Can't start VB6: "Unexpected error; quitting"

Richard Grossman

Jul 27, 2006, 3:53:02 AM7/27/06
Can't start VB6: I get an error message "Unexpected error; quitting".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times over the past few days
trying to resolve this, with SP6.

The article 189472 suggests that MSO97RT.DLL and MRT7ENU.DLL must be in
c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\vba.

They both are there.

The article also suggests that VB can't run in shared mode as network
Administrator.

I'm not on a domain and my user id is in the local administrators group.

I have run VB6 successfully on this system but not in a few months, so I
can't really pin down what has changed.

Ken Halter

Jul 27, 2006, 10:18:58 AM7/27/06
"Richard Grossman" <Richard...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1D526493-A813-4D2C...@microsoft.com...

> Can't start VB6: I get an error message "Unexpected error; quitting".
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times over the past few days
> trying to resolve this, with SP6.

You might want to try uninstalling one more time. Before re-installing, run
RegClean (unsupported MS Freeware)

This post contains a link to RegClean if you don't already have it.
http://groups.google.com.my/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/msg/d90a154d5330f7d1?hl=en&

fwiw, I use System Mechanic (www.iolo.com) I liked their previous version a
little better but it's still very useful.

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - Please keep all discussions in the groups..
DLL Hell problems? Try ComGuard - http://www.vbsight.com/ComGuard.htm

Richard Grossman

Jul 27, 2006, 11:57:02 AM7/27/06
I have Registry Mechanic, but I've always been too cautious to let it go
delete tons of registry entries - you really really have to trust it for that.

Ralph

Jul 27, 2006, 3:07:19 PM7/27/06

"Richard Grossman" <Richard...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:44CE310E-32E2-4936...@microsoft.com...

It always provides a backup. And expect for a few possible 'licensing'
requirements (which should be easily identified by component or app and
easily preserved), if it detects "tons" of registry entries that should be
deleted, then it would seem you are long, long, past due.

-ralph <g>

DanMH

Jul 27, 2006, 8:40:54 PM7/27/06
Ken,

What issues are there in regards to RegClean and a Win2k/Office2k config?

I have that exact configuration and am hesitant to run RegClean
because of the listed problem. The Google response referenced
this problem and said it was easy to fix, but did not give any
further details.

Thanks for any pointer/details that you might be able to provide.

Regards,
DanMH

Richard Grossman

Jul 27, 2006, 11:55:01 PM7/27/06
I uninstalled VB. I rebooted, ran Registry Mechanic several times, rebooted,
ran Registry Mechanic again several times until there were 0 errors for
several runs.

I reinstalled VB6, and the VB SP6.

Same error: splash screen comes up, dialog box comes up: "Unexpected error:
quitting".

Stefan Berglund

Jul 28, 2006, 12:05:26 AM7/28/06
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:55:01 -0700, Richard Grossman
<Richard...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
in <55557C9B-9A6F-416F...@microsoft.com>

>I uninstalled VB. I rebooted, ran Registry Mechanic several times, rebooted,
>ran Registry Mechanic again several times until there were 0 errors for
>several runs.
>
>I reinstalled VB6, and the VB SP6.
>
>Same error: splash screen comes up, dialog box comes up: "Unexpected error:
>quitting".

Uninstall all instances of NORTON and/or MCAFEE and then repeat the
entire process. Heh heh.

---
Stefan Berglund

Stefan Berglund

Jul 28, 2006, 1:43:20 PM7/28/06
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:55:01 -0700, Richard Grossman
<Richard...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
in <55557C9B-9A6F-416F...@microsoft.com>

>I uninstalled VB. I rebooted, ran Registry Mechanic several times, rebooted,
>ran Registry Mechanic again several times until there were 0 errors for
>several runs.
>
>I reinstalled VB6, and the VB SP6.
>
>Same error: splash screen comes up, dialog box comes up: "Unexpected error:
>quitting".

Boot into safe mode and do the installation there. Don't forget to
login as an administrator.

This worked for in the past. Although I don't recall all the specifics,
it was a fatal error that aborted the install.

---
Stefan Berglund

Richard Grossman

Jul 30, 2006, 11:28:01 PM7/30/06
"Stefan Berglund" wrote:

> Uninstall all instances of NORTON and/or MCAFEE and then repeat the
> entire process. Heh heh.

Just for the record, there are no instance os Norton or McAfee on this
system; they have never been installed on it.

Richard Grossman

Jul 30, 2006, 11:30:01 PM7/30/06
"Stefan Berglund" wrote:

> Boot into safe mode and do the installation there. Don't forget to
> login as an administrator.
>
> This worked for in the past. Although I don't recall all the specifics,
> it was a fatal error that aborted the install.

Just for the record: there haven't been any errors, at least visible ones,
during installs, and the original problem occurred in a previously-working
installation, not after an install.

However, should anyone experiencing this issue come upon this thread, your
suggestion above would be worth a try because I didn't get to test it.

Richard Grossman

Jul 30, 2006, 11:34:01 PM7/30/06
Unable to resolve this issue.

I restored a previous month's drive backup image from prior to the
occurrence of this issue. I then ran Windows Updates except not Windows
Genuine Advantage. I updated to the lastest Zone Alarm and PGP Desktop, but
not the latest SpySweeper. After each change, I ran VB to make sure it still
started.

It is possible that Spysweer's latest version or Windows Genuine Advantage
is the source of the problem, or it could be something else.

I am going to make a new image backup and then try accepting the Windows
Genuine Advantage update.

Stefan Berglund

Jul 31, 2006, 1:10:53 AM7/31/06
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:34:01 -0700, Richard Grossman
<Richard...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
in <800FFD60-56E1-4D2A...@microsoft.com>

It sure sounds like you have something running during install that's
corrupting the install. Give the safe mode install a try - and make
sure all that foofy stuff is turned off during the install.

---
Stefan Berglund

expvb

Jul 31, 2006, 6:43:31 AM7/31/06
"Richard Grossman" <Richard...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:800FFD60-56E1-4D2A...@microsoft.com...

> I am going to make a new image backup and then try accepting the Windows
> Genuine Advantage update.

Unfortunately, Windows Genuine Advantage from Microsoft is a spyware. It
phones home every single day, and this is not in their EULA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage#Spyware_accusations