Load Error 5

Rich Wright

Jun 13, 2008, 3:58:01 PM6/13/08
I have the USMT working great when the data can be stored locally. However,
when it needs to be stored on the network, that's when I start to see
problems. One particular test case will not restore all the data. It will
restore a number of files then will stop restoring them with error 5. Very
strange. What's even stranger is it was able to store one file in a location
but can't store another in the same location. Doesn't make any sense. I
double click the .MIG file and walk through the Easy Transfer wizard. That
also works to a certain point then stops. Here is a snip-it of the log.

Status [0x000000] Activity: 'MIGACTIVITY_MIGUNIT_APPLY'
Status [0x000000] Argument 1:
'C:\Users\dvogel\Documents\0,5110,42395,00.pdf'
Info [0x080000] Error 5 getting object
C:\Users\dvogel\Documents\0,5110,42395,00.pdf
Info [0x000000] Report problem is called
Info [0x000000] Unable to process object
C:\Users\dvogel\Documents\0,5110,42395,00.pdf, retries left = 3
Info [0x080000] UI requested retry

Terry Dolan [MSFT]

Jun 13, 2008, 7:35:02 PM6/13/08
Error 5 corresponds to access denied. (type net helpmsg 5 on the command
line to see).

Are you sure that the user running Loadstate has the proper premissions on
the network share?

For further help troubleshooting logs, check out this blog post:
http://blogs.technet.com/usmt/archive/2008/05/22/how-to-debug-a-usmt-log-like-a-pro.aspx

Rich Wright

Jun 13, 2008, 10:00:00 PM6/13/08
Thanks for your response Terry. The permissions are fine. Here is the
strange thing. It restores a few hundred megs of data before it starts
running into that error. It seems to happen when it is restoring a 2GB file.
Then from there it happens with every file.

JR--

Jun 17, 2008, 12:23:06 PM6/17/08
Hello Rich -

Can you check the scanstate log - do you see any errors on those files
during the gather?

Rich Wright

Jun 17, 2008, 3:35:03 PM6/17/08
Thanks for your reply. I was able to copy the .MIG file to a USB HD and load
the data from there. So the .MIG file seems to be OK. It can't be access
denied on the network share because it does restore some data. I am thinking
that a file is locked during the process or something similar.

Atkinson@discussions.microsoft.com Wade Atkinson

Aug 6, 2008, 12:49:00 PM8/6/08
Actually, it might be a network issue. We have seen using both Symantec
Sygate and Symantec Endpoint Protection that large file copies the firewall
will detect an attack and drop the connection. Make sure your firewall is
disabled and try it then.

Wade Atkinson
wade.a....@embarq.com

Rich Wright

Aug 8, 2008, 2:52:01 PM8/8/08
Thanks Wade. I actually discovered it was a port setting issue. I still
can't figure out why I saw Error 5 as the error but once we made both the
port and the network card set to auto, it worked? For some reason the port
was set at 100 full and the network card was set to auto as usual. I also
thought it was network related because in two other tests, I was getting
error 64. Thanks again.

Barrett@discussions.microsoft.com John Barrett

Sep 4, 2008, 8:04:01 PM9/4/08
I've come accross this error before as well. In my case I run everything from
a usb drive. I come accross this error in two situations the USMT comes
accross a file that local admin (the account I run the tool from) doesn't
have rights to a particular file. You might want to check the permisions on
the "0,5110,42395,00.pdf" file. make sure what ever account you are using has
ownership/full rights to that file. Hopefully that helps.
J Barrett