Unable to validate product key - SQL 2000 Standard on Windows Server 2003

Christopher J. Hinkle

May 18, 2004, 9:02:23 PM5/18/04
Like a few other people, I have received an error message, "Unable to
validate product key," when trying to install SQL 2000 Standard on
Windows Server 2003. I noticed some people recommended replacing
pidgen.dll, but when I try to do that, Windows generates a new file
all by itself and overwrites what I've already done. Is there a way
to specify which pidgen.dll to use when setting up SQL Server?

Desperately,
chris.

Ashish Ruparel [MSFT]

May 19, 2004, 12:53:05 AM5/19/04
Hi Chris,

To work around this problem, you can try one of these two things

1. Add the following Registry Key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"SafeDllSearchModeTemp"=dword:00000000

2. You will find the Pidgen.dll in the "Temp\SQLSetup\Binn" folder. Delete
this file after filling in the Product key and before clicking on the Next
button.

HTH
Ashish

Christopher J. Hinkle

May 24, 2004, 12:54:56 PM5/24/04
I tried the first option (someone else had suggested it) and it didn't
work. Before I was able to try your second option I found a different
key for the product elsewhere and it worked. I guess there are some
keys which won't work with Windows Server 2003's pidgen.dll, perhaps.