Re: code 534 error with windows update for bis

Robert Aldwinckle

Apr 13, 2009, 10:55:34 AM4/13/09
(cross-post added to SQL Setup)
"neo7" <ne...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20DB873C-BC56-400E...@microsoft.com...
> Hi. My Windows update has been trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005
> Express Edition SP3 (KB955706) for the last two months, and every time it
> tries to install it, it keeps coming up with this error: Code 534 - Windows
> has encountered an unknown error.

> Does anyone know what this error is and
> what I can do to solve it, apart from turning the update off?

How are you seeing this? What is the context for it in the log(s)?

If it is a hex value you are seeing convert it to decimal
and then do your investigation with it.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x534
1332
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
</cmd_output>

> Windows update
> says this update is important for my system. I'm running Windows Vista
> Premium SP1.
> Thanks.

If you aren't already doing this, download the update and try installing it
manually. Then if there is still a problem installing it, your symptom would
be independent of the distribution mechanism and hence you may find
more knowledgeable help (e.g. someone else who has actually updated
successfully) in a newsgroup which specializes in the product being updated.
Cross-posting to SQL Setup for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---