RE: Connection Reset Error with SQLState() = 08S01

Wes Clark

Aug 23, 2007, 6:48:02 PM8/23/07
I fixed my problem connecting to the MSDN forums by clearing my browser
cache.

"Wes Clark" wrote:

> The stack trace is
>
> Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Connection reset
> at
> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(Unknown
> Source)
> at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSWriter.flush(Unknown Source)
> at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSWriter.endRequest(Unknown Source)
> at
> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.doExecutePreparedStatement(Unknown Source)
> at
> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement$PreparedStatementExecutionRequest.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
> at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.CancelableRequest.execute(Unknown Source)
> at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeRequest(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.executeQuery(Unknown
> Source)
>
> This is happening during a performance stress test, and only happens very
> sporadically: two or three times during a multi-hour test of several
> simultaneous users pounding on the database. There are no events on the DB
> server, and nothing in the SQL Server 2005 log. The Tomcat server is running
> on Linux. We are using a commons-DBCP connection pool that validates the
> connection on borrow with "select 1", so we know the connection is good when
> we get it for the pool. The network error happens right after a prepare
> statement, so the connection is working, and then breaks on the execute of
> the prepared statement. The query is not a long running query. We've also
> checked the network health and it looks fine. We start some background batch
> jobs against the server before the errors start to occur.
>
> We are pretty much out of ideas. There are some relevant threads we can see
> by Googling this, but neither IE nor Firefox can get the msdn.forums,
> complaining the URL will never complete or something, which can be caused by
> not accepting cookies, but that's not the problem.

Wes Clark

Aug 23, 2007, 7:04:04 PM8/23/07
I have also posted this on the MSDN threads
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1761540&SiteID=1

Evan T. Basalik (MSFT)

Aug 28, 2007, 4:53:10 PM8/28/07
Wes,

What version of the Microsoft JDBC driver are you running? Also, can you post your full code? The stack trace in the MSDN posting doesn't seem to match
yours. Am I missing something here?

Evah
--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?V2VzIENsYXJr?= <WesC...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: RE: Connection Reset Error with SQLState() = 08S01
>Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:04:04 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver

Evan T. Basalik
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wes Clark

Aug 28, 2007, 8:18:01 PM8/28/07
I think it's the most recent production release of the MS JDBC driver:
1.1.1501.101.

We turned on a feature of DBCP to run a validation query when getting the
connection from the pool, and that eliminated the connection reset errors.
This implies the connections are going bad while idle in the pool. We saw
these errors when we started running intense batch jobs with long running
queries in the background on the same server using the same pool.

Here's the full stack trace. I had left out the lines from our code.

[...]

org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:92)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.sqlhandler.AbstractPreparedSelectStatementHandler.executeQuery(AbstractPreparedSelectStatementHandler.java:33)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.query.impl.SQLDataHolderPreparedStatementHandler.executeQuery(SQLDataHolderPreparedStatementHandler.java:33)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.transaction.ConnectionHandlerImpl.executeQuery(ConnectionHandlerImpl.java:374)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.transaction.ConnectionHandlerImpl.executeQueryCore(ConnectionHandlerImpl.java:310)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.transaction.ConnectionHandlerImpl.executeQuery(ConnectionHandlerImpl.java:255)
at com.guidewire.pl.system.database.DBKernel.executeQuery(DBKernel.java:49)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.StandardDatabase.read(StandardDatabase.java:514)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.query.impl.QueryExecuterImpl.read(QueryExecuterImpl.java:49)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.query.impl.QueryExecuterImpl.executeQuery(QueryExecuterImpl.java:151)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.query.impl.QueryHelperImpl.doGetKeys(QueryHelperImpl.java:295)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.query.impl.QueryHelperImpl.fetchKeys(QueryHelperImpl.java:58)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.impl.QueryResultImpl.maybeLoadNextChunk(QueryResultImpl.java:103)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.impl.QueryResultImpl.hasNext(QueryResultImpl.java:159)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.util.CollectionUtil.addAllFromIterator(CollectionUtil.java:380)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.util.CollectionUtil.buildListFromIterator(CollectionUtil.java:402)
at
com.guidewire.pl.system.database.impl.QueryProcessorBase.getResultsAsList(QueryProcessorBase.java:48)
at
com.guidewire.pl.domain.community.impl.VacationingUsersCacheImpl$VacationingUserEntry.ensureIsLoaded(VacationingUsersCacheImpl.java:47)
at
com.guidewire.pl.domain.community.impl.VacationingUsersCacheImpl$VacationingUserEntry.getVacationingUsers(VacationingUsersCacheImpl.java:39)
at
com.guidewire.pl.domain.community.impl.VacationingUsersCacheImpl.getVacationingUsers(VacationingUsersCacheImpl.java:76)
at
com.guidewire.pl.domain.community.impl.UserBaseImpl.getVacationingUsers(UserBaseImpl.java:478)
at
com.guidewire.cc.web.vacation.VacationFinder.usersOnVacation(VacationFinder.java:31)
at
com.guidewire.cc.web.vacation.VacationFinder.getVacationActivities(VacationFinder.java:40)
at
com.guidewire.cc.domain.activity.ActivityVacationViewFinderImpl.findVacationActivities(ActivityVacationViewFinderImpl.java:19)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor530.invoke(Unknown Source)
at

Evan T. Basalik (MSFT)

Sep 11, 2007, 4:53:00 PM9/11/07
Wes,

This sounds like what would be called a general network error (GNE) in the non-JDBC world. You will likely need to take some network traces to identify the
cause. Most GNEs can be traced down to a piece of hardware inappropriately resetting a connection.

Evan

--------------------

BA90-4499-8CF...@microsoft.com> <kd32zVb6...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Connection Reset Error with SQLState() = 08S01

>Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:18:01 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver

Evan T. Basalik

Wes Clark

Sep 11, 2007, 7:10:02 PM9/11/07
I had asked the IT guys to look at the network, and they didn't see anything
obvious. Further research led us to suspect that connections that were
sitting idle in the pool for a very long time (hours) were going dead. Is
that possible? Or does the server keep a background "keep alive"
conversation going with the client?

"Evan T. Basalik (MSFT)" wrote:

> Wes,

Evan T. Basalik (MSFT)

Sep 18, 2007, 11:11:00 AM9/18/07
Whenever I think about connection pooling, I usually think in terms of separating the application's connection close event from the one the server sees. If
the application "closes" a connection, the connection gets returned to the pool for use the next time the application "opens" a connection. The physical
connection to the server never gets closed.

Because the physical connection to the server is around for a long time, it is not uncommon for network hardware to either intentionally or unintentionally
sever the connection. If you use something like Netmon 3's NMCap and get a client/server trace, you can usually see a reset coming from some
intermediate piece of hardware.

Evan

--------------------

BA90-4499-8CF...@microsoft.com> <kd32zVb6...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl> <4203A20E-FC68-4CD8-A81A-488ECA4286F5
@microsoft.com> <pDlOAXL9...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Connection Reset Error with SQLState() = 08S01

>Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:10:02 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver

Evan T. Basalik

Manoj Kumar

Nov 13, 2007, 11:00:02 AM11/13/07
We have an identical situation here at work.

So do you think the network hardware is responsible for the connection reset
issues?

TIA,
--
Manoj Kumar

Evan T. Basalik (MSFT)

Nov 13, 2007, 4:01:17 PM11/13/07
The vast majority of connection resets I have seen in the past are due to network hardware. It is technically possible to get it if you kill a SQL Server SPID,
but you generally know when you do that. :)

Evan
--------------------

@microsoft.com> <pDlOAXL9...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl> <C00A8E92-7A86-4480...@microsoft.com>
<rKN7lYg#HHA...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Connection Reset Error with SQLState() = 08S01

>Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:00:02 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver

thehollyhopdrive

Nov 19, 2007, 12:31:00 PM11/19/07
We are having almost an identical problem, except that we are receiving an
SqlServerException: Socket closed. If you look at the trace, it seems to be
happening at exactly the same position.

19/11/2007 16:37:23.320 Thread-22200 threw
encoded.util.storage.UpdateException:
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Socket closed
at encoded.users.ServiceLogStorer.updateStorable(ServiceLogStorer.java:197)
at encoded.users.ServiceLogStorer.updateStorable(ServiceLogStorer.java:35)
at encoded.util.storage.AbstractStorer.update(AbstractStorer.java:111)
at encoded.util.storage.BackedStorable.update(BackedStorable.java:98)
at encoded.users.ServiceLog.end(ServiceLog.java:299)
at
encoded.ivr.nwo.NwoIvrService$ServiceController.resourcesFreed(NwoIvrService.java:432)
at
encoded.ivr.nwo.ResourceFactory$_FactoryListener.resourceFreed(ResourceFactory.java:489)
at
encoded.ivr.nwo.AbstractFreeable$_ResourceListenerAdapter.eventArrived(AbstractFreeable.java:267)
at
encoded.ivr.nwo.AbstractFreeable$_ResourceListenerAdapter.eventArrived(AbstractFreeable.java:245)
at
uk.co.encoded.core.util.dispatch.SimpleDispatcher$_DispatchThread.run(SimpleDispatcher.java:641)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Socket closed
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSChannel.write(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSWriter.flush(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSWriter.writePacket(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSWriter.endMessage(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.startResponse(Unknown Source)
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteStatement(Unknown
Source)
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement$StmtExecCmd.doExecute(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeCommand(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeStatement(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown
Source)
at
uk.co.encoded.core.sql.StatementWrapper.executeUpdate(StatementWrapper.java:281)
at uk.co.encoded.core.sql.Odbc.executeUpdate(Odbc.java:480)
at encoded.users.ServiceLogStorer.updateServiceLog(ServiceLogStorer.java:454)
at encoded.users.ServiceLogStorer.updateStorable(ServiceLogStorer.java:194)
... 10 more

This is being run practically directly from the client to the server, with
only one switch sitting between the client and the server (no firewalls,
nothing fancy, just a normal switch). It also happens in exactly the same
place every time (whilst ending the message in order to start the response).

My gut feeling is that this isn't a network problem.

> >> This posting is provided “AS IS†with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Evan T. Basalik (MSFT)

Nov 20, 2007, 5:59:02 PM11/20/07
Well, technically, you still have a couple network cards in the mix, so one of them could be the source of the problem. I do agree that a switch is unlikely to
be the source for a dropped packet.

However, if this is pretty reproducible, it could be that for some reason the code path is generating a bad TDS packet that is being rejected by the server or
somehow the code path is resulting in a SPID dying on the SQL Server side.

Do you see anything in the SQL Server error logs that matches the failure time?

To be honest, digging into this further is likely going to be tough via the newsgroup. If this is a serious issue for you, I would probably recommend that you
open up a support case with us. Then, we can do things like look at network traces, etc.

Evan
--------------------

<rKN7lYg#HHA...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl> <5D455AB7-1900-4F31...@microsoft.com> <XXoaahjJIHA.4268

@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>
>Subject: RE: Connection Reset Error with SQLState() = 08S01

>Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:31:00 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver

Hanweck

Dec 10, 2007, 5:25:06 PM12/10/07
I'm getting the same error running the application locally on the same
machine as SQL Server 2005. No NIC, no switches. This is a bug.

Evan T. Basalik (MSFT)

Dec 11, 2007, 3:02:58 PM12/11/07
Do you see anything in the SQL error logs at the time of the failure?

Evan
--------------------

@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl> <A7098B45-CE3B-49F6...@microsoft.com> <Nme5zj8K...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Connection Reset Error with SQLState() = 08S01

>Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:25:06 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver

>I'm getting the same error running the application locally on the same
>machine as SQL Server 2005. No NIC, no switches. This is a bug.
>
>"Evan T. Basalik (MSFT)" wrote:
>
>> Well, technically, you still have a couple network cards in the mix, so one of them could be the source of the problem. I do agree that a switch is unlikely
>> be the source for a dropped packet.
>>
>> However, if this is pretty reproducible, it could be that for some reason the code path is generating a bad TDS packet that is being rejected by the server
or
>> somehow the code path is resulting in a SPID dying on the SQL Server side.
>>
>> Do you see anything in the SQL Server error logs that matches the failure time?
>>
>> To be honest, digging into this further is likely going to be tough via the newsgroup. If this is a serious issue for you, I would probably recommend that
you
>> open up a support case with us. Then, we can do things like look at network traces, etc.
>>
>> Evan
>> >From: =?Utf-8?B?dGhlaG9sbHlob3Bkcml2ZQ==?= <theholly...@discussions.microsoft.com>
<C7A101C8-