Error 14113 when setting up Replication

Stuart McKenzie

May 7, 2002, 7:35:14 PM5/7/02
Hi There

I am having some trouble setting up replication on my win2k sql server
installation. When using the set up replication set up wizard, I get
through all the screens correctly, the Distrubution database is created, and
then I get error
14113 - Could not execute c:\...\osql" -E -I60 -t60 -d"distribution" -b -i
"..\instdist.sql" -o "..\instdist.out"

If I use query analyser, I can manually create the distribution database and
execute the instdist.sql script manually. If I do this and add my
publications and subscriptions as required will this work? If not, any
ideas on what is causeing the error above?

Any assistance / advise greatfully received

Regards
Stuart

Hilary Cotter

May 7, 2002, 10:10:13 PM5/7/02
is your SQL Server installation on your c drive? If so, go to

Go to c:\program files\Microsoft sql server\mssql\install and have a look
for instdist.out

If you can't figure out the problem by examining this file, go to c:\program
files\Microsoft sql server\mssql\binn

and run

osql -E -I60 -t60 -d"distribution" -b -i

..\install\instdist.sql -o..\install\instdist.out

Again post this file here,

"Stuart McKenzie" <stu...@shock.com.au> wrote in message

Stuart McKenzie

May 7, 2002, 10:29:13 PM5/7/02
Hi Hilary

Thanks for the response.

The .out file is not being generated at all, which leads me to suspect that
osql is not being fired at all. If I run the file from isql, it runs
perfectly. If I run the command manually from cmd.exe, it also works fine.
It just wont run from within the wizard.

Very strange!

Rgards
Stuart

"Hilary Cotter" <hil...@att.net> wrote in message

Hilary Cotter

May 7, 2002, 10:46:51 PM5/7/02
but this will create your distribution database, so you should be able to
get replication going from here. What happens if you go through the
replication wizards, like create a publication now? Was your distribution
database created?

"Stuart McKenzie" <stu...@shock.com.au> wrote in message

Hilary Cotter

May 7, 2002, 11:00:03 PM5/7/02
you also might want to create it through isqlw.

use master
go
sp_adddistributor @distributor = @@servername
GO
sp_adddistributiondb @database='distribution'
GO

report back here with any error messages you get

Stuart McKenzie

May 8, 2002, 12:21:58 AM5/8/02
Hi Hilary

Yes, running the script does create the distribution database, however,
there seems to be something else that the server is requiring in order for
it to know how to replicate. I tried running the commands you provided
below, once with the distribution database created manually, and once with
out. Both choked on the sp_adddistributiondb @database='distribution'
command, the output listed below.

/******** output starts **************/
The CREATE DATABASE process is allocating 2.00 MB on disk 'distribution'.
The CREATE DATABASE process is allocating 0.50 MB on disk
'distribution_log'.

Msg 50001, Level 1, State 50001
xpsql.cpp: Error 5 from CreateProcess on line 543

Server: Msg 14113, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_adddistributiondb, Line
430
Could not execute '" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\binn\osql" -E -l60 -t60 -d"distribution" -b -i"C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\install\instdist.sql" -o"C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\install\instdist.out" "'. Check
'instdist.out' in the install directory.
Server: Msg 14117, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_dropdistributiondb, Line
39

'distribution' is not configured as a distribution database.
Deleting database file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\DATA\distribution.LDF'.
Deleting database file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\DATA\distribution.MDF'.
/******** output ends **************/

I've had a look at the proc in question, the area where it breaks looks
pretty inocuous. I'll keep plugging away.

Regards
Stuart

"Hilary Cotter" <hil...@att.net> wrote in message

David SheafferMS

May 13, 2002, 5:56:24 PM5/13/02
Stuart,
Does osql work at all? Make sure you are a system administrator within
SQL Server. Can you run xp_cmdshell from Query Analyzer?
Also check what is the start up account used for the SQL Server service.
You should use a domain account which has local administator privileges.

dsh...@onlinemicrosoft.com

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.