Error 8577: Failed getting rowset(s) from data source

Glyn Armstrong

May 15, 2002, 10:54:04 AM5/15/02
I have an application which contains a data report. The
datasource of this report is set to a recordset which is
returned by an ActiveX object. When the object is a DLL
the application works fine, but when I convert it to an
EXE (using the csame class module as before) then viewing
or printing the report raises an error 8577: Failed
getting rowset(s) from data source.

Has anyone seen anything similar?
Can anyone suggest a workround?

Scot Rose

May 15, 2002, 3:27:32 PM5/15/02
have you checked that there is in fact a recordset being returned by the
object (Bind it to a grid and make sure there is a recordset available.)

Scot Rose, MCSD
Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
Email : sc...@online.microsoft.com <Remove word online. from address>

Want to know more? Check out the MSDN at msdn.microsoft.com or the
Microsoft Knowledge Base at support.microsoft.com

This posting is provided “AS IS”, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------
>From: "Glyn Armstrong" <glyn_ar...@keane.uk.com>
>Sender: "Glyn Armstrong" <glyn_ar...@keane.uk.com>
>Subject: Error 8577: Failed getting rowset(s) from data source
>Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 07:54:04 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.dataenvreport

Glyn Armstrong

May 16, 2002, 4:32:11 AM5/16/02
Thanks for your reply Scot,
Yes, there is a recordset being returned.
I checked this by looking at the data (and navigating
through it) using the immediate window in debug mode. The
data all seems to be visible and correct.

Scot Rose

Microsoft Knowledge Base at support.microsoft.com

This posting is provided “AS IS”, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------
>From: "Glyn Armstrong" <glyn_ar...@keane.uk.com>
>Sender: "Glyn Armstrong" <glyn_ar...@keane.uk.com>

>Subject: RE: Error 8577: Failed getting rowset(s) from data source
>Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 01:32:11 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.dataenvreport

Glyn Armstrong

May 21, 2002, 5:09:08 AM5/21/02
Scot,

Thanks for your reply.
I was using the default cursor location.
When I set the location to aduseclient the exe works
correctly.
Is this behaviour by design or is it a bug?

Glyn.

> ìT works fine, but when I convert it to an

Scot Rose

May 28, 2002, 2:58:12 PM5/28/02
Bug or By design.... Hmmmm thats one of those questions for the ages... In
my opinion, serverside cursors are a bug waiting to happen, in this
particular case however, depending on a wide range of things. What database
are you using? If SQ Server, there are instances where Serverside is
preferable, others where Client is, and those times are not documented. If
Access? Well thats a Flat file database so there isn't a 'Server' there
anyway so ado tries to figure it out. Oracle? Doesn't have any support for
Serverside cursors and again ado attempts to figure it out...

Microsoft Knowledge Base at support.microsoft.com

<3d7e01c1fcb4$2c79d7e0$b1e62ecf@tkmsftngxa04>
<w7FdCLCACHA.1528@cpmsftngxa08>