Hitting RPC request number of parameters limit

Wes Clark

Mar 1, 2007, 8:00:05 PM3/1/07
We are bumping up against the paramter limit in an RPC request coming through
the latest version of the MS JDBC driver (to MS SQL Server SP1). Here's the
stack trace

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The incoming tabular data
stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Too
many parameters were provided in this RPC request. The maximum is 2100.
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.IOBuffer.processPackets(Unknown
Source)
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.getPrepExecResponse(Unknown Source)
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.doExecutePreparedStatement(Unknown Source)
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement$PreparedStatementExecutionRequest.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.CancelableRequest.execute(Unknown
Source)
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeRequest(Unknown
Source)
at
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown
Source)
at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:101)
at com

Is this limit configurable? Is it related to the MS JDBC driver
implementation, or is it more basic than that?

Joe Weinstein

Mar 1, 2007, 10:14:55 PM3/1/07

Wes Clark wrote:
> We are bumping up against the paramter limit in an RPC request coming through
> the latest version of the MS JDBC driver (to MS SQL Server SP1). Here's the
> stack trace
>
> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The incoming tabular data
> stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Too
> many parameters were provided in this RPC request. The maximum is 2100.
> at
> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(Unknown
> Source)

Hi Wess. This is a DBMS limitation, not a driver issue, because the driver is
processing an error message sent from the DBMS. The DBMS's RPC protocol has
that (hard-wired I think) limit.
Joe Weinstein at BEA Systems

Wes Clark

Mar 1, 2007, 11:10:08 PM3/1/07
I guess I'll post the question to the main SQL Server forum, then.

Mayank Modi

May 13, 2010, 3:09:40 AM5/13/10

I am getting the same issue in my project.

Did you find out any solution to this issue.

Thx in advance.

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/1148357.aspx