database migration and aliases

JJ

Apr 8, 2002, 1:44:53 PM4/8/02
I recently migrated a SQL 6.5 db to SQL 7. I had some SQL security accounts
with an alias to dbo in the 6.5 database. When I looked at the security
rights of these accounts after the upgrade it appeared in Enterprise Manager
that they had no access to the db's. But when I tried to give them access I
got the error: "15022: The specified username is already aliased." So I used
sp_dropalias and then gave these accounts access.

My question is why doesn't Enterprise Manager show that these accounts have
dbo access? What query would show me that they are aliased to dbo?

TIA!
JJ

Dan Guzman

Apr 8, 2002, 11:47:19 PM4/8/02
You can execute:

EXEC sp_helpuser 'dbo'

to determine the logins aliased to 'dbo' in the current database.

Aliases are provided only for backward compatibility. Consider using
the db_owner database role instead.

Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP