ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException during Connection.commit()

Joerg von Frantzius

Jan 6, 2005, 12:56:24 PM1/6/05

using SQL Server 2000 SP3a, and JDBC driver SP3 (Version 2.2.0040), and SelectMethod=cursor I keep on getting the following during Connection.commit():
    at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
    at com.microsoft.util.UtilBufferedDataProvider.getArrayOfBytes(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.util.UtilDepacketizingDataProvider.getArrayOfBytes(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.util.UtilDepacketizingDataProvider.empty(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.util.UtilByteOrderedDataReader.empty(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.tds.TDSRequest.clearReplyChannel(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.tds.TDSExecuteRequest.submitRequest(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerImplConnection.commitTransaction(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.commit(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingConnection.commit(DelegatingConnection.java:238)
    at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingConnection.commit(DelegatingConnection.java:238)
    at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDriver$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.commit(PoolingDriver.java:262)
    at org.jpox.NonmanagedTransaction.releaseConnection(NonmanagedTransaction.java:290)
Does anybody have an idea what this might be related to?

Thanks for any hints,
Jörg.

Joerg von Frantzius

Jan 6, 2005, 1:04:52 PM1/6/05
Maybe a Connection cannot be reliably committed when there is no open transaction? Before the Exception occurs, a few thousand commit()s have happened on Connections without an open transaction, though...

Joerg von Frantzius

Jan 6, 2005, 1:12:29 PM1/6/05
Interestingly, again this one does not happen while in debug-mode (slower execution).

Joe Weinstein

Jan 6, 2005, 1:16:17 PM1/6/05
Hi. This is definitely a JVM/driver bug. It has nothing to do with
what you are doing, even if what you are doing is semantically wrong
or not. Is there any chance you are using this same connection or
objects from it, in more than one thread at a time?

Joe Weinstein at BEA

Joerg von Frantzius

Jan 6, 2005, 1:23:07 PM1/6/05
Hi Joe,
I'm using commons-dbcp for connection pooling now, and I know that it
opens a Thread, but I don't know what exactly it is doing there... My
process is not multi-threaded otherwise.

Joerg von Frantzius

Jan 7, 2005, 5:05:33 AM1/7/05
to j...@bea.com
Hi,
do you per chance know where I can file a bug report for this one? I'm
not sure whether this group is monitored by any MS developers.

Thanks,
Jörg.

Carb Simien [MSFT]

Jan 11, 2005, 12:45:21 PM1/11/05

--------------------
| Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:05:33 +0100
| From: Joerg von Frantzius <joerg.von...@artnology.REMOVE.com>
| Subject: Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException during Connection.commit()
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.jdbcdriver

Hello Jörg,

Can you post the code used to reproduce the error? Please also include the
table schema and stored proc definitions (if any) that are used. I can
file the bug with the developers once I receive this information.

Carb Simien, MCSE MCDBA MCAD
Microsoft Developer Support - Web Data

Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Are you secure? For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Alin Sinpalean

Jan 12, 2005, 4:38:32 AM1/12/05
Joe Weinstein wrote:
> Hi. This is definitely a JVM/driver bug. It has nothing to do with
> what you are doing, even if what you are doing is semantically wrong
> or not.

It's definitely a driver bug, not a JVM problem. It could be a
synchronization issue or a much simpler problem but it's caused by the
driver.

Alin,
The jTDS Project.