Do I have to use port 1433? What about 80?

Nimalan Mahendran

Feb 12, 2002, 12:25:34 PM2/12/02

Hello everyone,

I am writing an applet that you access through a web
browser on the internet.

The applet allows you to view data from a SQL Server
database. So the applet connects to the SQL Server thru
port 1433, which is the JDBC Driver's default. I need to
implement this applet for people who may have port 1433
closed.

Is there anyway I can specify the JDBC Driver to use port
80? Or not even having to specify a port number, so that
it searches for an available port number?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nimalan Mahendran

Sridhar Paladugu[CompCon tech]

Feb 12, 2002, 1:20:57 PM2/12/02
Nimalan,

Port 1433 is not at all related to JDBC. It is the port number on which
SQLServer can be reached. You can configure your server to listen to
whatever port you want. Go thru SQL Server documentation.
You can set listen port for SQLServer thru Enterprise manager.
1. open Enterprise manager.
2. expand server group.
3.right click on server and select properties.
4. on general tab, click network settings button.
5. select TCP/IP on right handside list box and click properties.
This is where you can set the listen port for SQL Server.

I hope this addresses your issue.

Sridhar Paladugu
Microsoft Developer Support
JDBC Webdata

Are you secure? For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order
your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>.

Andy Judson

Feb 13, 2002, 3:15:59 AM2/13/02
I think it is this port blocking that is giving me hassle, i've got an
applet running on a win2k server (webserver) - this machine is also
running my sql server. The connection and everything about the applet
works fine when i access it from machines within the network, but if i
try to access it from outside then i get the following message, the
testing section is a pure socket connection and not the jdbc driver,
so what i'm wondering is - is 1433 port being blocked and what can i
do to bypass it eg. a good port that is open? etc.

REQUESTING - Connection to SQLServer: ICUTALK-SERVER:1433 - Database:
'grouper' as User: 'guest'...

ERROR - Connecting to SQLServer

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer JDBC Driver]Error
establishing socket.
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.tds.TDSConnection.<init>(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerImplConnection.open(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.getNewImplConnection(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.open(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at SQLServerDatabase.connectSQLSever(SQLServerDatabase.java:65)
at Grouper.init(Grouper.java:66)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

>>------------------------ BEGIN: TESTING SOCKET CONNECTION
------------------------<<

REQUEST - Opening a socket to host ICUTALK-SERVER on port 1433...
ERROR - Opening a socket. Here's why:

(java.net.SocketPermission ICUTALK-SERVER resolve)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkConnect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)
at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
at SQLServerDatabase.testSQLServer(SQLServerDatabase.java:33)
at SQLServerDatabase.connectSQLSever(SQLServerDatabase.java:73)

-------------------------<<

Sridhar Paladugu[CompCon tech]

Feb 13, 2002, 11:15:58 AM2/13/02
Try to change SQLServer port from 1433 to 80 in enterprise maneger if that
port is empty.
If you have webserver running on 80 change it to some other port like 90.
Let us see if this allows beyond firewall access. But if your network
restricts to access then best work around is to use servlet running on your
app server to do database access.
This is a java SecurityManager issue.

The best work around is to communicate with a servlet running on your host
to do all database stuff and use your applet as a client.