pharos gps 360

Edoardo Benussi [MVP]

May 10, 2005, 1:33:05 PM5/10/05
Hi all,
(sorry for my poor english)
at the recent MVP Italian Open Days
I have received as a gift a pharos gps 360 receiver
but i haven't Street & Trips.

I have dowloaded Ms MapPoint from my MSDN subscription.

After that I have downloaded from
http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/pharos_igps_en.html#Downloads
the win xp driver to try it on my win2k3 system or on
my winxp sp 2 system but dosn't work.

When i plug my usb gps receiver, my plug and play wizard starts
but end with "there is not information on such device".

What can I do ?

TIA

--
Edoardo Benussi - e...@mvps.org
Microsoft® MVP - Windows Server

tallguyinsocal

May 11, 2005, 3:01:06 PM5/11/05
you know Ed... its very intresting that the new MS streets and trips comes
with a GPS reciever and it looks exactly like the Pharos reciever???? makes
you go hummm ?? but when i try to use it with my ms s&t 2004.... its a no
go... maybe you can use your MSDN resorces to find out if there is a
customized patient on the MS gps "that looks like the pharos"... funny the
Otisa software loads and works welll with the pharos unit...but not the ms
software not sure why ... either the driver is not included or they want you
to purchase the whole kit being one or the other.....please let me know what
you find out I'm still researching this

TIA

Yves Konigshofer

May 11, 2005, 4:48:18 PM5/11/05
First, try downloading the drivers from:
http://download.pharosgps.com/download/drivers.htm

Then, run the setup program.

In Windows XP, the setup program should add a file named OEM*.INF inside the
C:\WINDOWS\inf\ directory (normally hidden) where the * is replaced by a
number and newly added drivers get the next higher number. See if you can
locate this file (the newest OEM file; it should have the highest number).
If you use Notepad, it should contain text including something like:

[Pro]
%DeviceDesc% = ComPort, USB\VID_067B&PID_aaa0

This describes the device ID for which Windows can use the driver
(USB\VID_067B&PID_aaa0). The VID is the vendor ID (Prolific Technology
Inc.) and the PID is the product ID.

Now, look at the following file with Notepad: C:\WINDOWS\setupapi.log, which
contains information about all hardware that Windows has tried to install.

Towards the bottom of the file (newer events appear towards the bottom of
the log), you should see something like:

#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s):
usb\vid_067b&pid_aaa0&rev_0300,usb\vid_067b&pid_aaa0
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s):
usb\class_ff&subclass_00&prot_00,usb\class_ff&subclass_00,usb\class_ff
#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
#I022 Found "USB\VID_067B&PID_aaa0" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem107.inf; Device:
"Microsoft USB GPS Port"; Driver: "Microsoft USB GPS Port"; Provider:
"Prolific"; Mfg: "Prolific"; Section name: "ComPort".
#I023 Actual install section: [ComPort.NT]. Rank: 0x00000001. Effective
driver date: 07/20/2004.
etc.

Notice that the USB\VID_067B&PID_aaa0 in the log and in the OEM file match.
It is possible that your USB GPS device does not share that same device ID
and thus the driver does not install (you would be missing the "Found" line
along with the oem*.inf part).

If the device IDs do not match, contact Pharos and ask if the drivers should
still work (and, of course, why the device ID is different from what it
should be; I assume that you are using an iGPS-360 with the included
USB-to-GPS cable). This may be the case if the vendor ID is the same.

If the driver should work for the device, you can try to edit the OEM file
and change all instances of USB\VID_067B&PID_aaa0 to what Windows reports
inside the log file. Then, you would also need to locate another OEM file
with the same number that ends with .PNF and delete that file (it's a
precompiled version of the corresponding .INF file that Windows will scan
instead of the .INF file when you connect a device; if missing, the .PNF
file should be regenerated from the available .INF file).

-Yves

"Edoardo Benussi [MVP]" <edoardo.b...@tin.it> wrote in message

Edoardo Benussi [MVP]

May 12, 2005, 3:37:18 AM5/12/05
Yves Konigshofer wrote:
[snip]

Thanks Yves,
this afternoon I try your solution.
Can u read even my previos post ?

Edoardo Benussi [MVP]

May 12, 2005, 3:35:36 AM5/12/05
tallguyinsocal wrote:
> you know Ed... its very intresting that the new MS streets and trips
> comes with a GPS reciever and it looks exactly like the Pharos
> reciever???? makes you go hummm ?? but when i try to use it with my
> ms s&t 2004.... its a no go... maybe you can use your MSDN resorces
> to find out if there is a customized patient on the MS gps "that
> looks like the pharos"...
[cut]

tnx for your response.

sorry but I think that there is a misunderstanding
or I don't understand fully your english.

The object that I receveid
is not a pure pharos gps receiver
but is a Ms gps receiver, labeled "Microsoft"
and producted by Pharos.

Is the same object included in "Ms Street & Trips w/gps"
but I have only the receiver and not the full product.

I try to use this receiver with "MapPoint 2004"
(with Pocket Street 2005 included)
that is the only product of this kind available in MSDN subscription.

After my researches, I have understood that this usb gps receiver,
when installing, map the usb port on a com port
and all Microsoft navigation product as
Street and Trips, Mappoint and Pocket Street try to find
the gps receiver on a com port. Is right ?

Well, this not work.

Edoardo Benussi [MVP]

May 14, 2005, 5:49:56 AM5/14/05
Yves Konigshofer <ykoniREMO...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
O6v%23GrmVF...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
[snip]

Thanks a lot,
your solution works fine.

Now I'm waiting that gps receiver syncronize
to tell me my position.

Cheers

Edoardo Benussi [MVP]

May 14, 2005, 7:54:42 AM5/14/05
Edoardo Benussi [MVP] <edoardo.b...@tin.it> ha scritto nel messaggio
uhcK4oG...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Now I'm waiting that gps receiver syncronize
> to tell me my position.

... but how many time is necessary to gps receiver to syncronize ?

Marvin Hlavac

May 14, 2005, 8:36:30 AM5/14/05
> > Now I'm waiting that gps receiver syncronize
> > to tell me my position.
>
> ... but how many time is necessary to gps receiver to syncronize ?

It usually takes about a minute for a GPS receiver to be able to tell your
location. The receiver should be outdoor and it should have a good view of
the sky.

--
Regards,
Marvin Hlavac

Yves Konigshofer

May 14, 2005, 12:15:20 PM5/14/05
The iGPS-360 is not a very sensitive GPS device and must be used outside or
very close to a window. To see if it is outputting data, use HyperTerminal
and set the COM port to 4800/8/N/1 with hardware flow control. You should
see readable text that is comma delimited. Some of that text will contain
the coordinates of the location the GPS thinks it is at (e.g. lines starting
with $GPGGA). If that location is something like 0000.0000 (or a large
rounded number) then the GPS has not yet figured it out. The lines starting
with $GPGSV can be used to determine if the GPS is detecting any satellites
at all. The format is $GPGSV,messages,message number,detected
satellites,data for up to 4 satellites. When things are working, the
messages number is usually 3, the message number is 1,2, or 3, and the
detected satellites number is present and not 0 (e.g. $GPGSV,2,1,5,...).

When the GPS is used for the first time or has been moved far away from
where is was used the last time, it can take a few minutes for the GPS to
determine its location because it needs to scan through all the possible
satellites (the $GPGSV messages will update as satellites are detected in
this process). S&T displays "initializing" until the GPS device has
determined its location.

-Yves

"Edoardo Benussi [MVP]" <edoardo.b...@tin.it> wrote in message

Edoardo Benussi [MVP]

May 14, 2005, 1:39:59 PM5/14/05
Yves Konigshofer <ykoniREMO...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
ebWboAKW...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> The iGPS-360 is not a very sensitive GPS device and must be used
> outside or very close to a window. To see if it is outputting data,
> use HyperTerminal and set the COM port to 4800/8/N/1 with hardware
> flow control.

Well, with hyperterminal and this configuration
for port com3 the receiver register all information.

I'll be probably OT but in MapPoint 2004 after
gps configuration and "Show my position" i see only
"Initializing ..."

Many thanks

Edoardo Benussi [MVP]

May 15, 2005, 4:43:20 AM5/15/05
Yves Konigshofer <ykoniREMO...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
ebWboAKW...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> The iGPS-360 is not a very sensitive GPS device and must be used
> outside or very close to a window. To see if it is outputting data,
> use HyperTerminal and set the COM port to 4800/8/N/1 with hardware
> flow control. You should see readable text that is comma delimited.
> Some of that text will contain the coordinates of the location the
> GPS thinks it is at (e.g. lines starting with $GPGGA). If that
> location is something like 0000.0000 (or a large rounded number) then
> the GPS has not yet figured it out. The lines starting with $GPGSV
> can be used to determine if the GPS is detecting any satellites at
> all. The format is $GPGSV,messages,message number,detected
> satellites,data for up to 4 satellites. When things are working, the
> messages number is usually 3, the message number is 1,2, or 3, and
> the detected satellites number is present and not 0 (e.g.
> $GPGSV,2,1,5,...).

I have re-read your post
but I understand very little in these things.

This is what I can read with HyperTerminal:

- for "$GPGSV" lines:
$GPGSV,3,1,12,13,0,0,0,15,0,0,35,2,0,0,0,3,0,0,0*49
$GPGSV,3,2,12,10,0,0,0,28,0,0,0,11,0,0,0,8,0,0,0*48
$GPGSV,3,3,12,23,0,0,0,4,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,121,0,0,0*4A

- for "$GPGGA" line:
$GPGGA,082906.684,0000.0000,N,00000.0000,E,0,00,50.0,0.0,M,0.0,M,0.0,0000*79

What is meaning ?

It seems to me that the receiver receive signal from satellites
but it can't establish coordinates, it's right ?
If it's right, why it can't find coordinates ?

Thanks for your help.

Yves Konigshofer

May 15, 2005, 12:36:25 PM5/15/05
It looks like the GPS device is still scanning for satellites (the ",0,0,0"
in the $GPGSV message means that it does not know anything about the
particular satellite; if the device is still scanning, the numbers before
the ",0,0,0" should gradually change). This can take up to 5 minutes
although it can complete in under a minute. Are you using the device
outdoors (the iGPS-360 does not work indoors)? Are you surrounded by tall
buildings or trees? GPS devices work best when they have an unobstructed
view of the sky.

As far as I know, the driver that is installed is for the USB cable, not for
the GPS device. Thus, the cable appears to be working and the GPS device is
outputting data. However, it may be that the GPS' antenna or receiver is
not working properly.

-Yves

"Edoardo Benussi [MVP]" <edoardo.b...@tin.it> wrote in message

Edoardo Benussi [MVP]

May 15, 2005, 12:48:29 PM5/15/05
Yves Konigshofer <ykoniREMO...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
OQ$SHxWWF...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> It looks like the GPS device is still scanning for satellites (the
> ",0,0,0" in the $GPGSV message means that it does not know anything
> about the particular satellite; if the device is still scanning, the
> numbers before the ",0,0,0" should gradually change). This can take
> up to 5 minutes although it can complete in under a minute. Are you
> using the device outdoors (the iGPS-360 does not work indoors)? Are
> you surrounded by tall buildings or trees? GPS devices work best
> when they have an unobstructed view of the sky.
>
> As far as I know, the driver that is installed is for the USB cable,
> not for the GPS device. Thus, the cable appears to be working and
> the GPS device is outputting data. However, it may be that the GPS'
> antenna or receiver is not working properly.
>
> -Yves

Thanks a lot,
i have unplugged my usb gps receiver
from one of my two domains controller
and plugged it into my notebook, then in garden all work very fine.
This mean that "near a window" is not sufficient for i-GPS 360.
Many thanks.
Bye.