[Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]net dll not initi

akraai

Jul 13, 2005, 1:58:48 AM7/13/05
We are currently in the middle of piloting a new application using
MSDE, and some of our users are getting the following SQLException
when attempting to query the database. The exception occurs
sporadically, and it only seems to happen after the application is
used for an extended duraton of time. Also, once the exception
occurs, it seems like the only way to obtain a good connection again
is to restart the JVM. Successive calls to get a connection from the
drivermanager fail otherwise.

Our calling application uses JNI to call a java function which is
responsible for creating the database connection and querying the
database.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here's the exception:

[Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]net dll not initialized
(WSAStartup): socket write error
java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]net
dll not initialized (WSAStartup): socket write error
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.createException(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown
Source)
at
com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.tds.TDSRPCRequest.submitRequest(Unknown
Source)
at
com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.tds.TDSCursorRequest.openCursor(Unknown
Source)
at
com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerImplStatement.execute(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseStatement.commonExecute(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseStatement.executeQueryInternal(Unknown
Source)
at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BasePreparedStatement.executeQuery(Unknown
Source)

Kamil Sykora [MSFT]

Jul 25, 2005, 2:26:33 PM7/25/05
Hello,

WSAStartup is a Windows API that is called (typically once) during an
application's startup to start using Winsock calls. Since you have been
using sockets up until the failure, it had to be called prior to that. It
looks like somehow the Winsock got uninitialized or unloaded but the JVM is
unaware of that.

Can you try opening a socket directly when this happens to confirm? You
could try something like:

java.net.Socket conn = new java.net.Socket("localhost", 1433);

and if you get the same failure, I would say this is an issue in the JVM.

Thanks,
Kamil

Kamil Sykora
Microsoft Developer Support - Web Data

Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Are you secure? For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/secur­ity.