instead of the mickey mouse software
>>> microsoft provides for that purpose.
>>
>> These were burned with Nero and/or Roxio. On W2K. Couldn't be read in XP.
>>
>> What's the lesson there?
>
> OK, sorry. I ASSuMEd you were using microsoft software. That is odd.

NP, and no-friggin-sheet. <grumble>

> But I'd look at the devices real close too. Can you burn in XP and read
> in W2K? Using the ~same~ software?

Yep.

> It's entirely possible that microsoft has a hand in it but there's an
> awful lot of other variables in the mix too.

I tried *really* hard to eliminate anything that could've possibly confused the
issue. What it comes down to is, XP just doesn't "like" some discs burned with W2K.
I mean, I even have other discs (from the same retail spindle!) that work on both,
if burned in XP. I moved a single piece of hardware back and forth. Used the same
software on both. That playing field was as level as I could imagine making it.

Stefan Berglund

Jul 11, 2007, 8:03:43 PM7/11/07
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:47:02 -0700, "Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org>
wrote:
in <Oc4Djy$wHHA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>

>I tried *really* hard to eliminate anything that could've possibly confused the
>issue. What it comes down to is, XP just doesn't "like" some discs burned with W2K.
>I mean, I even have other discs (from the same retail spindle!) that work on both,
>if burned in XP. I moved a single piece of hardware back and forth. Used the same
>software on both. That playing field was as level as I could imagine making it.

Then you answered my next question. I remember way back in 1999 or so
burning CDs that couldn't be read on a really old machine that had been
converted to Windows 98 but that was because I burned at a speed faster
than the ancient could read.

Yep, that pretty much says they did something to XP. Odd, really odd.
Did you by chance try the same experiment with a second piece of
hardware on both OSes?

---
Stefan Berglund

Pop`

Jul 11, 2007, 8:28:39 PM7/11/07

I can toss one other possiblility in for you, though it's probably not
relevant. During the flurry about that time in the late 90's, when everyone
was scrambling to print their own "pretty" CD labels, it was discovered
that some of the adhesives could damage the CD's usability. I was part of
the crowd and did use lables on some of the CDs I made for other people -
nice and professional looking, you know, stuff like that.
I became a little more of a believer when finally someone did some
scientific analysis (forget where; it's buried in my archives now) that
seemed to settle the matter. I do know that the only CDs I've ever had "go
bad" had those printed lables I placed on them. For a lot of reasons, not
to mention spindle speeds, that kind of labelling went the way of the
dinosaur, but ... thought I'd mention it just in case it was common to
something for you.

I also seem to recall that Roxio, around version 5.5 or so, had some sort of
a problem, too that was fixed in following revs. Never heard of Nero et al
having the same problem. Roxio's problem had something to do with whether
or not you closed the CD just so it could be played on "most" CD players or
you completelyh closed it to prevent future writing also; they're two
different choices, though I've never seen a difference in the CD's they
produce.

Just my 2 ¢ worth

Pop`

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 11, 2007, 8:38:26 PM7/11/07
Stefan Berglund <sorry.no...@for.me> wrote:

> "Karl E. Peterson" wrote:
>> I tried *really* hard to eliminate anything that could've possibly confused the
>> issue. What it comes down to is, XP just doesn't "like" some discs burned with
>> W2K. I mean, I even have other discs (from the same retail spindle!) that work
>> on both, if burned in XP. I moved a single piece of hardware back and forth.
>> Used the same software on both. That playing field was as level as I could
>> imagine making it.
>
> Then you answered my next question. I remember way back in 1999 or so
> burning CDs that couldn't be read on a really old machine that had been
> converted to Windows 98 but that was because I burned at a speed faster
> than the ancient could read.
>
> Yep, that pretty much says they did something to XP. Odd, really odd.
> Did you by chance try the same experiment with a second piece of
> hardware on both OSes?

Not with an identical piece of hardware. I was convinced though. I tried the discs
in probably close to two dozen machines, looking for patterns. Both with internal
drives, and with an external USB drive that I could move between them. Dunno what
was odd about these discs, but they simply couldn't be read by *any* XP box,
although *any* 2k box read them just fine. I couldn't repro the situation, either,
with newly burnt discs, so I'm left frustrated. The question is, how much old data
is "safely" backed up to CD, only to be wanted again after all 2k machines have been
retired/updated? Really sucks.

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 11, 2007, 8:41:00 PM7/11/07
Pop` <nod...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:
> I can toss one other possiblility in for you, though it's probably not
> relevant. During the flurry about that time in the late 90's, when everyone
> was scrambling to print their own "pretty" CD labels, it was discovered
> that some of the adhesives could damage the CD's usability. I was part of
> the crowd and did use lables on some of the CDs I made for other people -
> nice and professional looking, you know, stuff like that.
> I became a little more of a believer when finally someone did some
> scientific analysis (forget where; it's buried in my archives now) that
> seemed to settle the matter. I do know that the only CDs I've ever had "go
> bad" had those printed lables I placed on them. For a lot of reasons, not
> to mention spindle speeds, that kind of labelling went the way of the
> dinosaur, but ... thought I'd mention it just in case it was common to
> something for you.

No labels on these, though I fell for them too for awhile. There was Sharpie ink,
of course, identifying the content. Hard to see how either a label or ink could
affect discs on XP only, though, eh?

> I also seem to recall that Roxio, around version 5.5 or so, had some sort of
> a problem, too that was fixed in following revs. Never heard of Nero et al
> having the same problem. Roxio's problem had something to do with whether
> or not you closed the CD just so it could be played on "most" CD players or
> you completelyh closed it to prevent future writing also; they're two
> different choices, though I've never seen a difference in the CD's they
> produce.

There's a good chance these were burnt with Roxio (the freebie Dell version du
jour). I honestly can't remember.

Jim Carlock

Jul 12, 2007, 4:52:26 AM7/12/07
"Karl E. Peterson" wrote...
: The question is, how much old data is "safely" backed up to CD, only

: to be wanted again after all 2k machines have been retired/updated?
: Really sucks.

I've had great success with burnatonce.

http://www.burnatonce.net/
http://www.burnatonce.com/

It's kind of cryptic, alot of different parameters to get configured, but
it works. I've created plenty of disks on XP that were readable on
Win2K... I'm not sure if I've done it the other way around though. I
only use a CD burner and then pop CDs into CD/DVD readers. The
CDs are readable on NT4, 9x and Win2K. I've used that software
for a very long time (since 2000 or 2001) with no need for any other
software.

Don't know if it (or how it) works with DVD burners.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 12, 2007, 12:44:31 PM7/12/07

Thanks for the recommend, Jim. I'll keep that tucked away. I don't _think_ I'm
still having these issues. As I said, I can't seem to repro the situation with
fresh burns. But what kills me is the data that's already "backed-up" on discs that
are not readable on XP systems. Won't know what they are, until they're needed,
either. Not cool.

Stefan Berglund

Jul 12, 2007, 2:14:51 PM7/12/07
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:44:31 -0700, "Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org>
wrote:
in <#NLfsPKx...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>

>Thanks for the recommend, Jim. I'll keep that tucked away. I don't _think_ I'm
>still having these issues. As I said, I can't seem to repro the situation with
>fresh burns. But what kills me is the data that's already "backed-up" on discs that
>are not readable on XP systems. Won't know what they are, until they're needed,
>either. Not cool.

I'm still chewing on this unhappy prospect and the only thing that makes
sense is that perhaps it's related to microsoft's descent into the ill
fated DRM abyss.

---
Stefan Berglund

Karl E. Peterson

Jul 12, 2007, 2:23:41 PM7/12/07

It's funny/ironic you'd say that, actually. The failing discs all contained MP3s.
<g> (Although other, contemporaneously burned discs, did as well. Again, not an
identifiable failure-inducing trait.)

Jim Carlock

Jul 12, 2007, 10:04:01 PM7/12/07
"Karl E. Peterson" wrote:
> Thanks for the recommend, Jim. I'll keep that tucked away. I don't
> _think_ I'm still having these issues. As I said, I can't seem to repro
> the situation with fresh burns. But what kills me is the data that's
> already "backed-up" on discs that are not readable on XP systems.
> Won't know what they are, until they're needed, either. Not cool.

Ok, I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

Back in 1999 "I" literally built close to 1000 Windows 98 systems
and/or WinNT4 systems. The company that I worked for loved me
because their return rate went down from 50% to less than 1%. No
kidding. They stated their prior return rates were very high and 50%
might be a small exaggeration (then it again it might have actually
been higher). Sometimes I want to exaggerate something to get a
point across, but I don't have to do that here.

(And if anyone would like to know what made me better than the guy I
replaced, it's an easy question to answer. Feel free to ask. It's not a
fault upon the individual, he just didn't know what I knew. :-))

I ran into a batch of CD Writers/DVD Readers made by Creative Labs
that could read most DVDs. However, one specific model made by
Creative Labs (yeah, the Sound Blaster folks who I respected highly
at the time because of all their ISA sound cards), Creative Labs was
venturing into the CD-ROM market and I believe they ended up
buying CD/DVD players made by other companies and then they put
their name on the items (that occured with quite a bit of other electronic
computer hardware, especially those PCI sound cards).

I ended up calling Creative Labs multiple times, talking to multiple
"technicians" (salespeople) at Creative Labs. I knew that DVDs were
growing in size (meaning more and more data was getting put on them).
The "technicians" were really just salespeople trying to sell things and
they did not know what I knew. They were used to talking to other
technicians that did not read up on the latest events in DVDs (I ended
up with a subscription to some engineering journal that was oriented to
engineers in the laser field and the articles at that time talked about CD
and DVD formats).

It was the hardware that was faulty and the sales people held no clue
at what was going on in the DVD market. DVDs standards started
off at holding like 1GB of data on disks, then it went up to 2GB,
then another method provided 4GB and I think it peaked out at 8GB.
The numbers are probably not exactly correct, so take it just as a
description to give an idea of how the DVD technology developed.

The DVD format was not the only problem. CD-ROMs were made
to support 600MB, then 700MB, then 750MB, then... and again,
the numbers are probably a little off, but that's the way it went,
smaller and smaller tracks, better electronics, sensors.

Then there were some CD writers (sometimes a whole model line)
that could only read the CDs they created, other CD players were
unable to read the CDs created by those bad "models" or "drives".
Those CDW drives were a major pain to deal with and there were
alot of them out there manufactured under a whole bunch of different
names (most were unknown "no name" cheap drives but some others
carried labels by well-known companies, i.e. Creative Labs).

By the way, I own a Creative DVD player that works great! <g> And
this isn't to bash Creative Labs.

So what I recommend, when buying a new CD/DVD writer, is to do a
serious of read tests (some of the real-long movie DVDs that hold a
long movie are good to see if the player will read the higher formats).
Make sure the DVD player can read your old CDs and DVDs.

Then do a series of write tests, where you write to a DVD or CD and
then test that media in an old Windows 9x system to see if it can read
it, and then test it in another system. Two or three different machines. If
all read well, you've probably got a great drive and have no worries. At
least that's based upon my own personal experience.

If one of the other drives can't read the disk, take the new drive back
as soon as possible and ask for a replacement. It's a pain in the rump
way to do things but that's the only way to do it, as far as I'm concerned.
Testing to make sure that older systems can read and copy from a FULL
data disk is a requirement. Test the audio burn and playback as well.
And for DVDs, the video recording and playback is a must as well.

Trust no one? Trust no one. Test everything.

And one last thing I'll mention, is that burners may write very well at the
lower speed settings and then go to hell when you try to get them to
write at their "fastest" setting. So be prepared to do ALOT of returns
if you're testing things on their "fastest" write settings. I've seen a few
drives that don't work at their fastest settings but work very well at
slower settings. So whatever X they put on the drive may be a lie
and if you're buying cheap drives be prepared to use something lower
than their advertised fastest speed.

It's a good idea to test all purchased readers.

CD writers (and/or DVD writers) end up as a special class of goods that
require ALOT of special attention after they're bought. All disk drives fall
into this special class of goods, but my own personal experience really
indicates that special tests need to get performed to determine if a new
drive really works.

--
Jim Carlock

HeadShred

Jul 20, 2007, 5:36:03 PM7/20/07
Similar problem, my 2 MSDN Library cds have disappeared and VB Studio 6 has
been installed on my new office pc without them.

Is there anything I can do with the files from my old pc? I've tried
copying them across the network into an identical directory structure, but
when I try to execute HELP from within VB 6, it says the files are missing.
Something to do with the setup script I guess.

Any tricks anyone?
Thanks

"MikeD" wrote:

> "Raj" <rajes...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi All,
> >
> > From where can i download msdn help setup for vb 6.0... Can
> > any one tip me on this please it would be of great help...............
>

> Nowhere that I know of....at least legally...unless you're an MSDN
> Subscriber.

MikeD

Jul 20, 2007, 6:09:56 PM7/20/07

"HeadShred" <Head...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Similar problem, my 2 MSDN Library cds have disappeared and VB Studio 6
> has
> been installed on my new office pc without them.
>
> Is there anything I can do with the files from my old pc? I've tried
> copying them across the network into an identical directory structure, but
> when I try to execute HELP from within VB 6, it says the files are
> missing.
> Something to do with the setup script I guess.
>
> Any tricks anyone?

None that I know of. The thing is, there are support DLLs that need
registered and other entries in the Registry that must exist. I think
there's even config/INI files that must have the proper settings (again,
created during installation). Unless you properly install MSDN Library,
you're not going to have these.

The best advice I can give you is to look long and hard for your original
MSDN Library discs.

Not intending to be mean or come down on you in any way, but how can you
lose something so important? What's more baffling is why didn't you have
your MSDN Library discs stored right with your VB6/VS6 disc(s)?

HeadShred

Jul 20, 2007, 6:20:03 PM7/20/07
Unfortunately the cds are owned by THE COMPANY, and I was not made the
custodian of the software.

I only had them in my hands long enough to perform the installation....

Ralph

Jul 20, 2007, 7:16:07 PM7/20/07

"HeadShred" <Head...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Similar problem, my 2 MSDN Library cds have disappeared and VB Studio 6
has
> been installed on my new office pc without them.
>
> Is there anything I can do with the files from my old pc? I've tried
> copying them across the network into an identical directory structure, but
> when I try to execute HELP from within VB 6, it says the files are
missing.
> Something to do with the setup script I guess.
>
> Any tricks anyone?
> Thanks

<snipped>

It wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't be impossible.
Through diligence examining the folders, dependancies, and registry, it
should be possible to do it manually.

Good Luck

Stefan Berglund

Jul 20, 2007, 8:01:46 PM7/20/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:36:03 -0700, HeadShred
<Head...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
in <7616E2A2-2D76-4E69...@microsoft.com>

>Similar problem, my 2 MSDN Library cds have disappeared and VB Studio 6 has
>been installed on my new office pc without them.
>
>Is there anything I can do with the files from my old pc? I've tried
>copying them across the network into an identical directory structure, but
>when I try to execute HELP from within VB 6, it says the files are missing.
>Something to do with the setup script I guess.
>
>Any tricks anyone?

You could try installing HTML Help Workshop and see what happens. I'd
think that at least you'd then have the tools for displaying help. Yep.
I just used HTML Help Workshop to display the .chm files from the MSDN
folder on the MSDN DVD.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&displaylang=en

Then copy all the .chi and .chm files from the other machine using the
same folder structure. On my machine the .chi and .chm are not on my
hard disk but rather on the DVD. You might have to figure out some
missing registry settings if it doesn't work straight off but that
should be made much easier by having a working machine to examine.

---
Stefan Berglund

HeadShred

Jul 20, 2007, 10:04:00 PM7/20/07
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

HeadShred

Jul 20, 2007, 10:06:05 PM7/20/07
Ok, cool, at least I have a direction now. I checked the link you sent; so
my adventure will begin again tomorrow...wish me luck.
Thanks a lot.

soroush mtn

Aug 20, 2007, 3:38:13 AM8/20/07

arash pakizeh

Sep 24, 2007, 2:42:31 AM9/24/07

arash pakizeh

Sep 24, 2007, 2:41:31 AM9/24/07

Mike Williams

Sep 24, 2007, 4:48:53 AM9/24/07
"dpb" <no...@non.net> wrote in message news:f70s1q$a87$3...@aioe.org...

> Don't think it _is_ available as download [VB6 Help Files]
> ...MS is still trying to find the magic silver bullet or wooden
> stake to kill the beast [VB6] entirely but hasn't been able to
> totally succed... :)

. . . but they seem to be much more frightened of killing VBA, which is
still provided with MS Office 2007 applications, apart from their little
experiment in which they've killed the macro recorder in PowerPoint 2007
just to test the water ;-)

Mess about too much with the toys that the boss plays with and he might just
decide to buy his company's software elsewhere ;-)

Mike

ASANT KUMAR SWAIN

Nov 3, 2007, 11:56:16 AM11/3/07
I don't know. If you know please send me that address please. I also
need the msdn package for me

Karl E. Peterson

Nov 5, 2007, 3:58:52 PM11/5/07
ASANT KUMAR SWAIN wrote:
> I don't know. If you know please send me that address please. I also
> need the msdn package for me

Do the initials "TPB" mean anything to you?

Tim Rude

Nov 5, 2007, 5:29:34 PM11/5/07
Toilet Paper Burner?

Toy Poodle Buyer?

Tough Poo, Bonehead?

Total Porridge Burnout?

Tricky Panda Bugler?

Ticklish Pig Boycott?

Truculent Pomeranian Biscuits?

Tinned Pickled Beets?

Tom Passes Beans?

Tender Pudgy Barmaids?

Terribly Pugnacious Badger

Torrential Puddling Barf?

Typical Programming Blunder?

The initials "TPB" mean ever so many things to me. :)

--
Tim Rude

tim...@NOSPAM.hotmail.com
(remove NOSPAM. for correct email address)

"Karl E. Peterson" <ka...@mvps.org> wrote in message

barani kumar

Feb 5, 2008, 5:29:48 AM2/5/08
From where can i download msdn help setup for vb 6.0... Can
any one tip me on this please it would be of great help...............

Bob O`Bob

Feb 5, 2008, 2:06:40 PM2/5/08
barani kumar wrote:
> From where can i download msdn help setup for vb 6.0... Can
> any one tip me on this please it would be of great help...............

I don't think you can. I don't think it's actually free.

On eBay, there are quite a few sellers offering "MDSN Library 6.0"
for about twenty bucks. That will lack a few of the final updates,
which the ideal (October 2001) MSDN Library disc would have, but
it includes exactly what you asked for.

Bob

Stan the Man

Feb 5, 2008, 4:03:31 PM2/5/08
They came as part of the MSDN Subscription.

Karl E. Peterson

Feb 5, 2008, 4:09:06 PM2/5/08

And can still be d/l'd from MSDN, if you have an active subscription. (Hardly free,
I hesitate to add.) Otherwise, there's just the standard p2p/pirate channels.

Eduardo Valdez

Feb 9, 2008, 12:23:04 AM2/9/08

Eduardo Valdez

Feb 9, 2008, 12:28:57 AM2/9/08

Rahul Patel

Feb 15, 2008, 1:39:40 AM2/15/08

seyyed mohsen hossane

Mar 7, 2008, 4:57:53 AM3/7/08

hello

murat yalınız

Aug 21, 2008, 3:18:54 PM8/21/08

murat yalınız

Aug 21, 2008, 3:25:05 PM8/21/08

gdfgrte

mo ha

Sep 14, 2008, 7:09:49 AM9/14/08

Nahro Fuiad

Oct 4, 2008, 11:01:58 AM10/4/08

vb6

alim lia

Nov 2, 2008, 10:11:44 PM11/2/08

raimuna fonda

Nov 13, 2008, 8:21:49 AM11/13/08

Ali Eftekhari

Nov 21, 2008, 6:41:06 AM11/21/08

HI ,
I NEED TO DOWNLOAN THE MSDN FOR VB6.

PLEASE HELP ME

Randem

Nov 21, 2008, 10:44:50 PM11/21/08
You can't download MSDN, however you can use it on the internet...

--
Randem Systems
The Top Inno Setup Script Generator

"Ali Eftekhari" <eftekh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

daryanto dar

Nov 23, 2008, 8:32:53 AM11/23/08

Khizar Hayat

Nov 23, 2008, 10:09:45 AM11/23/08

I am begginner computer software developer, Please guide me if you some
knowledge about Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0
My E-mail Address :
Bur...@yahoo.com

mayayana

Nov 23, 2008, 10:38:04 AM11/23/08
I don't know whether this will help you, but you
can download later versions of the Win32 SDK.
I don't think that VB6 specifically is still in there,
but most everything else should be. I downloaded
the Server 2003 SDK awhile back out of curiosity.
It was offered on download.com. (!) The only catch
is that MS created a new, incompatible HTML help
format to go with .Net. I found a free program called
HelpExplorer that reads the files, but I gather that
if you want a convenient GUI with a master index
then you have to install some sort of .Net IDE.

Bill McCarthy

Nov 23, 2008, 11:05:48 AM11/23/08

"mayayana" <mayaX...@rcXXn.com> wrote in message

> I don't know whether this will help you, but you
> can download later versions of the Win32 SDK.
> I don't think that VB6 specifically is still in there,
> but most everything else should be.

LOL. Why are you pointing him to windows API documentation ? How could you
possibly think that the win32 SDK helps him with VB6 documentation ?

> I downloaded
> the Server 2003 SDK awhile back out of curiosity.
> It was offered on download.com. (!)

Oh my, that's hysterical. Rather than get the SDK's from Microsoft, you
wait till you see something somewhere else ..

Any way, enough of this nonsense, time for some FACTS:

The VB6 documentation is not available for download (at least not legally).
The VB6 documentation however can still be found on line at :

expvb

Nov 23, 2008, 11:06:34 AM11/23/08
There is a free downloadable version of MSDN for 2007/2008, but it doesn't
integrate with VB6, meaning that if you press F1, no help is provided. I
don't know if it includes VB6 documentation. Here is the link to download
it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=MSDN%20Library

Also, check this post for free alternatives:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.com/msg/a73a5226159c7157

mayayana

Nov 23, 2008, 11:49:44 AM11/23/08

> Rather than get the SDK's from Microsoft, you
> wait till you see something somewhere else ..

Yes. Here's a link:
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,1000000375,39329568s,00.htm

I don't remember exactly what the reason was that
I didn't get it from MS. Looking now I find one page that
offers either a web install or a DVD ISO. Another link requires
installing the WGA spyware. While CNet was offering a CD
ISO. Maybe MS had that, too. I don't know. But I'm not
surprised that it was easier to find on a 3rd-party site
than it was on microsoft.com.

Bill McCarthy

Nov 23, 2008, 12:27:44 PM11/23/08

>> Rather than get the SDK's from Microsoft, you
>> wait till you see something somewhere else ..
>>

> Yes. Here's a link:
> http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,1000000375,39329568s,00.htm
>
> I don't remember exactly what the reason was that
> I didn't get it from MS.

You're kidding us all right ? Surely you aren't suggesting the original
psoter download over 400 MB when that does NOT contain the VB6 help
documentation. How off topic can you possibly get ?

mayayana

Nov 23, 2008, 12:48:29 PM11/23/08
> Surely you aren't suggesting the original
> psoter download over 400 MB when that does NOT contain the VB6 help
> documentation.

The OP asked for MSDN for VB6. I find that I rarely
look up VB-specific items in MSDN. I typically am looking
up API calls, IE DOM details, etc. I actually only
downloaded the newer version out of curiosity, as I
like to avoid code that won't run on Win9x, so I
don't need updated docs. But to the extent that I
looked over the 2003 SDK it seemed to include most
older docs. So, to answer your question, if I were the OP,
and I had no copy of MSDN at all, then I'd be very interested
in the SDK download. It at least beats trying to find information
on the MS website, which often requires slogging through
3 or 4 unnecessary pages for each bit of info. ... assuming
that one can find things at all. Actually, I can't remember
the last time I even tried to find something by starting at
MSDN online. It's much easier to just use Google rather
than the MS site. Their site is disorganized, there are loads
of dead links, and their search is very poor. (And for anyone
without high-speed the MS pages are completely unusable.
It just takes too long to download bloated, 65 KB, superfluous
pages that often end up containing only 3 lines of actual text.)

I know you don't care about any of this, Mr. Bill,
but sometimes your nonsensical posts provide
convenient segues to provide more info. to someone who
might benefit from it. :)

Bill McCarthy

Nov 23, 2008, 1:02:37 PM11/23/08

> The OP asked for MSDN for VB6. I find that I rarely
> look up VB-specific items in MSDN.

Unbelievable. The poster asks for MSDN **for VB6**. You then come back
with some statement that you don't use MSDN for VB6.

> I typically am looking
> up API calls, IE DOM details, etc.

Which isn't VB6. Hey why don't we include .NET in there too, I'd bet you'd
like that ;)

> It at least beats trying to find information
> on the MS website

Actually no it doesn't because the VB6 documentation is only available
online if you don't have the original CD's. MSDN subscribers can of course
still download it, but if he isn't a MSDN subscriber he has to use online.
As to the rest of your rant, I'm sure you thought it was cute, but it was
just completely off topic to the original question. Even if we were to
assume you honestly somehow thought the original poster was after API
documentation for Windows, you should have pointed him to current versions
or asked for which version of windows etc, instead of picking some download
that wasn't even on Microsoft's site. As others have posted here, finding
the SDKs for download from Microsoft's downloads is incredibly easy once you
decide which of the many SDKs you want. But back to the topic, none of
them(other than msdn subscriber downloads) contain the VB6 documentation.

Mike Williams

Nov 23, 2008, 1:25:17 PM11/23/08
"Bill McCarthy" <Bi...@localhost.com> wrote in message

> . . . some utter nonesense as usual

Judging by the timings on your posts you seem to have been awake all night
Billy boy. This dotnet crusade of yours is really gettin' to you, isn't it!
Just let it go, sonny. Go back to your sheep.

subas sahni

Nov 25, 2008, 4:08:53 AM11/25/08

Kim Ngoc Nghia

Dec 10, 2008, 1:06:43 AM12/10/08

pandya sanjay

Dec 13, 2008, 8:38:44 AM12/13/08

hello will u give me the setup of vb 6.0 msdn

hari narayan koli

Dec 18, 2008, 3:08:50 AM12/18/08

wellington jesus balbino gimenes

Jan 7, 2009, 12:01:52 PM1/7/09

chetan kumavat

Jan 11, 2009, 2:03:33 AM1/11/09

corsia tan

Jan 14, 2009, 6:17:47 AM1/14/09
tks

mohmmad gabharani

Jan 20, 2009, 8:42:57 AM1/20/09

by which way can i download msdn?

Gaurav Jaiswal

Feb 10, 2009, 12:25:03 AM2/10/09

Hi

Please Download VB MSDN Setup File For programming Purpose.

Gaurav Jaiswal

Feb 10, 2009, 12:25:03 AM2/10/09

hi.

Yes Please You download msdn help setup for vb 6.0

laltu sarkar

Feb 10, 2009, 1:29:00 AM2/10/09

Gaurav

Feb 14, 2009, 6:47:56 AM2/14/09

thakyou Raj

Gaurav

Feb 15, 2009, 6:55:49 AM2/15/09
Dear Raj,
I Have recived MSDN Setup File But file is not download. So,
please once again send the MSDN Setup File

Rajesh Baruah

Feb 24, 2009, 3:46:53 AM2/24/09

from where can I download MSDN for Visual Basic 6.0

haresh katudiya

Feb 28, 2009, 9:59:01 AM2/28/09

hi
hello
i am working in msdn very use full product

chetan shirke

Mar 6, 2009, 6:17:52 AM3/6/09

rawon

Mar 9, 2009, 5:15:48 AM3/9/09

I want MSDN for Visual basic 6.....from where should I download.

ali makki

Mar 9, 2009, 6:14:39 AM3/9/09
It is loading more messages.